Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-22-2012, 11:14 AM
Felurian

It's one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations.

There's all the legalities of who can treat a minor without the parent or legal guardian's permissions that have cropped up. Look at the court battles there have been over parents with certain religious beliefs disallowing treatment of their children.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-22-2012, 12:11 PM
Mutts to you

Makes me wonder if the school has the call parents policy precisely because they'd been sued for calling an ambulance before notifying the parents.

Not having kids - aren't parents made aware of all school policies when they enroll their children? If so, then the mother should have known the school was going to call her (or her husband) rather than the ambulance.

Maybe schools could/should offer release forms for parents to sign, stating they agree to have the school call for an ambulance before notifying them of an accident. With everything computerized, it shouldn't take much time to call up Jill or Johnny's record and see whether an ambulance can be called first.

That said, I worked with a woman whose 8 yr. old son broke his arm at school. The school called her and she told them she would pick him up... and then, she forgot. That poor kid sat in the nurse's office for 3 hours before the ditz finally remembered. Definitely a case where the ambulance being called first would have been better...

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Im not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 09-22-2012, 01:34 PM
Top Dog

It's not life threatening and if the kid is kept still and the parents are easily reached then big whoop. If the kid is left waiting longer than ~10 minutes before calling the ambulance, I can see why the parents would be pissed. I wouldn't be too pleased if the school made my kid wait in pain for 30 minutes or something while they tried to contact me to cover their ass, when I would never sue for something silly like that. When normal people are inconvenienced by a system based largely on stupidity they have every right to be pissed.

I guess the best option is to just have a little box on the medical card saying "if my child snaps one or more of their limbs falling from playground equipment, I want to be notified before an ambulance is called."
Old 09-22-2012, 01:58 PM
*Now with Snark*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
It's one of those "damned if you do, damned if you don't" situations.

There's all the legalities of who can treat a minor without the parent or legal guardian's permissions that have cropped up. Look at the court battles there have been over parents with certain religious beliefs disallowing treatment of their children.
You hit the nail on the head. It's amazing the kind of crap and I do mean CRAP schools are sued for and the STEAMING piles of nonexistent poop that parents complain about.

My sister got a complaint filed to the district this year from a parent whose kid didn't qualify for summer school that they allowed to attend summer school anyways "because it wouldn't hurt" because the kid didn't get enough one on one time with the school speech therapist during summer school as the school speech therapist doesn't work during summer and never has. O.o .... Can you guess what new policies were created for fear of being sued?
Old 09-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Felurian

It's not just the schools, either. The ambulance service, the ER . . .

It may even be that the ambulance and/or ER won't accept a patient without the legal guardian.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-22-2012, 02:06 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I think they did it right. Ambulance costs money, unless its a life or death emergency, the parent should be given the choice to come pick up their child and drive them to the hospital.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-22-2012, 02:20 PM
Just try me..

As a parent I am fine with them calling 911 first.

That said I want to know how long they try and get ahold of the parents before they just call 911. I mean if you can't get ahold of the parents right away does the kid just sit there in pain, upset and scared?

And a break can be very serious. A friend and former riding student recently broke her arm in two places in a bad fall. Multiple surgeries later she is on the mend but it was touch and go as to if there was going to be permanent damage. She also has trouble sleeping as she keeps having nightmares about the break. She heard her bones break when she fell and is having issues dealing with it and she is an adult...
Old 09-22-2012, 02:27 PM
Felurian

Really, there should be a set protocol for how long -- provided it's not an immediate NEED TO GO NAOW sort of thing -- and maybe a form parents need to sign off on at the beginning of the year authorizing reasonable emergency transport and treatment in the event they cannot be reached.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-22-2012, 02:29 PM
Love My Mutt <3

It's something like $200 after the amount health care pays is taken off for an ambulance for a broken arm/non life threatening here. My parents would be PISSED.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-22-2012, 02:33 PM
Just try me..

I took it as this break had a deformity. That is an emergency and intensly painful. I would rather find the 200 dollars and have a child grow up with a working arm than have him sit around in an office in horrible pain whilst they tried to get a hold of me for an hour or two.