Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-21-2012, 12:18 AM
Top Dog

Default jesus' wife

does it really matter? why or why not?
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/09/21/us...rs-debate.html
Old 09-21-2012, 12:27 AM
Felurian

I really don't see why it would matter -- unless someone is clinging to the misogynistic overtones of biblical (as filtered by the early Roman Catholic church) Christianity.

Always kinda thought Sam Kinnison had a good point about Jesus not being married though

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-21-2012, 01:04 AM
<--------Orson

I think there are many factors that go along with the possibility of Jesus having a wife. For instance, a child or children coming of that marriage. I've heard and debated stories/theories about the 'Holy Vessel' that was smuggled out actually being His child. *side note* Whether you believe Jesus was the Son of God or not, imagine being able to trace your lineage back to him.

Certain groups have pointed to Jesus to support NOT being married. I'm sure if it's proven He WAS married, there are plenty of groups that will point to Him for that as well.

I for one have no issues believing Jesus married and produced children during is 33 years. That is a MAJOR part of the 'human experience' IMO and one I don't see being skipped over during His time here.

At the same time, I do not in any way think that small scrap of papyrus proves a didly thing. It may not even be talking about "the" Jesus. Jesus of Nazareth was not/is not the only Jesus in the world. That scrap could be a big fraud/forgery. Such a small piece could even be taken out of context. *shrugs*

It is upsetting to think of what was deliberately lost as far as texts go simply because it didn't fit their agenda to include and/or preserve. So very sad
Old 09-21-2012, 01:26 AM
Fishies!

If he was married, why is it not in the bible? Parts have been added and removed over time, what was their motivation at the time? How has that filtered into modern interpretation?

Catholic Priests and remaining unmarried. If Jesus of all... people... was married, you're going to say marriage is a distraction from the church?
Old 09-21-2012, 02:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
If he was married, why is it not in the bible? Parts have been added and removed over time, what was their motivation at the time? How has that filtered into modern interpretation?

Catholic Priests and remaining unmarried. If Jesus of all... people... was married, you're going to say marriage is a distraction from the church?
Whole chunks are missing from the bible. And was written, and edited, and edited, and edited.....

Honestly, when I did still consider myself catholic I always believed he was married. Many of my catholic teachers taught that it was a possibility as well
Old 09-21-2012, 05:46 AM
Obey the Toad.

Christ did refer to the Church as His bride, so I wonder if it could be a reference to that? It's difficult to judge without seeing the context or knowing of it's authenticity. It doesn't matter to me personally if He were married-it makes just as much sense for Him to be married as to not.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-21-2012, 08:05 AM
Super-Genius

There is very solid evidence that the scriptures we read today were written before 62 AD. I could go on about the issues of the Bible being "edited and rewritten", but that's not the point.

The New Testament says nothing about Jesus having a wife. It never mentions his wife, nor that he was unmarried. In fact, whenever the New Testament refers to Jesus natural relatives, it speaks only of his father, mother, and siblings, but never of a wife. Again, knowing we have solid evidence that the scruiptures we read today were written before 62 AD, why omit such a profound thing?
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:46 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyfalcon View Post
I feel it would solve a lot of issues....

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Christ did refer to the Church as His bride, so I wonder if it could be a reference to that? It's difficult to judge without seeing the context or knowing of it's authenticity. It doesn't matter to me personally if He were married-it makes just as much sense for Him to be married as to not.
I agree.

It's interesting, not life altering. To me though the bible is a novel. I was raised Catholic but have no attachment to religion.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:06 AM
Resident fainting goat

Atheist here so I'm not too familiar with this kind of thing but I was curious, those who do believe in the bible and or Christians or those of similar faith... how do you think of Jesus in general? Like, how would you describe him if he were a friend or somebody you knew for example?

if it's too personal or whatever feel free to ignore this.. but I just think learning about other people's faith is interesting!
Old 09-21-2012, 09:27 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post

That was one of y initial thoughts but in the script I heard it named a woman