Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #441  
Old 09-24-2012, 09:13 PM
Danefied's Avatar
Danefied Danefied is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Southeast
Posts: 1,722
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
while you have a right to FEEL uncomfortable, you do NOT have a right to NOT be uncomfortable w/ what you see & hear in the world.
Perfect thread summation in less than 30 words.
This. Right here. This is the bottom line.
__________________
"We become better trainers by refusing to swallow uncritically what is tossed to us as truth,
by developing our powers of empathy and observation,
and by searching for better ways to teach and educate the dogs we love."
~Suzanne Clothier
Reply With Quote
  #442  
Old 09-24-2012, 09:28 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,291
Default

Saw a woman breastfeeding on the train.
I scooched over a bit and smiled so she could have some elbow room.
We then had a conversation about the book I was reading and how much we hate it when author's put a huge picture of themselves on the cover of their own books and when you open a bag of skittles and there are not enough red ones.

because *gasp* as it turns out.. we are both human beings deserving of respect and kindness and have much more things in common then things for me to stare at or be callous about because it make us different. like the fact that she was feeding a baby.

Behind the drool and the "oh god boobs" and the formula vs milk debate and the baby with the soft spot you are really curious about the function of and the giant baby bag filled with mystery items... there is a person. who deserves kindness and understanding.

and as your mother taught you when you were about 6. and bambi taught us after that.
1. It's not nice to stare
2. If you have nothing nice to say.. don't say anything at all.

Politeness FTW
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #443  
Old 09-24-2012, 10:43 PM
ACooper's Avatar
ACooper ACooper is offline
<--------Orson
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: IN
Posts: 27,689
Default

Thank you Fran, simply and well put. That's the bottom line and nothing I need to add to express my opinion on the subject.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #444  
Old 09-25-2012, 12:18 PM
darkchild16's Avatar
darkchild16 darkchild16 is offline
We are Home.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 21,814
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Saw a woman breastfeeding on the train.
I scooched over a bit and smiled so she could have some elbow room.
We then had a conversation about the book I was reading and how much we hate it when author's put a huge picture of themselves on the cover of their own books and when you open a bag of skittles and there are not enough red ones.

because *gasp* as it turns out.. we are both human beings deserving of respect and kindness and have much more things in common then things for me to stare at or be callous about because it make us different. like the fact that she was feeding a baby.

Behind the drool and the "oh god boobs" and the formula vs milk debate and the baby with the soft spot you are really curious about the function of and the giant baby bag filled with mystery items... there is a person. who deserves kindness and understanding.

and as your mother taught you when you were about 6. and bambi taught us after that.
1. It's not nice to stare
2. If you have nothing nice to say.. don't say anything at all.

Politeness FTW

Thank you!

Also thank you for seeing breastfeeding moms as humans and looking BEYOND the baby. Im not just a mom. Im not just a breastfeeder, or a babywearer or someone who uses cloth diapers. I was a person before my kids and I will be one after.

Also Im sure she LOVED (literally not sarcastiaclly) the little elbow room. Believe me elbow room is ALWAYS nice. Some people in this house dont realize that one LOL.
__________________

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie



Reply With Quote
  #445  
Old 09-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
while you have a right to FEEL uncomfortable, you do NOT have a right to NOT be uncomfortable w/ what you see & hear in the world.
Feeling uncomfortable isn't always a terrible state -- it often is a precursor, even an agent provocatuer to personal growth, especially if we wonder why something is making us feel that way.

Sometimes queries about those whys are the real impetus behind a rant about things that make us uncomfortable.
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #446  
Old 09-25-2012, 03:03 PM
Fran101's Avatar
Fran101 Fran101 is offline
Resident fainting goat
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Boston
Posts: 12,291
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Feeling uncomfortable isn't always a terrible state -- it often is a precursor, even an agent provocatuer to personal growth, especially if we wonder why something is making us feel that way.

Sometimes queries about those whys are the real impetus behind a rant about things that make us uncomfortable.
...do you know how much agent provocateur lingerie I own and have NEVER understood the meaning of the name?! LOL

..this is like the first time I put the rapper flo-rida and FLORIDA together lol
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #447  
Old 09-25-2012, 03:14 PM
Renee750il's Avatar
Renee750il Renee750il is offline
Felurian
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
Location: Where the selas blooms
Posts: 94,266
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
...do you know how much agent provocateur lingerie I own and have NEVER understood the meaning of the name?! LOL

..this is like the first time I put the rapper flo-rida and FLORIDA together lol
And just think, you figured it out in a thread about breastfeeding
__________________
In a controversy the instant we feel anger we have already ceased striving for the truth, and have begun striving for ourselves. ~Buddha

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.


There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.


Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Reply With Quote
  #448  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:43 PM
stardogs stardogs is offline
Behavior Nerd
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: NC
Posts: 4,481
Default

Saw this photo collection and thought of this thread for some reason

http://www.katehansenart.com/2/post/...ler-derby.html
__________________
Erin, Ziva, Kestrel, Aerten, and Snipe
Always in our hearts: The Amazing Maggie Mae


Reply With Quote
  #449  
Old 10-01-2012, 08:52 PM
darkchild16's Avatar
darkchild16 darkchild16 is offline
We are Home.
 
Join Date: Oct 2004
Location: Tallahassee Florida
Posts: 21,814
Default

that is just awesome! thanks for posting!
__________________

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie



Reply With Quote
  #450  
Old 10-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Dogdragoness's Avatar
Dogdragoness Dogdragoness is offline
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Gillett/San Antonio TX
Posts: 3,492
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Saw this photo collection and thought of this thread for some reason

http://www.katehansenart.com/2/post/...ler-derby.html
yeah.... ewww... no thanks.
__________________


Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site