Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-21-2012, 01:30 PM
Top Dog

Really good chance she does it because the baby needs it. A lot of babies don't deal we'll with transitions. One of the best ways to transition is to breastfeed them.
Let it be

I am 100% okay with breastfeeding in public. I breastfed in public and plan on doing it with #2 and no I do not cover up. I am not intentionally flashing you my nipple but I don't feel the need to wear a nursing cover either.

I don't like the in your face attitude either around nursing though. Parenting isn't a contest.
I'd rather be at Disney

Nope, doesn't bother me. The majority of my friends are currently breastfeeding. At the homeschool co ops there is always someone nursing in the moms hangout room. Doesn't bother me at all. Hannah sees them breastfeeding and it prompts her to ask qestions and learn about how our bodies work and how the baby eats. It's a good thing

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-21-2012, 01:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
Um maybe she does it in the daycare room because she feels it's less likely to get her judged than doing it in the gym? Maybe she thinks it helps her baby settle before she leaves him or her? Perhaps she has a long drive and she's feeding her baby so you guys don't have to deal with a hungry infant? Why jump to such hasty conclusions??

They're boobs, you work with small kids who may be breastfed, get over it.
All of us who work there feel the same, it's not just me, lol. Her baby is really well behaved, she loves being left there and hardly ever cries. She also leaves us a bottle so it's not like we can't give her some food if she's hungry. The baby is never, like, "asking" to be breastfed. It's literally just her doing it... just to do it. She also lives about 5 minutes away.

Wow, I'm allowed to feel the way I feel, I'm not going to "get over it". It's not something that I would ever tell her to stop, but I'm sorry, to ME it's awkward to talk to someone who I don't know closely when their boob is hanging out lol *shrugs* I didn't grow up in a family who breastfed, either... none of my siblings ever were, and neither was I, or my cousins, so it's just not common for ME. I understand it's natural and have no issue with people doing it, and sometimes it has to be done.

But in THIS particular situation I am talking about, it's her attitude and almost snobbyness about it, like she WANTS us to see she's still breastfeeding.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-21-2012, 01:33 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I admit, it makes me fairly uncomfortable. I wouldn't say "oh my gosh mothers shouldn't do that", but I'd sure rather it didn't happen in front of me.

So do a lot of other things that I see in public. Just like with those things, I just avoid what I can and ignore what I can't.
Same here. Maybe it's because so many breastfeeding moms have talked about how it's not "just" feeding the baby, it's about bonding with the baby - so to me it's like intruding on something private and personal. It's not a "ew, gross" reaction, it's something else, and I feel like I shouldn't be intruding on this.

The funny thing is whenever conversations about breastfeeding in public come up, some of these moms are the same ones to start ranting how it IS "just" feeding the baby so nobody should care...

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Let it be

Why don't we pump and bottle feed? Introducing a bottle young to Briggs was the worst thing that happened for our breastfeeding. His latch was incredibly lazy so you certianly won't be seeing any bottles around my second at a young age.

Why didn't/don't I plan on covering up? Because it is easier for people to stop looking versus me try to cover my child up. It is within my right where i live to have my boob out if I feel like it to nurse my child. It is within your right to look somewhere else. If someone approached me politely and I was able to move to be able to make them more comfortable i honestly would. But on the bus? No such luck. My baby is hungry and as their mama I am going to feed them.
Top Dog

And yeah if you don't like it look away. My daughter would NOT take a bottle and pumping, if it's not something you already do for work etc is a pain and for me, unsuccessful. It would take me multiple pumping sessions to get half a bottle.

Honestly, this is one area where I fear for our culture! Feeding a baby is the most normal and basic and important things one can do. Everyone should find it NORMAL!

And yes some will still choose to bottle feed or may have to. Totally fine. But that should be the exception or the "different" (not less or not wrong)
Old 09-21-2012, 01:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I admit, it makes me fairly uncomfortable. I wouldn't say "oh my gosh mothers shouldn't do that", but I'd sure rather it didn't happen in front of me.

So do a lot of other things that I see in public. Just like with those things, I just avoid what I can and ignore what I can't.
Yeah, this.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-21-2012, 01:35 PM
Let it be

and really, why is a grown adult's comfort more important than an infants? Being older yo ucan understand why something is being done, even if uncomfortable for you and work through your feelings. A b aby cannot.
Old 09-21-2012, 01:37 PM
Behavior Nerd

Well then it's the *attitude* you object to, not the act. Big difference in my mind.

I have a good friend who breastfeeds in public when we're together. It did take some getting used to because no one else I know breastfeeds in public, but I use the "how would I like to be treated in this situation" rule and I realized that when I have a kid, I don't want to have to hide or have life stop when s/he needs to be fed, so it's up to me to give her the same courtesy and "get over" my initial awkward feelings. It's worked - I don't bat an eye now, and, as you can tell, if someone came up to harass her about nursing in public, I'd be right there to defend her right to do so. She's NOT one of those in your face moms, and I'm not planning to be either.

Bottomline though, you don't know the whole story so why judge? Maybe the kid is so good BECAUSE she breastfeeds?