Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-18-2012, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

Default Awkward point in life.

Anyone else feel that way or been through it?

I feel like I'm at such an awkward point in my life.

I just turned 22. That sounds so... old. Like I should be a lot further along in my life than I really am, lol. Sometimes I still feel like I'm 18/19.

I am just kind of in a rut I guess. I'm still living at home, which I don't really mind so much -- I get my own space, we're all fairly close and get along for the most part etc. But I feel like I SHOULD be in my own place by now and a bit more started in my OWN life and I'm just... not there yet.

A few of my close friends just graduated college, and are actually back at home... so that makes me feel a little better, like it's not JUST me. But... they've got their degree, more than I can say. But we all feel the same way, we just talked tonight... they both hate their jobs, feel like they should be doing MORE with their lives, etc.

I am not back in college again yet, because I didn't wanna just keep going for seemingly no reason, without knowing what the heck I REALLY wanna do. So I'm just working part-time at a daycare and then go walk dogs. I'm making enough for myself for the way I am living now, but couldn't afford my own place on this salary. I'm tempted to go into Medical Assisting mainly because I feel like there's a lot of jobs out there for it... I only need 12 more classes and then 160 hours of internship (which I already know I could do at my grandma's office) to have the AA degree and just be done with it. It's not amazing money, but I could have a "real" job within 1 year or 1 1/2 years. I'm kind of over finding my "dream" job and just getting something realistic that could pay the bills. I honestly cannot picture myself doing 2-3 more years of school to get my bachelors. I loathe school lol.

I'd like to be able to meet a guy... being totally honest I've never had a real boyfriend. I'm not a "loser"... I'm a nice social person, but I really only have a small group of friends that I hang out with maybe once a week, and we just do dinner, movies, etc. These are friends I've known since elem. school. But really I am not even in a huge hurry to get into a relationship, but just kind of want to start living my own life a bit more. But I'm not a bar hopper or a club goer ... I prefer to do dinners, and movies, and outdoorsy things. I have so many places I want to visit with Jackson and different towns and parks and such, but I don't really wanna do it alone.

I feel like... this should be the time of my life! I am capable of getting up and going anywhere, moving anywhere, doing anything I want to do... but I don't wanna do it alone.... and I just don't wanna get "stuck" and then look back 20 years from now and regret not doing more with my life.

I don't know, I'm actually very content in one way, but in another... I know I have to continue to "grow up" and move on to bigger and better things.

I think 22 is just a crappy age.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-18-2012, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

I'm sorta in a rut. Not a major one, but still enough to make me antsy. Not in college, not currently working, no friends, never go out and do anything, won't be able to work outside of the house for the next few years due to living in another country, etc., etc.. Married, though, and my life is pretty stable otherwise. We just got all the orders at all the wrong times for me to get back in school and get a career going.

I do have three Associate's Degrees to back me up for now, though, so I'm not too far behind everyone else. I just turned 20, so I have a few years to catch up to "normal" paces. I'm sure things will be better in a few years, I think this was my time to just sit back and relax, have some time I never got before while I was rushing through jobs, highschool, and so many college hours. Then married, moved, moving again now...It's an odd place to be.

I think everyone goes through some awkward bits of life.
Old 09-18-2012, 10:32 PM
Blackout

Wait till ya get to 26 - talk about awkward and crappy lol.

I'm pretty much at a stand-still myself. I'm needing to move onto something bigger, better, and more meaningful/fulfilling - but I don't know, I'm in a rut as well...hang in there - we'll both (hopefully) have something good, productive, and forwarding going soon. You're better off than me though - I've gotten depressed, anxious, and suicidal.

I'm much the same way with my friends - I have exactly 4 good ones that I can really reach out to and whom's company I enjoy alot but we aren't even lucky enough to get together once a week; they seem to be advancing and going places and being busy while I'm just....left behind. When I work or explore with Katalin - company is fine, but lately I prefer it being just us two.

You'll be fine - don't overthink things and just enjoy everything you possibly can, drink in, cherish, and revel in everything you can. Just be yourself as well - if you prefer certain activities over clubhopping or going to bars then so be it. To each their own.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-18-2012, 10:46 PM
orange iguanas.

I feel like everything you just said applies to me, I'm just a year younger.

Even the people I know who are still in college seem like they are further along in life than I am. Maybe just because they KNOW what they are after, and I am still confused.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-18-2012, 10:50 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

I know how you feel. Sometimes, it feels like time is going but I haven't gotten past turning 18. I think part of that is just not really wanting to be an adult, and wishing things were still simple and easy. At least, it is for me. Everything is so complicated and "real" now.

I just realized that we're all about the same age- right around 20. I really do think that is a weird "transition" phase where its just not quite sunk in yet that we actually have to like, grow up. SIGH!

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 09-18-2012, 11:03 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Sigh. I'm feeling the same way. I'm 20 years old, don't know what the hell I want to do with my life, anything I think I would be interested in/enjoy doing I can't make a living in. I dropped out of college after the fall semester last year to move out here to CO with my husband. All my pre recs are done and I can't afford to spend money on classes that may not apply to my major.

My best friend is 1/3 finished with her degree and just moved up from our community college to the college where she will actually begin working on her real schooling.

I'm just, feeling like a failure. So, you are not alone.

On the upside, at least you get along well with your parents. I moved out abruptly when I had just turned 19 and haven't talked to my dad in well over a year. My mom is lovely though.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 09-18-2012, 11:07 PM
Top Dog

I was a mess this summer, until I finally figured out what I want to do.

Now I'm in a master's program, and in 3 years... I'll be in exactly the same place I was this summer, I fear.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:16 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I feel like everything you just said applies to me, I'm just a year younger.
This. I'm about to turn 21 and I'm really in the same place.

I've never had a boyfriend either. Always had a lot of friends in school, including guy friends, even a couple I really liked but nothing ever happened. It sucks. But at the same time, even though I'm 21, I only just now recently have felt actually ready for a relationship. I mean I was always jealous in school of my friends going out on dates and having boyfriends and stuff but I think subconsciously I knew I wasn't ready yet for that.

I'm also living at home (but honestly I love it, my family is very close and it would be a waste of money to move out), not in school or anything, only just recently got my first part time job. Hell I don't even drive lol. I do want to start school next fall and I'll be getting my license soon now that I have a job and can afford insurance. But it's taken me a while to get to this point.

So yeah not everyone just goes right from high school into the world and those who do often realize they weren't ready and come home or end up being unhappy. I'm personally really happy where I am right now and that's all that really matters.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-18-2012, 11:31 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I'm 26 and I definitely feel like I'm in an awkward point of my life. I just feel like I can't catch a break and I can't seem to actually move forward in life. Most of my friends are married with kids and really stable jobs/careers. I'm married but hell we are currently living in someone's basement instead of our own place. Its definitely just been feeling weird and awkward lately. All I want to do is finally just settle down somewhere. Tired of moving. Tired of feeling unsettled since it seems every moment I'm packing up and moving again. It sucks.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 09-18-2012, 11:47 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I loved 22. Bummer.

It will work out, figure out what you want and go for it.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.