Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 01-05-2006, 06:40 PM
Show Dog

They can get walked 3x a day. Play outside everytime i got to the store so that would be like 2 more times. It will b alone for a couple of hours like 3-6 but I can get my sister to watch the dog, she offered. I've had dogs all my life..but I wouldn't say I'm experienced. My lifestyle is easy and I like to be outside alot. Just hanging around the park
Old 01-05-2006, 07:02 PM
Island dweller

My husky shepherd mix is the best guard dog of my three.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gempress
Hmm. The American Bulldogs I've met have loved and welcomed absolutely everybody. Overall, a horrible guard dog. But they are very formidable-looking, so I'd imagine they would be a good deterrant on that basis alone. But how old are your children? They're very energetic, so they may accidentally bowl over small children.

Perhaps a rottweiler or bullmastiff would be good, too.
I agree, American Bulldogs can look scary but are usually just too friendly for guard dogs if people is what you want to be protected from. They from what I have seen are very good with children. Most Bullmastiffs I have met are similar in personality but slightly better watch (not guard) dogs. (from what I have seen I have only know a few BMs)

I think the dog you are looking for is a Rottweiler, they are very good with kids. The first three dogs I owned in my adult life were Rotts. They are great watch and guard dogs. They seem to have an excellent skill for picking out the bad guys and know who friends are. They are very good with kids, they like to herd (not hurt lol) kids. My Rotts used to gently push my nephews with their butts, and shoulders until they had them where they thought was a safe place.

On time I was in the front yard with my two male Rotts (Moose and Bear) and the UPS guy comes rolling in. My 6 year old nephew was playing with them in the yard. Right away my oldest male stops playing and begins herding Jason (nephew) away from the UPS truck and Bear put himself halfway between Jason and the driver. Neither dog barked or growled but it was easy to see from their posture that they meant business. Keep in mind I never trained them do anything (except basic stuff like Stay, Sit, Down etc)

The only flaw in the Rott (as with all large dogs) is they have short life spans and thus will break you heart sooner. They are more prone to seperation anxiety than other dogs I have owned also

They are truly devoted dogs and will make you very happy.
Old 01-05-2006, 07:26 PM
Island dweller

I guess I should mention that any dog that feels it is part of the family will be protective of you and your home. Knowing that you need to consider other factors. A chihuahua may be protective but it's not going to be that intimidating. Some dogs may not fit your active lifestyle. Others may shed too much or not suit the climate you are in. Others may not be good with children. They are all factors
Old 01-05-2006, 08:46 PM
Top Dog

I wish I could contribute more here.... but I'm too partial to Goldens , which to me cover all issues. I know everyone has their favorite breeds, and I respect them. The only problem with Goldens, they are overbred today, and you have to find a good breeder or rescue.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/