Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-22-2012, 05:47 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
And ditto this. It honestly doesn't matter one way or another. But I personally find theological history far more fascinating than the practices.

And Jesus's story has a lot in common with older gods and saviors as well. Including, but not limited to, Mithra and Krishna. Dionysus, too. But supposedly those were all "devil saviors". "Fake saviors". Which really interests me, because I want to know how we know Jesus was a "real savior"? How does one prove that sort of thing. It's interesting.
Don't forget Odin.

And every Green Man archetype on the planet.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-22-2012, 05:48 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Well, yeah, faith and all. But that's why I personally believe that religion should be a very private and personal thing. No one will ever agree and nothing can be proved unless there's historical fact, so there's really no reason to try and put "faith" into law, schools, and force it on other people. Everyone has their own right to believe in something different, even if a book is telling you that you don't, you really do.

Which is why if Jesus had a wife, and it was proven historical fact, it wouldn't change much. Some people will still declare it a lie, others will add it in to their beliefs, others already thought it. So in the end, it's interesting, but it doesn't really matter.

Unless they find a living descendant of Jesus. Then that might be cool.
Definitely agree, especially with the first paragraph.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Don't forget Odin.

And every Green Man archetype on the planet.
True. And Horus. Think Gilgamesh had quite a few similarities, too. That's one of my favorite stories to read on a rainy day.
Old 09-22-2012, 05:59 PM
Taxiderpy

Perun too. :P

Interestingly, Jove (as in, By Jove!) would have been pronounced by Ovid as yaw-way. Jupiter (yoo-pee-tayr) means "Father Jove" in the dative case. So the Romans totally rogued the Hebrew YHWH and slapped his name on the Greek Zeus. It made my English teacher's head explode. lol
Old 09-22-2012, 06:02 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post

Interestingly, Jove (as in, By Jove!) would have been pronounced by Ovid as yaw-way. Jupiter (yoo-pee-tayr) means "Father Jove" in the dative case. So the Romans totally rogued the Hebrew YHWH and slapped his name on the Greek Zeus. It made my English teacher's head explode. lol
Lol, a lot of Latin translations are like that.

MY head exploded in my Latin classes. Lol. I had this on my binder: "Latin is a dead language, as dead as can be...killed off all the Romans, and now it's killing me".
Old 09-22-2012, 06:06 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post

The Romans pretty much rogued everything. They weren't much for original thinking.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-22-2012, 06:09 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Lol, a lot of Latin translations are like that.

MY head exploded in my Latin classes. Lol. I had this on my binder: "Latin is a dead language, as dead as can be...killed off all the Romans, and now it's killing me".
lol! My teacher HATED when people called it dead. She spent the first semester doing nothing but classical pronunciation, and after that it was the only language we were allowed to speak in class. That's when it clicked with the English class. lol.

She used to be on a panel that Oxford graduate students going for their doctorates in Latin had to present to. She said it made her screaming angry that NONE of them know how to pronounce the language they were trying to get a doctorate in, and nobody else on the panel even cared because it was "dead".
Old 09-22-2012, 06:12 PM
Top Dog

Oddly enough, mine was the same way with the pronunciation. He was neat, though, and in the upper levels it was generally only maybe 3-5 students per class so we were a bit more relaxed with the speaking it in class.

I personally found it sad that our first books were elementary level books from other countries! I never realized until I took those classes that Latin is definitely NOT dead.
Old 09-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
True. And Horus. Think Gilgamesh had quite a few similarities, too. That's one of my favorite stories to read on a rainy day.
i thought gilgamesh was more akin to noah
Old 09-22-2012, 06:42 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
The Romans pretty much rogued everything. They weren't much for original thinking.
For the longest time I thought they at least came up with their own names. It used to irritate me that they "stole" the Greek pantheon and just renamed everyone. Ah well.