Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Did you ever miss school for vacation?
Yes, and I see nothing wrong with it 21 46.67%
Yes, but I wouldn't do it to my own kids 0 0%
No, but I see nothing wrong with it 2 4.44%
No, and I wouldn't do it to my own kids 11 24.44%
Depends (on grade level, ability, etc) 10 22.22%
Pumpkin beer (I need one) 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2012, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

Why are we classing vacations as just fun??? Even ones that are just for fun are still full of education.

I am sorry, a school building is not the only place learning happens...and if missing several weeks of school messes a student up that badly there are way bigger issues going on. I understand the classroom will be disrupted and off and it can be a pain for the teacher, but for the student? No way its going to cause a life long learning problem.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Top Dog

There was only ONE time I missed school that wan't because I was sick or at a doctor's appointment, and that was when I was in 4th grade and we were moving and NOTHING was working out. The moving van broke down, our dog got loose, one of the cats got loose, and when it was all said and done it was 3 or 4am before we were in bed (and we only moved ONE FREAKING BLOCK away). So my parents let us skip the next day and sleep in.

Even doctor appointments were scheduled for inservice days or other days off if at all possible. If I would have missed 3 weeks in my last 2 years of high school, I would NOT have gotten my IB diploma.

I was sick and gone from school for 2 months in second grade. My parents went every week to pick up my homework and drop off the previous week's work, and I kept up without any problems.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Absolutely not. I think it's ridiculous to just brush off a kid's education because, "Oh, well, it'll be fun for them!"

Yeah. Fun. Especially when the other kids and teachers get to lag around because this kid is behind. Or when the kid gets this great idea that's it's totally cool and no big deal to miss school. Then they take off a week in college only to come back and find out they've failed the entire semester. No do-overs. No catch up. Straight up failure. How's that for "fun"? Ugh. It's ridiculously annoying.
Eh, I guess that's the benefit of homeschooling. If you take vacations, it'll be considered part of the curriculum.
I stand by what I said, though. I think certain activities are more valuable than school. It'd be best if they could be scheduled on weekends or breaks, but that's not always a reality. And if someone's so worried about school that they don't allow themselves once-in-a-lifetime opportunities, I believe society has failed in teaching youth how to prioritize. That's not to say they can skip the work, of course, and struggling children who do actually want to succeed would be wiser to focus on school.
One other thing I'd like to say, though, is that the valedictorian in my grade for the IB program missed two months for vacation. So it's definitely an individual issue; the habits and needs of one can't be generalized for the entire school-aged population.
I could probably type up a book on my opinion regarding the place of school in a person's life, but I'll cut myself short here. :P
Old 09-20-2012, 10:40 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillysally View Post
Missing school occasionally for vacation leads to failure in college like slow dancing leads to babies.....

agreed! and well put lol

I do think there should be a limit for how MUCH school you miss, I do think EVERY step should be taken to get your kid caught up, let the teachers know in advance, get your kid back in smoothly without interruption, not expect the teacher to go back and re-teach missed material, do homework, that it probably isn't a good idea for kids that are already behind in school etc..

but to say that it leads to college failure or kids thinking school is less than important or any other GRAND statement about what it could cause down the line.. is ridiculous. There are far too many factors to just assume a few missed days = a life of failure.

We traveled and missed school ALL. THE. TIME. 1 week here, 4 days there, 2 days there, a week and a half there, etc..etc.. all my life. We did the work, we came back seamlessly, we gave notice.
We all went to college with full scholarships and all attend (/attended, my brothers graduated already) all our classes. As well as appreciate, enjoy, and respect school.

If I said that I regretted or learned less seeing the great migration in Africa, the world cup, squishing grapes to make wine in Italy, The Louvre, going to see the Parthenon in Greece, learning swahili in Kenya..then I would've sitting in a classroom, I would be LYING TO YOU I made amazing memories, learned so much, bonded with my family and had an amazing time!

Now, I'm not saying school isn't important.. I'm just saying that it's not just about FUN or "yay taking my kid out of school for hahas JUST BECAUSE!" ...It's also about giving your kid ANOTHER kind of education and experiences. I learned about different culture, food, art, people, languages, travel, customs, places, history, philosophy, FIRST HAND.
I mean, we didn't have textbooks, but that doesn't mean I didn't learn. In fact, I'd say seeing it all first hand really brought the lessons home even more.

And as long as you balance that with being responsible when it comes to their school education.. I see no problem.
(and I don't mean that vacations=world learning replaces school work. I mean that both is attainable.. you've just gotta put the extra work in to make sure your kid catches up and doesn't inconvenience the school/teachers)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't remember ever going on a big trip during school. I know we went on a three day weekend once or twice. But not a big trip. I am pretty sure we were only allowed to miss X days per semester or else you'd get held back.

ETA: We were not very wealthy when I was in school either. We didn't have any money for 'real trips' till I was in high school.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:41 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Why are we classing vacations as just fun??? Even ones that are just for fun are still full of education.

I am sorry, a school building is not the only place learning happens...and if missing several weeks of school messes a student up that badly there are way bigger issues going on. I understand the classroom will be disrupted and off and it can be a pain for the teacher, but for the student? No way its going to cause a life long learning problem.
Because that student still needs to learn what the class is learning, and still participate in the class tests. Yes, you learn on vacation, but I can guarantee it won't be the same things you learn in class, therefore making them not where they need to be class.

Unless you have really lame vacations.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-20-2012, 10:43 PM
We are Home.

Quiet a bit in fourth grade. My grandmother wasnt doing good with her cancer and whenever my mom could get extended time off school we all went and brought our school work with us. My grandparents were both teacher so my grandfather helped me and if my grandmother was feeling up to it she helped me. We would if it was a once in a lifetime thing or family.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 PM
Let it be

Yes we did but not three weeks. 5 days at the most.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:47 PM
I'm All Ears

I really would like to say we could only miss something like 9 days a semester unless it was an illness or something of that nature.

Do some schools just not have an attendance policy?

ETA: I just looked up my old school district and yep, 10th absence and you get a no credit for that class. (in high school)
Old 09-20-2012, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

Hearing some attendance stories from elsewhere makes me realize how lax our attendance was. I mean yes we "had" to attended but the only class they threatened to kick me out of was Spanish 11 because I only went to that class for exams.

And speaking as someone who was terrible with attendance in high school, university is a different kettle of fish and my attendance here isn't a problem.