Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Did you ever miss school for vacation?
Yes, and I see nothing wrong with it 21 46.67%
Yes, but I wouldn't do it to my own kids 0 0%
No, but I see nothing wrong with it 2 4.44%
No, and I wouldn't do it to my own kids 11 24.44%
Depends (on grade level, ability, etc) 10 22.22%
Pumpkin beer (I need one) 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2012, 09:52 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
I missed a TON of school. I wasn't very healthy as a child, so that took up a lot of it. By the time I got to high school, I missed some school for (documented) medical problems, and some because I was just so done with the high school thing. I probably went 3/5 days a week my senior year. The school never cared - I had no behavioral problems, and I had a 3.8, so I was the least of their problems. My mom never cared either, as long as I kept the good grades up.

I do think, however, for kids that are struggling in school, that taking an extended vacation is a bad idea, especially if you as a parent can't help them catch up.
This too. Kindergarten through grade 3 I missed school 3 days/week for intensive speech therapy. Grades 4 and 5 I never stayed a full day at school as it wasn't safe to do so. Granted, grades 4 and 5 was the teacher's/principal's fault.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-20-2012, 10:01 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

In 10th grade the teachers in London, Ontario went on STRIKE for two weeks in the middle of the school year. That time was never "made up". So forgive me if I am not flipping my lid about students going on vacation.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-20-2012, 10:05 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
Lol it is kind of funny that my mOm
And I were just talking today about being sick when working with kids. My mom used tO run an in home daycare for a few years and I remember days where she was so sick that I stayed home from school to help look after the kids lol (I was in grades 4-8 during this time). Not only did I miss school when sick but sometimes I missed school
If she was too sick lol. Turns out... I work with that age group now so YAY for early exposure
LOL same! My mom does in home daycare too, has for as very long as I can remember... and I would have to miss days of school too to help her out, if she threw out her back or something and wasn't able to lift kids and whatnot

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-20-2012, 10:06 PM
Top Dog

Well I do think a strike is very different. They usually benefit the students anyway (lower student to teacher ratio, teachers getting deserved raises rtc) and since the whole class is missing one is not falling behind the others.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
In 10th grade the teachers in London, Ontario went on STRIKE for two weeks in the middle of the school year. That time was never "made up". So forgive me if I am not flipping my lid about students going on vacation.
When I was in grade 5 the teachers here went on strike for all of February and it was never made up either.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 PM
Obey the Toad.

I missed a week once in 4th grade to go to Disney with my extended family-I just took homework with me. Usually our vacations were planned on school breaks and since my mom was a teacher in the same district that was easy to do.

I think I might pull my kids out for vacation depending on age, how they were doing in school, etc. DH is good at math and has to do advanced math for work, so that would not be an issue and in most cases I could help out with anything else (except for chemistry-we both suck at that). Three weeks seems like a lot though.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:14 PM
Very Food Agressive

No and I don't really think it should be an encouraged or allowed habit either.

The only school I missed was for sickness. In 1st grade I missed a week because I had double pink eye and a double ear infection. I was also stuck out of school for two weeks when I nearly died from a massive pneumonia infection and by the end I was chomping at the bit to get back! I liked school though because all of my friends were there and I loved getting good grades. I always felt my grades weren't as good if I missed school for sickness.

It always blew my mind when people left school for vacation! We have a family at the dojo who just froze their tuition for a month because they're going globe trotting for all of October! Freaking ridiculous if you ask me. I will never take my kids out of school for recreational activities for more than possibly one day. Leaving on Friday for a 3 day weekend is one thing, being gone for weeks is an entirely different beast.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 PM
Top Dog

Absolutely not. I think it's ridiculous to just brush off a kid's education because, "Oh, well, it'll be fun for them!"

Yeah. Fun. Especially when the other kids and teachers get to lag around because this kid is behind. Or when the kid gets this great idea that's it's totally cool and no big deal to miss school. Then they take off a week in college only to come back and find out they've failed the entire semester. No do-overs. No catch up. Straight up failure. How's that for "fun"? Ugh. It's ridiculously annoying.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:23 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Absolutely not. I think it's ridiculous to just brush off a kid's education because, "Oh, well, it'll be fun for them!"

Yeah. Fun. Especially when the other kids and teachers get to lag around because this kid is behind. Or when the kid gets this great idea that's it's totally cool and no big deal to miss school. Then they take off a week in college only to come back and find out they've failed the entire semester. No do-overs. No catch up. Straight up failure. How's that for "fun"? Ugh. It's ridiculously annoying.
Missing school occasionally for vacation leads to failure in college like slow dancing leads to babies.....

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:25 PM
such sights to show you

It wasn't all that unusual for families to pull their kids for vacation when I was in school. Never really seemed like a big deal, and although my parents didn't make a habit of it it did happen here and there.