Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

View Poll Results: Did you ever miss school for vacation?
Yes, and I see nothing wrong with it 21 46.67%
Yes, but I wouldn't do it to my own kids 0 0%
No, but I see nothing wrong with it 2 4.44%
No, and I wouldn't do it to my own kids 11 24.44%
Depends (on grade level, ability, etc) 10 22.22%
Pumpkin beer (I need one) 1 2.22%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 PM
Behavior Nerd

I missed school for 2 weeks when I went to Europe with my family. It was worth way more to me than those 2 weeks, and besides, I made up the work from the two weeks *before* I left. I was in high school, too.

Old 09-20-2012, 08:54 PM
orange iguanas.

We didn't go on vacations LOL so no I didn't miss school for them

In junior high and high school, my parents would frequently let me skip a day here or there, have a 3 day weekend... but missing one day is usually not a big deal.

I never had an issue catching up though and in general did just fine teaching things to myself if I had to.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 09-20-2012, 08:56 PM
My dog tickles my soul

My family always tried to plan vacations for the summer and fall/Christmas/spring breaks as best as possible, but there were a couple times where the vacation overlapped the start/end of school by a couple days before/after one of those scheduled breaks.

Granted, there was always the requirement that our grades were up and we had our homework done in advance. If we didn't, we ran the risk of being left with family friends (neighbors) so that we would be going to school and missing vacation. I don't know if my parents would actually have done that to any of us, but we never dared to find out. LOL

That said... we're not talking weeks and weeks of vacation here. The thought of missing three straight weeks of school rubs me the wrong way (even if I were thinking AS a student). But, that's me personally.

ETA: After reading some more comments, I just felt the need to add this...

In my opinion, a "once in a lifetime experience" is very, very different than "spending a month out of school every year to visit my aunts & uncles".

So I stick to my vote of "it depends on the child/situation".
(^^Realized I forgot to mention that before. LOL!)

Last edited by maxfox426; 09-20-2012 at 09:55 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:57 PM
Sport Model Pug

I missed quite a bit for skating. Leaving a day or two early to get somewhere in time or taking an extra day when i got back to rest up. In grade 8 or 9 I took a week off school to go and volunteer at the World Figure Skating Championships. My teachers encouraged me to do it even as it was a pretty special experience for me.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-20-2012, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I work with majority low income families though--there is no money for tutors, and (in my experience) the parents are unable to help the children with their homework.

The kids who miss weeks of school are never my honors kids, they're always in the remedial classes (which means they're already struggling...)
Honestly, while this of course makes it harder for you, it probably makes it even that more important for the child to be able to go. If there is a very limited income traveling anywhere is a big deal but abroad? That is probably going to be a very rare if not once in a lifetime experience for this family.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Resident fainting goat

I thought that said 3 days not 3 weeks! Yeesh.. even at our longest vacation.. I think the most I ever missed was a week and a half.. and even with tutors and a small private school with teachers willing to work my tutors/me, that was a lot to catch up on! (this was in middle school when we went to Africa)

..I would think long and hard about going on vacation for 3 WEEKS if my kid was struggling in school and I had no way to help them catch up.

3 day weekend? Sure.. a few days past vacation.. I get that. Vacations are important too.
But that's nearly a MONTH!

I think it's pretty unfair to expect a teacher to devote extra time to re-teach 3 weeks worth of material to your kid..who was already struggling in the FIRST PLACE.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Honestly, while this of course makes it harder for you, it probably makes it even that more important for the child to be able to go. If there is a very limited income traveling anywhere is a big deal but abroad? That is probably going to be a very rare if not once in a lifetime experience for this family.
They're going to El Salvador to see aunts and uncles and cousins. They go every year, according to the child. (Most of my kids do, actually--it's just that most go for the summer).
Old 09-20-2012, 09:09 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Well, we were poor so never took vacations. So no.
I did miss I think three (maybe two) days of high school when my sister got married and we spent a long weekend in St. Louis finalizing plans. That's the only time I missed school for a "vacation."

Three weeks is... sort of beyond though. Wow.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA NAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-20-2012, 09:16 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Lol it is kind of funny that my mOm
And I were just talking today about being sick when working with kids. My mom used tO run an in home daycare for a few years and I remember days where she was so sick that I stayed home from school to help look after the kids lol (I was in grades 4-8 during this time). Not only did I miss school when sick but sometimes I missed school
If she was too sick lol. Turns out... I work with that age group now so YAY for early exposure

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-20-2012, 09:17 PM
<--------Orson

Yes, and I have no issues pulling my kids out for vacations if needed. While we do everything possible to vacay in summer months, some trips trump school on every level. Education is extremely important, but sitting in a classroom isn't the only education that is important to us.

Funny, Kevin and I were just talking about this last night, lol. Royal cruise commercial came on, I mentioned wanting to go on a particular cruise and he wondered if I meant just us or if we were going to pull the kids.

Though I don't think it's ok to spring it on the school last minute.....a week notice minimum, two really is more considerate.