Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

View Poll Results: Are collars a big deal to you?
Nah....I have 1 or 2 and that works fine 26 37.68%
Yes, I love to buy lots of different collars/harnesses and have quite a collection 21 30.43%
I would love to buy more, but I have to wait 21 30.43%
My dogs don't wear collars or harnesses 1 1.45%
Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-21-2012, 08:37 AM
Water Junkie

I love collars! However, like others, I think it comes in spurts. After getting each dog a nice Paco, and being super happy with them, my 'craving' has lessened some to buy more.

I don't use harnesses, so, no fascination there. hehe.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-21-2012, 08:41 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I used to be obsessed and loved them for my pit bulls but these days I'm pretty mild. I want a Paco for each dog, right now only Backup has one, but otherwise I think we're good.

The malinois don't wear collars that well and I tend to just keep one collarmania leather on Arnold for tie down purposes while Shamoo is naked unless out for a walk.

I really love the boys and their leather gear so my goal, when I have the money, is a nice leather for each girl. I'd like to get matching leads as well too.

Denis prefers fursavers.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-21-2012, 08:49 AM
Top Dog

I appreciate nice leather colors and some fabric ones. I made collars for the danes for a long while just so we could have something unique without paying a bajillion dollars for them (because danes are HUGE and everything has a HUGE pricetag because of it!). I'm more inclined to buy nice collars for the girls because they are cheaper. Generally if I have one nice collar that I adore for each dog, I'm fine. I don't do the whole multiple collar thing that well.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 09-21-2012, 09:25 AM
Top Dog

I also go through phases. There was a time where I just was buying way too many and realized it was unnecessary ... If I saw cheap collars on sale at a pet store or Target, etc, I'd buy them just because they were "sooo cute" and "sooo cheap". Same thing with those little t-shirts from Target they sell for $2.50. I ended up with a big pile of stuff that NEVER got worn since Jackson so rarely wears clothes and when he does in the winter, it's just a hoodie or a jacket. So anyways realizing I had a big pile of stuff never being used, I sold quite a bit of it. And now I resist the temptation to buy things just because they're cheap.

And also, now that I'm really happy with his one tan leather Paco collar, it's pretty much all he wears. I don't have a reason to switch around, it's my favorite on him. So I haven't had a desire to purchase a new leather collar since getting that one and my obsession died down a lot, LOL. I had another Ella's Lead collar that I ended up not liking the color on him as much as I thought I did, couldn't sell it, so I gave it to my dads JRT mix and it looks fantastic on her. So at least it's getting good use and now she has a pretty collar.

I DID just buy him a new Halloween collar that arrived yesterday because he always is decorated for the major holidays and his old Halloween collar was totally washed out, so this was a necessity

So pretty much now, I've gotten down to wanting just 1-2 GOOD leather collars, a few holiday collars, and 1-2 nylon collars for him to get messy in, etc. The same thing has happened with me with any apparel and harnesses, etc, I don't mind spending a little more $$$ to have a GOOD quality coat, or harness, etc, and then only have that one.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
My problem is that I only like leather collars... so I haven't bought any fabric collars in a while. And I also LOVE Fetching Tags

Harnesses are another story- I walk the chihuahuas on harnesses and I LOOOOVE cute ones! We have quite the harness collection.
Oh yeah this is my problem too now! Nylon/fabric collars just don't look as good on him to me anymore. So that makes it difficult because I still need to find one good quality, cute yet plain, collar that is good for water things, muddy times, etc, etc, and I don't want the Paco to get *totally* effed up. He wears it when outdoors and such and running around, but if I know we're specifically going to a place where he's going to get filthy and wet, I don't want him wearing it. Maybe a rolled leather collar would work for this.... damnit this thread isn't supposed to go make me look at MORE collars. I thought my addiction was cured.

Oh and yes I do love my Fetching Tags. My ONE dog now has 4, though, so I think we're done LOL. They'll all last his lifetime. Luckily, I got all but one through great deals.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-21-2012, 09:31 AM
Resident fainting goat

I'm sadly not the kind of person who will remember to switch around collars..so I end up just buying one collar that can take everything.

I used to really like leather.. but I don't like that I can't just throw them in the washer, the smell that sometimes happens, or the fact that I would have to remember to take them off in case of water and I have no idea how to condition/deal with them lol

so now I'm pretty ok with my one black lupine fabric collar that I can wash or just send in and replace for free every time I want to or it gets frayed or anything lol

I do like add-ons like bows that attach and tags though.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I'm happy with just a single nice quality collar per dog. Chloe has had her collar for the past four years. lol I do like to keep various training collars on hand just in case, as well as spare collars for when I have a foster/need a random collar, bit other than that the dogs just have the one.

The three munchkins only wear collars when they leave the house. I don't really know why Mike does that. Chloe wears her collar at all times.

Old 09-21-2012, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I used to really like leather.. but I don't like that I can't just throw them in the washer, the smell that sometimes happens, or the fact that I would have to remember to take them off in case of water and I have no idea how to condition/deal with them lol
Um, you're supposed to take leather collars off when they go swimming? Had no clue. Zuma's paco is still holding up awesome though, so no harm done yet.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 09-21-2012, 09:42 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Um, you're supposed to take leather collars off when they go swimming? Had no clue. Zuma's paco is still holding up awesome though, so no harm done yet.
Aren't you? lol I dunno! I thought they were porous so if they aren't waterproofed and they got wet they started to break down/smell or something
Old 09-21-2012, 10:07 AM
Top Dog

You can oil them up with a little neatsfoot oil...saddle soap them first. If you do that periodically (not too much Neatsfoot) a little water should hurt. Lots of use makes them nice and supple. I use to take my horse in the lake swimming and his bridle would get soaking wet. I didn't go in with a saddle though...just bareback.

I use to use a rolled leather collar on my GSD because his hair worked best with that kind. I love leather, although I don't have anything in leather for the Chi's. The nylon type work fine for them. And they only wear harnesses when on a leash walk, never around the house.

Some of those collars pictured are really pretty!!! I love that southwest looking one....the turquoise, bejeweled one. And all of them really.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson