Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 AM
Blackout

Default Caucasian Ovcharka

One of the most sumptuous looking dogs in existence...but indeed also one of the most primitive and fierce. I like the fact that they have not been modified or monkeyed around with by mankind (for the most part - I'm not sure if they were bred a different manner for the Red Army back in that period).

To everyone here: I AM NOT GETTING A CO FOR MY NEXT DOG!! NOT FOR AT LEAST 15 YEARS AND WITH A HELL OF ALOT MORE EXPERIENCE! This is just to satisfy my curiosity and awe with them for now...

I know alot of LGD's can be really typical as puppies and social and funny - but around 18 - 24 months something just goes off in them and they start showing DA/their guardian side starts emerging. I was wondering about Ovcharka's as puppies - and if their guard instincts kick in at a very early age or if they grow out of their puppyhood earlier than other dogs.

Also, I've heard alot of mixed info about this - are they OK if properly trained and socialized with strangers just passing by them and such? Like not getting up in their faces or anything but like just out on a walk etc I think they are supposed to be aloof and indifferent with cue from their handler and said passer by minding their own f&cking business and not getting in either the owner or dog's face.

Sh!t that's gorgeous...<333

My heart is totally the Kuvasz's - but this beast is just magnificent...
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 08-06-2012, 07:00 AM
Love my pets

If you type in Caucasian in the "search" box in this section, you will find lots of threads about the breed.
Old 09-08-2012, 01:18 PM
Felurian

Dmitri routinely walked his in public, much like I do Kharma, but he (and I) have done EXTENSIVE socialization.

These dogs are incredibly intelligent, adaptable and mentally flexible. They had to be, to survive and thrive in their native environments.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-08-2012, 08:27 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

I've looked at the CAO seriously, but I don't think I could handle the CO. I do prefer the looks of the CAO as well.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I've looked at the CAO seriously, but I don't think I could handle the CO. I do prefer the looks of the CAO as well.
I'm more of a CAO person myself but I don't see them as being much more easily handled than a CO, if you get a proper CAO.

I have never met a CO puppy but speaking generally, very large breeds tend to be slower to mature.
Old 09-08-2012, 08:51 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Wellll, the difference to me was, when I met the CAO's, the owner was there, told them to leave it, and the dogs ignored me as not a threat.

When I met some CO's, the owner wouldn't allow me to meet them because of the fact that they'd probably bite me.

I prefer to meet the parents (at least the dam) of prospective puppies. Now, it's entirely possible that the CAO's were incorrect, or the CO's weren't training properly, but it'll be many years and a taller fence later before I even think of a CAO
Old 09-10-2012, 08:41 AM
Are you dead yet?

Out of the few of these dogs that I've met, one was trained and socialized enough to be "street safe" and not just tunnel vision on how much they hated the people/other animals walking around.

He was completely different off of his property - actually rather friendly and curious. I could touch him off of his property and he loved it when I scritched his earholes. On his property you could tell he took his job of guarding it quite seriously. Still, he had an astounding amount of impulse control and was socialized very well. He didn't perceive completely benign actions as a threat, and would peacefully accept the presence of visitors if they were accompanied by his owner.

The owner of that particular dog was weird, though. His training methods were pretty harsh (though considering the size of the dog vs the size of the man, maybe not so bad) and he was militant about being the boss of the dog. He'd always say "the dog is the boss when I'm gone". The dog seemed to really trust and want to work for the guy despite the "training".

I prefer COs to CAOs but probably won't ever have either. Awesome dogs, just not for me unless I need a farm or my estate very well protected.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:39 PM
Blackout

Renee,

Did Dimitri live with his Caucasian in a urban environment? Like a city or something? Just wondering.

"Correct" Caucasians and their Central Asian cousins indeed need a extremely firm hand - these dogs are REAL dogs - they can't be allowed to get out of hand; consequences can be dangerous to say the least.

As long as it works for the dog and it's human and isn't inhumane and neither one of them is being damaged/harmed by the methods - I think it's fine. I talked to a Russian man with a CAS that lives a few blocks down from me - he's worked with guard dogs all his life and has owned a Caucasian O before in the old country; We chatted about training and I explained progressive reinforcement to him (dog doesn't want to do something - dog doesn't have to do it) - he laughed out loud and put it quite succinctly:

"Well, if it works for the dog - sure. But these dogs need to know who is the boss right away; no questions, no doubts. That's that. You let a CO think he's in charge as a puppy - it's huge trouble later on."

So yeah - everyone I think should do what their dog responds best to. Who are we to judge if it appears harsh/tough? There's not a single general guideline that absolutely ALL dogs will respond to fabulously.

I do want one though - someday, sooner than later hopefully....
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-10-2012, 08:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by StephyMei1112 View Post
"Correct" Caucasians and their Central Asian cousins indeed need a extremely firm hand - these dogs are REAL dogs - they can't be allowed to get out of hand; consequences can be dangerous to say the least.
Sh*t. What the heck do I have living in my house then? I hope I didn't get ripped off and get not-real dogs.
Old 09-10-2012, 08:49 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Sh*t. What the heck do I have living in my house then? I hope I didn't get ripped off and get not-real dogs.
Haha you missed our 'only working dogs are real dogs' thread several years back. *cuddles the fake dog asleep on my couch*