Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-20-2012, 01:09 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Default Where do you find jobs?!

Like...where do you find jobs to apply to?
I feel like there is some sort of secret place that I have no clue exists, where people get together and give out little slips of paper with job descriptions that match what you want to do.

I've tried Craigslist, I've tried search engines like indeed, etc. and really all I seem to find are scams, Target, and super specific jobs like engineers which I'm obviously not qualified for.

Are jobs still posted in papers? Where do people find job postings that aren't just crap?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:16 AM
Resident fainting goat

I found my job because I happened to be following this dog supplies/self grooming/walking store on facebook and they mentioned they were hiring. I called like 5 minutes after they posted lol
My last job I just walked into this store I thought was pretty cool and asked if they were hiring lol left my application/number on file and a month or so later emailed asking if there was any positions available, told them I had dropped off an application a month ago and was just eager to know if anything had opened up. I guess they appreciated the enthusiasm because they hired me lol

Make connections, ask around, call and ask, walk in and ask, edit your resume to highlight what looks best to that specific job each time you send it in....

Oh and I've had ZERO luck with job sites as well. lol especially craigslist.. there are some really interesting ads on there.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:17 AM
Twin 2.0

The trail guide gig I had over the last couple of summers came of of a chance glance at the newspaper. Selling cars came through sheer dumb luck...hit up Dealership Row with a stack of résumés and was hired on the spot with Subaru. The last boarding job was via Craigslist.

Usually I just go out to a bunch of places I'd like to work at and see what happens. I just had an "out of curiosity" interview with a holistic doctor's office yesterday and that came via networking connections/Facebook.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:34 AM
Taxiderpy

I've had a lot of luck through craigslist finding jobs in the past. Recently... have had a lot of interviews which is a plus. A couple of them wanted to hire me but wanted me to move closer, which I can't afford to do until I've been working full time for a few months. Sigh.
Old 09-20-2012, 01:37 AM
The Littlest Hound

I found my vet asst job on craigslist...

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)
Old 09-20-2012, 01:38 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Online mostly, but I work in the public sector and look on council websites. But I'd also check company websites, charity websites, job websites, call recruitment agencies etc. In the UK we have the jobcentre. It's a statutory agency to help people find employment, deals with benefits etc. They list most jobs and companies have to advertise there if they're recruiting (or something).

Id say 99% of my jobs before my "career" were found through recruitment agencies.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 AM
Super-Genius

For IT jobs, hands down the best is www.dice.com. There are often entry level, 'will train' helpdesk type jobs there. So don't think its a waste if you are not an IT type.

Also try www.careerbuilder.com and www.findtherightjob.com. Findtherightjob can be a little spammy, but there are some good ones in there too. Also, don't waste time building a profile there, they send you all kinds of stuff you don't wan't anyway.

Good luck!
Romans 8:28

R.I.P my beloved Teddy, my "squishy monster". You will never be forgotten.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:10 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Indeed crawls other websites (like Monster) and imports jobs so it's like a mega-search engine for jobs.
Craigslist definitely, but you have to be careful; if an ad seems weird, copy and paste the job info into Google. Odds are you'll see the same job posted in a million different cities, and it's a scam.
Yes, jobs are DEFINITELY still posted in the paper! So check there too.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-20-2012, 09:48 AM
Top Dog

for gov't jobs go to USAjobs.com, although i know this doesn't apply to most people here a good resource if you have a current security clearance is clearancejobs.com

also just try googling the specific job you're interested in
Old 09-20-2012, 09:56 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Every job I've had has been through networking with friends. Can you start there?
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.