Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Dog Art and Pet Paintings

Old 09-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Default Modeling clays?

Right now Im using Scupley original to make my models, but its a pain in the arse to try to get fingerprints out of. Lots of sanding, and Id like it better if it held its shape at room temp a bit better. Its a very soft clay which is both good and bad.

Ive picked up some 2oz packages of fimo soft, two different kato colors and some premo sculey. So far ive only played with the translucent kato, but its ridiculously hard to get kneaded and workable.

Any suggestions as far as that goes?

Im building armatures for my larger pieces and that helps but imnfinding it difficult to get details set in the sculpey without leaving fingerprints.

Anyway, who here works with this type of clay? I know Romy does so im hoping shell chime in here too
Old 09-20-2012, 04:35 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

A sculpey created dog went for 500 at Art Unleashed this year, and it was only a couple inches big. IT is a good medium, you just got to figure out the ins and outs of it. Clay is my medium, I don't know about others.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 09-20-2012, 08:07 PM
Aussie Obssessed

I have used Super Sculpey in the past and have sold one 3" tall sculpture for $110. I have recently switched to Sculpey Firm for the color mostly.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:02 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Thats awesome. Ive considered making small sculptures on commision, mostly because ii really enjoy it but also because ive got a lot of free time, rofl

Nice to see that there can be a market though.

Im really really liking the premo sculpey. Its very nice. Of course its all the most expensive. The kato ended up a lot softer than i expected after it was conditioned i guess. Its okay, but it looks like even small ones are going to need armature support.

The fimo im not a fan of either. Based on the two ounces ive got, i wouldnt buy a block. I wish my internet would work, ive got a couple id like to show you guys that are works in progress.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:11 PM
Top Dog

Wow, it's been a long time for me since sculpting. I'll have to go look it up, but I really hate the "melting" factor in unbaked colored sculpey, but found this huge brick of plain white sculpey that is so easy to work with, but since it's white you do have to paint it. I can't say as I've actually found one that didn't hold some amount of finger prints. I also hate Femo, I have a few bricks that I sometimes mix with a sclupey to get softer, but may just end up eventually throwing them out if they're not rock hard by now (it's been at least two-three years since I last picked it up). One thing you could try to get out the finger prints, cover them up, I bought this semi-gloss clear sealer and after applying it to the pieces they were completely smooth, but it might not be ideal for your application.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:10 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Here's a few that I've made and are baked already. I'm most pleased with the skinny dog. I think it may end up being my bosses dog, but so far I don't know. I'm less pleased with the sighthoundy one as his foot doesn't want to cooperate with me.

What sort of sealer did you use? I'm trying to figure out some way to seal the Ozzy I made. He's been painted with acrylics, which is what I'm planning on painting all of them with. But something I could seal them with after sanding, before painting, and then again after painting would be ideal.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:28 PM
Top Dog

I have no idea where the bottle went! But I know it was made by sculpey so on a quick Google search it came up with it, "Sculpey glaze", I'm sure I paid too much for it, and there's a cheaper way to seal them, 50% of what was left went bad (hard in the jar) a year ago because I didn't use it up in time, it air drys in minutes.
Old 09-21-2012, 07:35 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

lol. I just saw that, it was like three dollars for an ounce! I just found you can use Modge Podge though, so I'm going to try that.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:49 PM
Mutts to you

Sis hasn't done any modeling in awhile but when she did, she liked to use Super Sculpey. She'd build a wire armature and also use styrofoam balls to keep the sculpture from getting too heavy (she liked to sculpt horses and the styrofoam would dissolve in the oven, leaving the pieces hollow). Sis used the wooden sculpting tools used for clay for the details, as well as that little metal thingy (helpful, huh?) for smoothing out the bumps.

Hopefully this will show up - it's a Saddlebred she made a few years ago. Painted with acrylics but I don't think she sealed it with anything.

I'll have to dig up some old photos, Sis also did 'cartoon' sculptures, usually horse related (the pitfalls of jumping, eventing and/or foxhunting).

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey

Last edited by Snark; 09-21-2012 at 10:00 PM.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:38 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

That is gorgeous!!! I wish I could find Super Sculpey in a store. All I've found is Sculpey III and Premo and the Original kind.

I mixed some Fimo and the original together tonight, I actually quite like it now.