Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-19-2012, 10:03 AM
Top Dog

26 here. I've got a decent paying job I like but still feel this isn't what I should be doing. Mid 20s seem to be just as bad -.-

Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Twin 2.0

Wait until you hit 29 and are in the same position many of you are combining about at 21. That takes awkward to a whole new level...try dating adult-type people and be living at home with your parents still.

I managed to drag myself out of that about a month before I turned 30 when I landed this job at the Subaru dealership. Now I'm living on my own...ish...have a roommate because rent is stupid high around here for any place I'd feel comfortable living in on my own. And I'm playing catch up on a lot of stuff that needed to get taken care of over the last few years.

I'm single, really don't have any time to go out and meet people due to my crazy and unpredictable hours, so I usually just end up hanging out with the guys from work at Applebee's or something.

Meh, it's a life. I really wish I had more free time.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

Old 09-19-2012, 11:13 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I think -- hope -- that finally I'm over the "realistic" BS, realizing that, realistically, I don't fit there, never will, and draw way too much fire from office politics and the women's locker room . . .

So it's time to go big or go bust and do the unrealistic. Fsck it.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-19-2012, 11:27 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
Yep, that seems pretty accurate.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-19-2012, 11:31 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I hope I'm finally out of my awkward stage. I'm 9 credits shy of graduating with my BS, I have a full time job doing something I enjoy, I'm living on my own, I'm in a great relationship that we are both planning will result in marriage down the road when we're out of school...it's just very nice right now. Sucky because until next year we can't progress anywhere, but its nice how it is currently.

Junior year, though....I hated my job, hated having to live with my parents, hated that I had no concrete job plan and didn't know what I wanted to do with my life or even know what I would be doing after graduation, hated that I was alone (but picky enough it was going to take the right guy for me to get involved with, and finding him looked slim to none)...it just sucked.

Old 09-19-2012, 11:50 AM
Top Dog

I'm almost 21, in a long distance relationship, desperate to move out with my boyfriend, but I'm working for peanuts and can barely even afford to go visit him every few months. I work with my dad in construction but I don't have a real job. I'd call it an awkward stage...

"When the power of love overcomes the
love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix
Old 09-19-2012, 06:49 PM
Top Dog

This thread does make me feel 10000x better. I'm so glad I'm not the ONLY one.

I really wish all of us Chazzers could just move to the same state. On the same street. And start our own little Chaz community, LOL... maybe then we'd all be happy?!? Or drive each other crazy... hmmm?

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-19-2012, 07:01 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
This (only I'm still in my first after college job because it's not bad ). The absolute best thing I did was power through that "Oh FRICK I have no idea what I want to do with my life" phase. I hit that phase at 20 and, after taking an aptitude test, I signed up for the major that looked like it would have the most jobs and make decent money (which turned out to be computers). I got lucky and didn't hate it but even if I had I probably would have kept going. If I'd switched majors (again) my parents might have killed me.

This anecdata is really just to say....I like what I do (most of the time) but it's really just a means to an end. My job provides us with the support to have what we need to live and enough to play around. I spend 40 hours a week working but....it's really just something I do to survive. So my advice is to find something interesting as a job/career and use it to do things that you really enjoy on the side. And for all you stuck in hated jobs I feel so much for you - I hated that (it was restaurants for me, blegh) and it's a bitch to get out of. I hope you guys can find something else soon. <3
All of that. Like word for word.

I hated my major, which was math (kinda, I hated the theory classes and loved the calculus). I don't use it now, but I do use my computer classes.

Powering through the last two years of hell was definitely worth it. Getting OUT of school and getting that accomplishment of a degree was very worth it too. It was nice to just close the book on that part of my life and move on.

I think this whole notion that you MUST love your job absolutely is just unrealistic. I know that sounds pessimistic but I honestly believe it's the truth. Find something interesting enough and that you like well enough and pays enough to live on, imo. My job isn't my life, it funds my hobbies and funds my being able to live on my own, which is priceless.

My job now is in a field I never thought about at all, and a job I didn't know existed at all till after I graduated. It's interesting and keeps me busy. I don't have a burning passion for the industry but it's interesting. Am I going to stick with it forever? Not sure. I might go back to school one day.

I find it's still awkward in some ways. My friends are all either still in school/living with their parents, or they're married with kids. I often feel like I'm in a weird stage then. I guess it is generally expected that by the time you get a "real job" you have a SO...
Old 09-19-2012, 11:25 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I really wish all of us Chazzers could just move to the same state. On the same street. And start our own little Chaz community, LOL... maybe then we'd all be happy?!? Or drive each other crazy... hmmm?
Yes please! In all honesty if you lived closer, I'd totally be your roomie. You're awesome and we could jam to JB together. Lol!

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)