Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM
Top Dog

I don't know, those are the two I know so that's what I mentioned. There's plenty of OB classes and agility classes and tracking classes and nosework classes that last a month or two and then you move on to the next level. There isn't that structure with bitework sports
Old 09-19-2012, 03:31 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
What sport DO you get that in?
Wondering that as well lol.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-19-2012, 05:59 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I don't know, those are the two I know so that's what I mentioned. There's plenty of OB classes and agility classes and tracking classes and nosework classes that last a month or two and then you move on to the next level. There isn't that structure with bitework sports
I guess that depends heavily on how you define the next level. In the good ones, you're working what most would call fundamentals til the day you retire your dog.

Sure you can find course series that let you "move up" quickly to running courses and such but then you don't have the fundamentals, the dog gets hurt or the handler gets frustrated when they try to compete, and most don't last long in the sport unless they are just in it for the social aspect. And there will always be someone who will work with them...for a fee

Honestly it's not that different.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 09-19-2012, 06:40 PM
I'm All Ears

Our place does 'levels' in that you start with pre-agility then foundations for three class sessions. Then Agility1 next for three. That's what they put on their website. Technically it seems they just have each class do whatever that class needs. My trainer said the only class with a 'manual' of what they need to do is the very first one and it's just basic basic focus work and flatwork and shaping for the most part. The last week or two you'll see tunnels and jumps.

We're months of training in with Mia's class and haven't done all that much obstacle work.
Old 09-19-2012, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

I wasn't trying to imply that one would become an agility pro after a 6 week course or anything remotely close to that. I referenced the 2 sports I'm familiar with, I tried to clarify myself. I talked about the sports I do because it's what I know.

and although no matter what sport you're doing, if you're competing at a high level it takes a lot of work and skill. There's no doubt about that, but they are different.
Old 09-19-2012, 08:54 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by release the hounds View Post
I wasn't trying to imply that one would become an agility pro after a 6 week course or anything remotely close to that. I referenced the 2 sports I'm familiar with, I tried to clarify myself. I talked about the sports I do because it's what I know.

and although no matter what sport you're doing, if you're competing at a high level it takes a lot of work and skill. There's no doubt about that, but they are different.
I didn't mean to sound defensive...I hope I didn't. Just trying to explain what I see. The sheer number of people who try agility is pretty amazing, but not many of them stick with it long.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
Old 09-19-2012, 08:58 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Our place does 'levels' in that you start with pre-agility then foundations for three class sessions. Then Agility1 next for three. That's what they put on their website. Technically it seems they just have each class do whatever that class needs. My trainer said the only class with a 'manual' of what they need to do is the very first one and it's just basic basic focus work and flatwork and shaping for the most part. The last week or two you'll see tunnels and jumps.

We're months of training in with Mia's class and haven't done all that much obstacle work.
We have levels but I mean I'm in the "master" class which is one of the best classes in our area with great instructors...and we mostly work short sequences and finesse fundamentals. We're not running full course...what would be the point? We try to set up specific scenarios to test understanding of fundamental concepts like wrapping your body around an upright or reading certain lateral sends or whatnot. It's all fundamentals. We just mix em up and string em together a bit.

Old 09-19-2012, 09:42 PM
Dafuq?

I wonder if part of the rentention rate isn't purely economical. I haven't had a young dog in need of class in several years, but back then I rarely took classes unless I had a coupon or something. I know from the trainer's point of view, prices reflect their commitment and time. But for the average dog owner, $100 is a big commitment. Then they realize that after the class, they're in for even more financial sinkage when they start trialing, or even if they're going to build a course and "just play" at home.

I took one agility class with Loki and didnt go for a 2nd. I used a coupon to get in the first class, so that eliminated the financial concerns. Another reason I didn't go back was because everybody turned their dogs loose on the course when class was done. I didn't want to be the jerkoff spoiling their fun by pointing out it wasn't the dog park. Lol!

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...