Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-18-2012, 06:30 PM
Cloudcandy

Talking So...Internet dating...

Tell me what you think

Have you tried it?
Have you paid for it?
Have you met people off "the internet" or dating sites?
What experiences have you had/heard of...good or bad?
How dangerous is the infamous "stranger of the internet"?

Just let loose with your fingers and tell me all.

Background story:
I've always been curious about having pen palls.I also was a dodgy teenager who met teenage boys of chatrooms (and no they weren't peados...just awkward teenage boys).Since I was 17 I havent really used the internet for meeting people much...until...
The other day a mutual friend told me and my friend that she'd tried "OKCupid" and so me and my friend also joined...mainly for the lols...but....I've actually met someone I really really like talking to

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

I personally have never tried it (I met DH when I was 17 and we started dating when I was 19) but I have many friends who use some of the bigger ones and while there have been duds, many eventually did meet their spouse through it.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:38 PM
We are Home.

Thats how my husband and I started talking. Single Parent forum.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 09-18-2012, 06:55 PM
Got Floof?

Have you tried it?

Yes, once.

Have you paid for it?

Yep... that same once.

Have you met people off "the internet" or dating sites?

I went on a date off an dating site. It was an epic wreck. We were nothing alike in person.

What experiences have you had/heard of...good or bad?

I wouldn't say that my experience was the fault of the dating site. That's the nature of blind dates, you win some you lose some. I didn't do it again because I really wasn't having any issues getting dates from people I've met face to face.

How dangerous is the infamous "stranger of the internet"?

Not dangerous as long as you practice some safety things. Never let him drop you off at your house, always meet in public places, whenever possible take your own car, don't reveal more than you're comfortable doing, don't go to his house on the first date if he's a stranger.

I know a lot of us have broken that last rule, it doesn't make doing it less stupid or less dangerous though :P

Kobe the Fluffy Cloud, Alaskan Malibu-te, Mar. '05
Syl the Stormblessed, Border Collie, Dec. '13

Old 09-18-2012, 06:56 PM
Blackout

Have you tried it? Yes
Have you paid for it? No - nor would I ever.
Have you met people off "the internet" or dating sites? Yes - not dating sites though.
What experiences have you had/heard of...good or bad? Equal amounts of both
How dangerous is the infamous "stranger of the internet"? ?? Whom?

My one and only experience with net dating was disastrous. I've met casual acquaintances thru the net and we've met up in person - they've been lovely and we are still in contact. As far as pursuing a relationship thru those channels goes though....not for me.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-18-2012, 07:00 PM
Cloudcandy

Hmmm interesting feedback so far.
I've been surprised by the amount of seemingly normal people my age who do this.

"If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats."
Lemony Snicket
Old 09-18-2012, 07:07 PM
Twin 2.0

I've met a number of Chazzers, does that count? LOL

I signed up for eHarmony waaaay back in the day after Daniel and I broke up, never paid for it so never met anyone off it. Did go on a date with a kid from Myspace though, laughed the entire time and never went out with him again. I've got some friends/co-workers trying to convince me to sign up for Plenty of Fish but meh. I think I'm about ready to start dating again, it's been almost 6 months since my last bf and I broke up, but I don't know if I'm ready to just jump into online dating. I think I'll try the normal route of asking friends to set me up.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:08 PM
We are Home.

I was 19/20 when I met my husband he was 25/26

the first time we "met" was at the airport when he flew to FL, went out to eat and brought him to my house LOL. I also had quite a few big dogs that he knew would bite LOL. We also had been talking for a few months. MIght not have been the best way to go about it but meh lived and married the guy LOL. I also stayed at the hotel with him his first trip (had my own car and it was across the street from my friends house though)

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 09-18-2012, 07:15 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Have you tried it? Yep. okcupid can be pretty hilarious but plentyoffish is the worst if you really want a laugh...

Have you paid for it? No, and I wouldn't... based on my experiences with matches on free sites I wouldn't think paying would be different. OTOH I suppose if there were a paid site called HotChristianMenWhoLoveDogsAndDon'tWantKids.com I would dish out money for that!

Have you met people off "the internet" or dating sites? Never anybody off a dating site but off the internet, yes.

What experiences have you had/heard of...good or bad? My friends met on eHarmony and they are married. Another friend of mine tried it and met a few guys, one she really liked and dated for a bit but she was religious and he was not, and not only just not religious but mean about it, so they broke up. She ended up being set up with a friend of a friend and they are married now so she quit the internet dating thing.

How dangerous is the infamous "stranger of the internet"? Honestly I don't think "stranger of the internet" is inherently more dangerous than anybody else. People were getting abducted, raped, and killed before the internet too. And usually it's somebody you know who rapes you, so... I don't think a random stranger online is inherently any more dangerous than anybody else. I think using common sense is a good thing... and carrying mace is a good idea in general, LOL.

It is surprisingly common these days. It's always weird to see people I know personally on dating sites LOL. One of my co-workers showed up as a match on okcupid and I was like AUGH ABORT ABORT NO *close window*

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-18-2012, 07:32 PM
Cloudcandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Have you tried it? Yep. okcupid can be pretty hilarious but plentyoffish is the worst if you really want a laugh...

How dangerous is the infamous "stranger of the internet"? Honestly I don't think "stranger of the internet" is inherently more dangerous than anybody else. People were getting abducted, raped, and killed before the internet too. And usually it's somebody you know who rapes you, so... I don't think a random stranger online is inherently any more dangerous than anybody else. I think using common sense is a good thing... and carrying mace is a good idea in general, LOL.

It is surprisingly common these days. It's always weird to see people I know personally on dating sites LOL. One of my co-workers showed up as a match on okcupid and I was like AUGH ABORT ABORT NO *close window*
POF is hilar! Literally getting so many laughs from just browsing the amount of nutty people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkchild16 View Post
I was 19/20 when I met my husband he was 25/26

the first time we "met" was at the airport when he flew to FL, went out to eat and brought him to my house LOL. I also had quite a few big dogs that he knew would bite LOL. We also had been talking for a few months. MIght not have been the best way to go about it but meh lived and married the guy LOL. I also stayed at the hotel with him his first trip (had my own car and it was across the street from my friends house though)
I think good common sense is the way to go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
I think I'll try the normal route of asking friends to set me up.
See this is how I normally think.When single friends used to say to me "Where can I meet a guyyyy" Id say stuff like "Just live your life and someone great will pop up at some point".Now that I'm actually single I see where shes coming from.

I also have really enjoyed being able to search for for really specific guys.ie: Men,21-32,6ft-6ft5,Anywhere in the world,With dogs....

Lemony Snicket