Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-19-2012, 03:33 PM
Top Dog

Most resource guarding is fixable. To me, saying you don't want to live with a resource guarder is almost like saying you don't want to live with a dog that isn't house broken... It's fixable, so why get rid of the dog just because you don't want to put in the time to fix the issue? (Granted that a dog not being house broken doesn't involve biting.) Also, I see a HUGE difference between resource guarding and flat out human aggression.

"Only when the last tree is cut, only when the last river is polluted, only when the last fish is caught, will they realize that you can’t eat money." –Native American proverb
Old 09-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post

That is not RG, however, it's an issue that I could see people jumping to "shoot the dog" and I really question if they could be so callus looking into that dogs eyes, evaluating their failures as a handler, and killing the dog.

"If you don't train me, don't blame me." is a silly cliche poster my boss just put up at work but damned if it's not pointed with an issue as such.
I think this is a really good point. Then having a breed that often shows RG as young puppies still with their littermates, I hardly think it is a reason to jump to "the dog must die". IME most RG can be worked with and managed...even with kids in the house.

Quote:
It's actually extremely common with bully breed owners to preach acceptance of nature and DA/DR(/bad manners) but god forbid a dog display a natural reaction like stress reactions and RG.
I've noticed this too.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
It's actually extremely common with bully breed owners to preach acceptance of nature and DA/DR(/bad manners) but god forbid a dog display a natural reaction like stress reactions and RG.

However, I know, respect, and understand many including Kady. It's totally reasonable to say one has no desire to live with a resource guarder. I never again want a dog who is DA, natural behavior or not.
For me, I accept DA/DR because it's a breed trait in the dogs I own. HA is not; although, I don't tolerate that in any breed. However, I would not willingly accept a DA/DR dog into my house.. luckily, none of my dogs have any DA/DR.

Now, resource guarding I think is totally workable, in some situations. In THIS situation, the dog needed to be rehomed or PTS, IMO. The people had been working with multiple trainers for quite some time, with no success. And, the dog actually was getting worse (went from just food guarding to then showing guarding behavior when crated).

Piper was food aggressive as a puppy, I worked with it and she's totally fine now. I expect my dogs to let me do whatever I want to them when they're eating, and they all do. Maybe I'm just lucky, I don't know.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:16 PM
Glutton for Crazy

The saddest part is I would bet money that this behavior has been made worse by these "trainers".
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-19-2012, 04:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
The saddest part is I would bet money that this behavior has been made worse by these "trainers".
Wouldn't surprise me!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Top Dog

I would be worried about having a resource guarder in my house if I had a young child. I most certainly think resource guarding is fixable in many cases, but to say all you need to do is feed the dog in peace is not quite accurate. I was at my friends house and was eating a snickers. I dropped the wrapped on the floor, the dog was laying next to where it landed, and bent down to pick the wrapper up at the same time the dog decided she wanted the wrapper and she bark/snapped at me. If she was a less inhibited dog I could have gotten bitten, and it had nothing to do with the dog's meals. All it could take for their kid to be maimed is her dropping something on the floor and picking it up while the dog is going for it.

I do think it's a fixable behavior though, at least a lot of the time, so I would have a really hard time putting down a dog for the behavior unless the dog is so unstable it would attack you for entering the room or something where food is present. But I agree that if someone doesn't feel safe having that dog in a home with their young child, if they don't think they can be hyper vigilant enough to prevent a bite, there is nothing wrong with looking at other options. But I don't think CM is a humane one.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-19-2012, 04:51 PM
Felurian

I can understand Kady's point of view, and we all get to make those choices about the dogs we own and decide what we can and can't live/work with.

The shame comes when someone screws up or allows a trainer to screw up their dog and the dog pays the price.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-19-2012, 05:00 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
I won't comment on anything else, but, Sako is the same way if he knows I'm mad at him. He won't completely roll like Junior did, but he does the slinky, low tail wagging, ears back stuff. He's just naturally super submissive, and sensitive. He's never been abused a day in his life (actually, he's been the most coddled of all of my dogs and gets away with more crap than the other two ever have).

So, just saying that just because a dog does that doesn't automatically = OMGABUSE!
Yup^^^
Old 09-19-2012, 05:13 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by kady05 View Post
well, if it were me, and i had a kid, i would never own a dog like that. Actually, that dog would've been in the ground had it offered that kind of behavior. Apparently she bit both owners multiple times over it, and cesar was the 3rd or 4th trainer they worked with. What if, god forbid, the kid dropped food on the floor one day?

I'm not saying i agree with how cesar handled it, but my opinion is that the dog would've been pts had it of been in my care. But then again, i come from a "pit bull" frame of mind.
thank you
Old 09-19-2012, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

I just train my dogs NOT to resource guard. I also train them not to act like asshats to other dogs.

I personally wouldn't own another Soft,sensitive dog. Especially an AST or APBT. I **** sure wouldn't breed a dog with that temperament, not breed standard at all.

At the end of the day to each their own. Anyone that feels what CM did in this video was OK and that Jr's reaction in the 2nd video was OK....has some serious issues. Nothing about rhw behavior in these videos is ok.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.