Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygirl View Post
I'LL TYPE THIS IN BOLD SO THAT YOU CAN U N D E R S T A N D.... I WOULD PUT MY DOG DOWN IF SHE AGGRESSIVELY ATTACKED ANY MEMBER OF OUR FAMILY. IF SHE BIT HARD ENOUGH TO DRAW BLOOD. SHE WOULD BE TAKEN TO THE VET, AND BE INJECTED WITH SODIUM PENTATHOL AND SHE WOULD PEACEFULLY PASS AWAY.
I'm sorry you all are so confused. The above ^^ is what I have truly been attempting to convey... I hope it clears things up.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:33 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

It's really the very classic, and very old, "blame the victim" argument at play here.

"She should have been dressed like that if she didn't want it"

"The dog shouldn't have growled if she didn't want to be pushed into a fight" ect ect et all

Also, I'm in love with Beanie for using the word non sequitur and Adrienne for her post on page ten.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I don't understand..? I have had to put down a couple of kittens that were deathly ill. As well as a wild bird that was injured- that was pretty awful as i DID have to break its neck. Never a dog no.
The point is when its a dog you have a relationship with a dog and its a situation that IS fixable, your mind my change. Even when you feel the dog is no longer safe, you will question your decision, wonder if you could do more. That is part of owning a dog. Choosing to PTS for behavior issues is SO complicated and not easy at all....especially in a case like this where, YES, the dog was pushed and tormented into a theoretical corner
Old 09-20-2012, 11:34 AM
Chihuahua Power!

Quote:
I would really question my husband if he didn't defend his family. The neck breaking was a bit exaggerated...
Your husband is a human, and "defending" his family against a dog protecting his food is just... unnecessary.

Dogs are impulsive. Humans (are supposed to) have the ability and logic to think things through. It sounds like you and your husband are more impulsive than any dog I've ever met.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 09-20-2012, 11:35 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
The point is when its a dog you have a relationship with a dog and its a situation that IS fixable, your mind my change. Even when you feel the dog is no longer safe, you will question your decision, wonder if you could do more. That is part of owning a dog. Choosing to PTS for behavior issues is SO complicated and not easy at all....especially in a case like this where, YES, the dog was pushed and tormented into a theoretical corner
No my mind would not change. Hopefully I'm never in the position to make that choice, but if she bit my family members she would be planted.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:36 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Jessie~ View Post
Your husband is a human, and "defending" his family against a dog protecting his food is just... unnecessary.

Dogs are impulsive. Humans (are supposed to) have the ability to think things through. It sounds like you and your husband are more impulsive than any dog I've ever met.
There are a lot of Dr. Phil's on here Ive noticed! My husband and I have made the choice long ago that we mutually agree- a biting dog isn't worth having.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
I'm sorry you all are so confused. The above ^^ is what I have truly been attempting to convey... I hope it clears things up.
Maybe you should type it slower. Clearly the bold didn't work on us confused people.

I have a blog!! TeamShortLegs - Last updated 10/13/2013
Old 09-20-2012, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
No my mind would not change. Hopefully I'm never in the position to make that choice, but if she bit my family members she would be planted.
You have no idea......NOTHING is set in stone
Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taqroy View Post
Maybe you should type it slower. Clearly the bold didn't work on us confused people.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
I don't understand..? I have had to put down a couple of kittens that were deathly ill. As well as a wild bird that was injured- that was pretty awful as i DID have to break its neck. Never a dog no.
And, to turn your logic on you, because you've never been there you can't possibly seem to grasp it.

A dogs life, no matter how emotional you are, is still that-a life.

You raise it, you make mistakes, sometimes the mistakes bite you in the ass (literally) and you are now faced with the question: what did I do wrong (see: if you don't train me, don't blame me) and what do I do now OR should we throw in the towel and kill the dog?

You look at the dog, look at your photos, look at your videos, review the trips you've taken, the milestones you've passed, the mistakes you've made that they've forgiven you for and you weigh your options. Do we go forward and change our lives for the better or do you give in to the easy route and ask someone to kill your dog for you knowing that you've likely caused this and you're likely teaching the next generation how invaluable a life is in comparison to the work it will take admitting you messed up and are now responsible for cleaning up the mess.

This dog in question was likely not born aggressive. It may have offered a guarding behavior as a puppy (most every pup will try unless mom and siblings have beaten it out of them) and someone fought them on it. They teased the dog thinking it was the right choice and they then turned it over to a trainer with a mentality much like yours who tried to beat the fight out of the dog, just like in humans you cannot beat the fight out of every dog, instead of fixing the problem they made it worse, and worse, and worse.

Had anyone had the sense of mind to make humans near the bowl a positive thing at the beginning (or middle or end) we wouldn't be seeing this video.

There are so many easier and more humane ways to handle dogs and humans that it break my heart and hurts my head when people jump to the abuse for foundations or to clean up a mess they created.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.