Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygirl View Post
I would euthanize and move on to the next. Eventually one will find a dog worth owning for 15 or so years.
I'm curious... if I took one of your bombproof dogs and killed it because it lacked drive, how would that sit with you? Dogs without drive aren't "worth" much to me.

ETA: Y'all know this is just a theoretical and I would never kill a dog because it didn't tug, right?

Old 09-20-2012, 10:10 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
My god, what a sad, sad take on things. My dog's food is her's, she needs it to live and as her owner I'm obligated to provide her with it. She does let me take it (and anything else she has) because she trusts me, not because I own it. My ego and my imaginary "rights" have nothing to do with things.

The question of whether to PTS a dog shouldn't be one of "worth." It should be a choice based on consideration of all the complicated factors in the dog's life and the handler's life that either do or do not make the dog manageable and retrainable. Again, not because we're making excuses, but because it matters.

Deeming the dog "worthless" is so vindictive and childish.

Have you ever worked with dogs in a professional capacity, rubygirl?

ETA: I'm willing to bet that there are many dogs with less that rock solid temperaments that are worth their weight in gold to their owners. Lucky for them.
Great post. Lemur says thank you.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:11 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Great post. Lemur says thank you.
And he shall have many Lemur cookies in return.

Old 09-20-2012, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
But it happened to the original owners several times. Did they punch and kick? He did not punch or slap the dog in the face btw- he used his fingers and jabbed her neck.
Look, I don't advocate Cesar Milan. I don't care what he does. He is the one that wants to keep aggressive dogs alive and rehabilitate them or whatever.
I wouldn't do it. I would euthanize and move on to the next. Eventually one will find a dog worth owning for 15 or so years.
Do we know what they did do? I know someone said in the full episode they talked of hitting her with a broom? I didnt see it so dont know. ALl I do know is in this video, she did not go straight to biting. She gave plenty of warnings.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:13 AM
Felurian

Quote:
I don't tolerate s***. Maybe I would if I didn't have kids (my oldest is 7) but as for right now I'm very sensitive about the dogs I allow into my home.
The dog I have right now (aside from some puppy mouthing- she is 15 months) is bomb proof. My kids can climb on her, sit on her, grab her flews and take things out of her mouth.
wow.

Honestly? Not being malicious -- but frankly I wouldn't allow kids who did that around my dogs. I don't allow it and if I see it happening to someone else's dog I step in. There's no reason for a dog to die because someone hasn't taught their kids to have respect for animals -- or their own safety.

My cousin's four year old girl stomped Kharma's foot (on purpose -- I saw it since I never allowed her near the dogs if I wasn't present). I never let her come near any of mine again. Ever. Her mother's not allowed around them either, for that matter.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
WOW.
Wow.

So, since you like ridiculous examples, a kid who kills himself over internet bullying... too sensitive and not worth anything? A POS?
You didnt like my comparison between a dog and a human so don't do the same thing. A dog is a DOG. A dogs life has little value in comparison to my family.
People will divorce because my "husband didn't like my dogs". People feed their dogs Orijen but yet their kids are dressed in rags. People spend insane amounts of money on their pets when their are (oh yes I'm going there) starving kids in Africa or bomb victims in the Middle East. People spend their time talking going to dog flyball compititions and forget their child's soccer game.
I'm not saying any of you do the above but what I'm say is that people's perceptions and priorities are skewed in this society.
Put down the man biters and move on to the dogs that aren't dangerous to their families and to the general public.
I AM permitted to have opinions, yes? You can counter my opinions and that is fine but it won't make a difference in how I think (all my cave woman ways lol).
I don't mind being logical on a very primal level. My kids are my life. Anything threatens them and they are dead.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:16 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
wow.

Honestly? Not being malicious -- but frankly I wouldn't allow kids who did that around my dogs. I don't allow it and if I see it happening to someone else's dog I step in. There's no reason for a dog to die because someone hasn't taught their kids to have respect for animals -- or their own safety.

My cousin's four year old girl stomped Kharma's foot (on purpose -- I saw it since I never allowed her near the dogs if I wasn't present). I never let her come near any of mine again. Ever. Her mother's not allowed around them either, for that matter.
Yea maybe you wanna quote the rest of it...
Old 09-20-2012, 10:18 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenmagick View Post
Do we know what they did do? I know someone said in the full episode they talked of hitting her with a broom? I didnt see it so dont know. ALl I do know is in this video, she did not go straight to biting. She gave plenty of warnings.
Are you sure it was hitting her.... are you sure it wasn't... nothing. sorry I couldn't help myself.
Old 09-20-2012, 10:19 AM
Felurian

If you think about it, it's WORSE if you let kids act like that . . . while you supervise.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I'm curious... if I took one of your bombproof dogs and killed it because it lacked drive, how would that sit with you? Dogs without drive aren't "worth" much to me.

ETA: Y'all know this is just a theoretical and I would never kill a dog because it didn't tug, right?
Well if you had it then it wouldn't be mine and would be no skin off of my a**.
As long as death is swift and there is no suffering...