Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-18-2012, 10:23 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Okay, I'm gonna be the oddball out of those who live in Colorado, as I don't really care for it.

I love love love the mountains. Love them. If I could live in the mountains, I would probably live here forever.

That, and the lack of severe cold, is really the only thing that I like about CO. There are like, no trees, except in the mountains. City runs into city runs into city. You seriously don't know where one ends and the next one starts. It is freaking HOT. Dry heat isn't fun. Be prepared for allergies you didn't know you had. HUGE spiders and snakes.

I grew up in Michigan. Hubby and I decided to try ourselves out here just for the heck of it. We've been here about 8 months. We decided to move back in May. Haha.

I do love all the places to take the dogs to hike. And it is quite dog friendly here. Back home, I remember I could take the dogs into TSC and Family Farm and Home. Here, they can go into Jax, they can go into Lowes, Home Depot, and several other places.

I don't particularly care for Denver. Too many people, too much going on, and the driving is terrible. I have only been to Springs once, so I cannot give an accurate account on that except that it is really pretty. I live in Fort Collins, and I actually quite like it. You are about a 10 minute drive into the mountains. It is a little more rural as well. It is a college town, though. Close proximity to CSU, though that can have it's upsides if you have animals, as they are well known for their veterinary programs. A lot of the vets here work with the college. Also, you are about 20 minutes away from my favorite place ever in CO, which is Eagle's Nest. There is also a super nice hiking/biking trail, and a super secret kind of private dog park thing that is way fun.

The wind is bad in the spring. Here, it kicked up at 5:00p on the dot and went all night from May to late June. Tornadoes I don't think are a huge concern here, but wildfires. They are pretty bad... We almost had to evacuate.

I <3 Steamboat Springs, and if I were to live here forever, I would move to Kremmling. OH! I will miss seeing all the free range cattle.

Sorry this is so long. Pictures to make it better!

High Park wildfire. Started like 10 miles from the campground driveway.

Part of the Burn zone in Livermore.

In Kremmling.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 09-18-2012, 10:26 AM
Twin 2.0

Stupid phone...anyway, yes, trees. Here around the Denver suburbs (Littleton, Highlands Ranch, etc) there are more deciduous trees because landscaping. There are also a ton of cottonwoods, which turn a bright yellow in the fall. Aspens can run the gamut from yellow to deep red apparently. But like Taq said, we're not exactly known for being lushly green--this is technically a high plains desert.

The wind can get nasty sometimes, mostly in the spring, but it's not a constant thing. You just sort of get used to it and learn to carry a brush in your purse.

The Denver Co. BSL sucks balls, but Denver Co. is actually really itty bitty. Most of the bigger, surrounding counties are pretty lax on dogs.

I like living around the Denver metro area (i am so not suited to living in the actual city) because you're smack dab in the middle of the state. It's equidistance to Fort Collins and CoSpgs. Less than an hour to the huge peaks in the central range. Tons of stuff going on all the time. Public transportation!
Old 09-18-2012, 05:52 PM
Top Dog

I don't have a ton to add, but be prepared for the tornado drills. My friend recently moved here from Florida, and for three months, she thought she was going insane and hearing things when they sounded. Eventually, one interrupted our conversation and I said something like "God, I hate those drills." She was like, "YOU CAN HEAR IT TOO?!"

I love it here. I like being near a big city but having lots of escapes to nature. (Denver's not even that big.) Summer can be hot as hell, and BSL is dumb, I know. But it's actually a really dog-friendly city.
Someone mentioned tourists, and that's definitely true. If you don't like being around too many people when you're out in nature, go on a weekday or during an off-season for a particular attraction.
Here are a couple good reasons to come to Colorado:

Old 09-18-2012, 06:02 PM
Twin 2.0

I didn't know you were in CO!
Old 09-18-2012, 06:31 PM
I'm All Ears

I have thought about moving to Colorado one day in the future. I'm not sure if I ever will, but I've always wanted to. There's some good sized oil companies out in Denver that I've thought about looking into. But I don't see myself moving for at least 4 or 5 more years if ever.

Oklahoma's kinda boring. There's not much to do here and not much hiking opportunities. I'm pretty terrified of moving out by myself so far away in an area I know nothing about though.
Old 09-18-2012, 07:17 PM
Are you dead yet?

I'd love to live in Colorado, save the nasty BSL!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:36 PM
Will Creep For Sheep

Colorado is a great place to live. It is hot in the summer and cold in the winter- and majorly dog friendly. It doesn't get super windy like NM, I grew up in NM and it is similarly dry but not as windy or hot.

Negatives- expensive. Not super easy to find jobs.

Positive- everything else. It is gorgeous, the air is clean (other than the occasional fire, lol!), and there is a lot to do. It has a fantastic music scene and some great museums. I would definitely recommend the Botanical Gardens and the Denver Museum of Nature and Science.

Major cities-

Fort Collins: College town, home of CSU, which is one of the best vet schools in the country. Very agricultural, but also very "collegey". CSU is more of the farm type school, as opposed to CU in Boulder. Near a lot of good dog stuff- herding trainers/shows/agility and there are some amazing dog businesses up there.

Boulder- very liberal, most people refer to it as the hippie town. Tons of shopping, beautiful campus (CU) and the whole town is very pretty. Also- it is the home of the world's largest Subaru-only repair shop (You will see Subarus EVERYWHERE! They are the unofficial state car of CO). Pearl Street is a must see for anyone who loves cool little shops and good food. Near Golden, home of Coors Beer and also near Red Rocks.

Denver- Obviously some of the best stuff in CO is in Denver. Coors Field, Mile High Stadium, the Pepsi Center- and downtown has some of the best concert venues and bars that you can find. There are lots of great restaurants and a lot of cool vintage stores. The Denver Center for Performing Arts is wonderful and has a beautiful theater that is pretty famous called the Buell. Also near there is the Colorado Convention Center that has some cool events.

Colorado Springs- Also has a college, but it isn't very large. Colorado Springs is famous for the Garden of the Gods, Pikes Peak, the Olympic Training Center and the Air Force Academy. Manitou Springs has a lot of fun touristy type things to do like the Cog Railway which goes up Pikes Peak, and there is a great zoo called the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. Near CO Springs is Pueblo which has the Colorado State Fair.

Any other questions? I know this state like the back of my hand

www.brigadoonbordercollies.com
http://brigadoonbc.wordpress.com/

Do you want your dog to respect you because you demanded it, or because you truly earned it?
Old 09-18-2012, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

I don't know a whole lot about it... but my uncle lives out there and I've been probably been 6-7 times over the past few years. I LOVE it. The weather has always been gorgeous, the scenery is just awesome. I do always get congested at first, and often a bloody nose. I think it's just sooo dry, I'm not used to it. So wake up blowing my nose like crazy every morning and my lips get super chapped, LOL. When I went skiing, I was so winded and out of breath walking up our hotel steps because of the altitude.

But yeah overall I've loved it EVERY single time. Not sure I could see myself living there or not though. I didn't know it got so hot? That actually surprises me. The lack of humidity would be awesome though.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-18-2012, 09:59 PM
Top Dog

I've been through CO and Denver a few times. Not much to say other than I love the scenery and absolutely hate the traffic in Denver.

I wish I could move the mountains a little more north. This area of Montana is pretty flat. And terribly windy.
Old 09-18-2012, 11:08 PM
Custom User Title

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Depends on where you live. If you're west of Aurora, pretty much none. The Eastern plains get it all.

You should so move here! I've got a friend in one of the local VW clubs I can introduce you guys too and there are a number of C&D's around here.
BTW, how is the area set for VW dealerships?