Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 PM
*Now with Snark*

It really depends. Some here use dogs as begging tools - others use them as guard dogs in camps and they can be poorly contained biters defending drug stashes. Then there are the mentally ill... never met a crazy person yet who had a normal dog.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:02 PM
Top Dog

There are risks sure, but the dogs arent aware of those risks and for the most part IMO seem to lead very happy lives.
Old 09-17-2012, 08:16 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Yeah i will go against the grain and say I don't really like it. NO shelter from the elements, possibly no food, definitely no medical care, free roaming, etc. for some reason we crucify people who have homes who can't afford medical care or yhe best food but then give hero status to homeless with dgs. I don't know. Can't take care of yourself, can't take care of another being.

I also agree with beanie. I guess most of my feelings for why dogs shouldn't be out there applies to the people, too . Only the people don't really have a
Choice (sometimes) but they do have the choice when it comes
To the dog

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 09-18-2012, 12:42 AM
Taxiderpy

Well, the homeless folks in our local camp are homeless because of the economy. They lost their jobs and homes got foreclosed on. A few actually do have jobs now, but don't make enough for rent and the housing authority's assistance list is backlisted for several years. A few are on SSI. There are single people, some married couples, they're all nice people. They have tents, and the folks in our neighborhood banded together to make sure no dogs or people were out in that big ice storm this last winter. Mike got his dog neutered. A few saved up and bought a trailer which is just kind of parked out in the field but they take care of it and don't let it get junky.

Homeless doesn't mean you have no shelter. A lot depends on climate too. Here we have a nice temperate climate. Not too hot or cold regardless of seasons. Somewhere like Michigan I can see it being a problem in the winter. It's not really a problem here.

There just isn't a one size fits all answer. Especially in our current economy when previously respected members of our communities are finding themselves in dire straits. I'd be willing to bet that despite the lack of cushy dog bed, their dogs are happy to stay with their people rather than sit on the concrete floor of shelter before getting the needle.
Old 09-18-2012, 06:35 AM
I'm All Ears

I don't have a problem with it and certainly think the dogs are better off than on the street. But I also think it's all too easy to romanticize the situation. I do worry about medical care for both the person and the dog. I don't think it's an ideal situation by any means.
Old 09-18-2012, 08:05 AM
such sights to show you

Well, it's better than being alone, dead, or languishing in a shelter. And I think there are probably homeless dogs that are very happy. But honestly I think some romanticized version of a homeless dog's life as being awesome 24/7 probably isn't true in most cases.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:15 AM
<--------Orson

Well it's not ideal for the owner or dog due to basic needs that may not be met...BUT.....

I'd much rather see a dog wandering around with a homeless person than tossed in the backyard and ignored, or chained up with the collar growing into their neck....how many of THOSE have we seen on shows like animal cops? Hey, Patrick's owner had an apartment and food.......yet he was starved and dumped down the trash shoot, left for dead. Not an isolated starvation case as we all know.

And to Sparks: I'm ok with ANYONE doing the best they can do for them and theirs. Purina is the best you can do? Fine with me, I've never put anyone down for what they provide. But please don't tell me your dog is peeing blood and you can't go to the vet TODAY, then show me pictures of your new car/outfit/puppy next week

You're homeless and share a can of beans with your dog? Great! You're living in a cozy neighborhood, wearing nice clothes, watching your big screen and your dog is locked out back and you don't even bother to give his dinner tonight? Ya, I have a problem with you.....
Old 09-18-2012, 08:27 AM
Sport Model Pug

There's a case in town here of a woman with now 3 dogs and is frequently homeless living in a tent. This is not a warm time of year either, it's getting into the negatives overnight now. Basically she has an 11 year old female JRT and her male puppy from 2 years ago and now she has a 4-5 week old puppy from the two of them. The puppy is not healthy, the 11 year old mother is not healthy, but the woman can't afford vet care for her dogs but refuses to surrender them to rescues offering to help the dogs and refuses to take them in because she's scared the vet won't give them back because she can't pay. She wants a promise she can have all of them back when she's not homeless (but like I said before she has a history of cycling being homeless and not) and that's just not possible.

So while I think in some cases it's okay, I find stories of homeless people and dogs highly romanticised.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 09-18-2012, 08:46 AM
Top Dog

It depends on how they're taken care of.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-18-2012, 08:48 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kat09Tails View Post
never met a crazy person yet who had a normal dog.
Arnold and I would like to say Hi.

There, now you have.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.