Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-17-2012, 09:02 AM
Top Dog

Default Hiking/Camping?

I was wondering, is anyone here as obsessed with the outdoors as I am?!

I have always been into camping and now I'm starting to get into hiking... And I'm trying to learn to mountainbike as well. (Yes, yes, I'm 20 and I can't ride a bike... but I am getting there!)

Where all do you guys go camping and hiking at? Do you take your dogs with you? I'm trying to find a new campsite. The last time I went camping I had a small dog but now I have two large dogs and they aren't allowed, and I refuse to leave my girls at home.

"When the power of love overcomes the
love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix
Old 09-17-2012, 09:12 AM
Top Dog

Uh ya! I hate spending time indoors when the weather is nice, I feel massively guilty that I'm wasting good weather.

I hike with my crew at a semi-closed DNR park by my dad's house. It's huge, one main "road" that goes through the middle and then a ton of game trails throughout the park itself. You can spend hours getting lost back there. It's an old farm property, the houses are still standing and are super creepy. Because there is very rarely anyone else back there, I let the dogs off leash. However, I'm sad that hunting season is upon us because even though we stick to the main trails, generally the hunters are friends of ours or family members and I feel awful if I end up scaring game away for them.

I have a couple other parks that I hike with my crew. On Thursdays I work a 12 hour shift and get a 1.5 hour lunch break. So I take whatever dog is with me at work that day and we hit a local park for some off-leash hiking time. LOVE this park, and there rarely is anyone else there during that time. It's really busy on weekends as its a popular horse camping area, so we just avoid it during those times.

I have a few other places we go and that I can let the dogs off leash but they are further away.

I love camping and wish we could go more often and most likely will now that we are down to two dogs. I want to try hike-in camping but I don't think the husband would be too thrilled with that.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:07 AM
such sights to show you

When I'm camping, I usually go up to the Northern part of the state. Sometimes state park campgrounds, sometimes private campgrounds or cabins. I haven't done wilderness camping for a long, long time, all car camping these days but I still enjoy it. There are some pretty remote and bare bones state Forest campgrounds available, and some pretty swank private campgrounds, and everything in between depending on what i'm in the mood for. And there's tons of places to hike up there, trails and... not so much trails, aheh.

Closer to home, I'm lucky enough to have a very nice wooded off-leash dog park on some acreage on the Mississippi River bottoms just a few minutes away from my house for hiking. And I can take the youngsters scootering or bikejoring at one of two nearby state parks or on the biking trails along the river.

Old 09-17-2012, 11:52 AM
Let it be

I love camping but sadly being carless and pregnant with the combo of a toddler, a dog AND a cat I am kind of out of luck in regards to going right now.

I spend a lot of time hiking though and being outside. On average I do 4-6 hours a day. Briggs loves it too. He is so into the outdoors.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

I usually go to a place called blue hole. It's a family owned spring fed swimming hole. The let me have yoshi there unleashed.

Old 09-17-2012, 01:35 PM
Glutton for Crazy

We do, a lot, and it's one of the reasons we're so excited for the Oregon move.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-17-2012, 01:38 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I've wanted to move to Oregon for such a long time! Boyfriend hates the cold weather though and wants to stay in the southeast. I hope I can at least visit for a camping trip some time.

Jimi Hendrix
Old 09-17-2012, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Uh ya! I hate spending time indoors when the weather is nice, I feel massively guilty that I'm wasting good weather.

I hike with my crew at a semi-closed DNR park by my dad's house. It's huge, one main "road" that goes through the middle and then a ton of game trails throughout the park itself. You can spend hours getting lost back there. It's an old farm property, the houses are still standing and are super creepy. Because there is very rarely anyone else back there, I let the dogs off leash. However, I'm sad that hunting season is upon us because even though we stick to the main trails, generally the hunters are friends of ours or family members and I feel awful if I end up scaring game away for them.

I have a couple other parks that I hike with my crew. On Thursdays I work a 12 hour shift and get a 1.5 hour lunch break. So I take whatever dog is with me at work that day and we hit a local park for some off-leash hiking time. LOVE this park, and there rarely is anyone else there during that time. It's really busy on weekends as its a popular horse camping area, so we just avoid it during those times.

I have a few other places we go and that I can let the dogs off leash but they are further away.

I love camping and wish we could go more often and most likely will now that we are down to two dogs. I want to try hike-in camping but I don't think the husband would be too thrilled with that.
I'm glad nobody hunts where I take the girls hiking. I wouldn't want to ruin anyone's hunt, either.

I wish I could let mine off leash but they're not that trustworthy yet. Still got work to do.

Jimi Hendrix
Old 09-17-2012, 02:27 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
And one of the reasons why I'm so immensely jealous of your move!
Old 09-17-2012, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

Haven't been for a long time, but Mt. Rainier national park (Cascades) (following pics) is something to behold. You have to get use to the high elevation though when you go from sea level. There are other beautiful places closer to me. I just haven't gone since I moved back. I'm not really into camping anymore but love to hike, as long as it's not too long. lol. But Washington state is amazingly beautiful.

Olympic national park (Olympic mountains in Washington on the peninsula)

"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson