Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-02-2006, 01:38 PM
Snow Girl

Default Attacked!

I was out walking OC on New Years Eve around 6-ish and we were passing a house with the garage door open and two guys inside working on something (couldn't see what). Suddenly a big black lab and an even bigger flat coated retriever mix come zooming out of the garage barking their heads off. They hesitated at the end of the driveway when both the guys called them to come back but then the flat coat crossed the street anyways and the lab followed suite. Both dogs attacked OC, the flat coat at his neck and the lab chewing on his tail. To my surprise OC for the first time in his life actually tried to fight back!! He bit the flat coat on the ear. I kicked the flat coat in the side and screamed "HEEEEEEEEEEY!!!!!!!!!!!!" at the Lab which made both dogs back off and cower. I grabbed OC's collar and put him between my legs so niether dog could get at him without me being right there. By this time the guys had come rushing out and were yelling at their dogs to get back in the garage (which they eventually did) and then got all appologetic about the incident. I mumbled a "Forget about it" to them and walked off with a very riled up OC (he was acting like he was ready for round 2!).

After a couple blocks I spotted Smokey, an old Alaskan Malamute who OC adores. I cautiously let OC sniff him, unsure of how the attack was going to leave him but he was absolutely fine with Smokey! Phew! A little while later we ran into a beagle and after that a pug, both which OC had never met and he was his normal self with both of them as well. I was so relieved to see the attacks hadn't dampered his dog-loving, playful spirit at all! We were lucky!

Oh ya, and there were no marks left on OC from the attacks, had it been a dog with a lot less fur I would expect to see something but it's tough to get to his skin! What's with OC and getting attacked by black labs though? This is the 3rd attack in his life and all 3 a black lab was involved!

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 01-02-2006, 01:40 PM
RedyreRottweilers

See, this is the sort of incident I live in fear of. My dogs WOULD fight back. And no matter the circumstances, they would get the blame.

I carry a weapon when I walk my dogs. Either a large stick, or a riding crop. I just can't stand that people do not keep their dogs confined.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:08 PM
GSP/Lab Mix!

I get scared of that too. There are so many dogs around here that arent owned and are loose.. Haven.. I really dont know if she would fight back. Shes labeled as a Pit Mix, she she might get the blame. Shes always on a leash, unless shes in my yard.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:25 PM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
See, this is the sort of incident I live in fear of. My dogs WOULD fight back. And no matter the circumstances, they would get the blame.

I carry a weapon when I walk my dogs. Either a large stick, or a riding crop. I just can't stand that people do not keep their dogs confined.

I feel exactly the same way. I feel id be safer killing the attacking dog myself then letting my dog do it. Because if he does it, he will get blamed, and If i do it, it will be considered self defense.

I hate double standards in dog world
Old 01-02-2006, 02:30 PM
no touchy

I hate when people are so irresponsible. I have been rushed a few times and was attacked once while walking and it really ticks me off. I know my dogs would definitely fight back. I'm glad poor OC is okay.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 01-02-2006, 02:31 PM
no touchy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers

That worries me a little...Tippy (dog in my signature) has, as you can see, lots of black and tan. In fact, she has been mistaken for a purebred German shepherd before...so many people think if it's big and black and tan, it's evil...if we were attacked, she would definitely defend us.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:01 PM
Show Dog

I was walking our rottie/pit mix one day this last summer. Our town is very small, only about 500 people in it. Well we have trouble with strays all over town anyway but they are really bad on my street. I was coming across the road after our walk and had my dog on a lead. Well I heard this awful barking and growling. Looked down the road and here they came at full run, it was a pack about 6 or 7 of em. I didn't know what to do. I was scared outta my wits. WEll Rufus jumped in front of me, Took a stance I had never seen him take and stared down the other dogs. He never barked, never growled just stared at them. I don't know if there is some unspoken language between other dogs but they turned tail and ran. I was so proud of him.All the neighbors were outside(the dogless ones) and they all spoke on how protective he looked at the time. Said that he looked as if to say "this is my mommy and you will regret coming down here to hurt her cause i am a force to be reckoned with. Well after a few good pats from a few of the neighbors we went and had some well deserved cuddle time and som treats. He now walks past everyone as if to say I know I'm special!! Well the strays haven't gotten alot better but the ones that tried to attack us that day are gone. Don't know what happened to them. Just disappeared.

TO LOVE AND BE LOVED IS LIFES GREATEST TREASURE
Old 01-02-2006, 03:04 PM
Show Dog

I thank God everyday that he never had to fightthat day, but I know he would!!!

TO LOVE AND BE LOVED IS LIFES GREATEST TREASURE
Old 01-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Top Dog

For a variety of reasons I carry more than a riding crop when I go out.
I am a gentle person but do not think attacks of that nature are warranted if one is out peacefully walking one's own leashed dog. I would feel personally threatened at an all out attack, not knowing whether the attacking dog would turn on me also as well as my pet; and certainly I would not stand by and let my pet get killed.
I am very sad that people do not take better care, and let their dogs run loose in a way that allows them to hurt other dogs or people, unless they are loose on a farm or some other working situation.
Old 01-02-2006, 03:35 PM
Snow Girl

What bugs me the most about this incident is that the street we were on is not a quiet street. It's not overly busy either but there's still cars that go by often and a high traffic of pedestrians walking their dogs especially in the morning and afternoon when parents are wlaking their children to school and take the family dog along for the walk. How many other dogs have these dogs rushed and how long before they run across that street while a car's coming?

Redyre, I am my own weapon LOL I can't punch/hit very well but I sure can kick and tackle/throw down!!!!

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"