Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-04-2013, 06:31 PM
<--------Orson

Default What things do you do to be more 'green'

I know plenty of chazzers are as green as they can manage, so I'm just curious what exactly you do to be green at YOUR house. List out as many things (big or small) you do.......you may inspire someone else who hadn't thought of that particular way yet!

1. I use reusable shopping bags.

2. I recycle EVERYTHING that I can possibly recycle each week.

3. We use actual lunch boxes and containers.

4. I make our laundry soap WITHOUT harsh detergents.

5. I use vinegar instead of fabric softener, window cleaners, and in place of MANY other cleaners around the house.

6. We keep the heat set at 68....too cold? Too bad...Get a sweater.

7. Shut down the computers each night.

8. I do try to keep lights off in rooms not being used...........sometimes in this house of teens it feels like a losing battle!

9. I can and freeze in season fruits/veggies reusing jars and containers.

There's probably more that I'm not thinking of ATM. The following are things I'm going to attempt this summer:

Composting, gray water reusage for the lawn/plants, and a rain barrel.

Please share yours!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Mutts to you

Not as much as you but we recycle as much as possible, use reusable grocery bags and if, for some reason, we wind up with the plastic bags, those are returned to be recycled on the next shopping trip.
Also use sandwich containers for lunch, turn off lights where possible (have one aged cat and her eyesight is dimming so now we have night lights in the hallway/bedrooms) and our thermostat is set at 60.
All of our shopping trips (grocery, hardware, feed stores) are planned for the route home from work so once we're home, we don't have to go again. If we do find we've forgotten something, well, it can wait until the next day.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 01-04-2013, 08:09 PM
Top Dog

When I lived on my own I:
recycled everything
never used paper plates or even paper towels or napkins, just cloth
made my own detergent, soap/shampoo, cleaning supplies
only used public transportation and walked anywhere within a 5 mile radius
use reusable containers for lunch

I guess that's it. I tried to eat local/organic, but it was hard to afford.

At my parent's house. Nothing. They hate saving the environment. And saving money. We use paper plates and paper cups for everything, napkins, paper towels, disposable EVERYTHING. Run tons of useless electronics all the time. Blast the heat or AC. Buy disgusting food in disgusting packages. They recycle some stuff, not everything though.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 01-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Top Dog

I do everything you do with a few exceptions:

-I just buy locally made all natural laundry detergent. Super cheap in the bulk section of my co-op so I just re-fill my container as needed.
-I don't turn on my heat or A/C unless I (or Chester) am dying, in which case I'll blast it for 30 seconds or so. So far the coldest it's gotten according to my horribly-not-accurate thermostat is about 62, and the warmest I think was 84 (in the summer, I just take clothes off, ha! The joys of living alone).
-Almost all of my food is local, and what isn't is typically bought in bulk with re-usable containers. I also make from scratch everything I can (I just made my first pasta!), especially yogurt, butter, and buttermilk.
-I almost completely refuse to buy new books. I'll either buy used (far preferable) or e-books (with the notable exceptions of cookbooks that I just absolutely cannot find used. I'll use my tablet for online recipes, but I hate having a whole cookbook on an e-reader).
-I try to do all my errands at once, or else I walk there.
-I use a fair-trade shea butter shampoo (all-natural as in it's just saponified shea butter, some essential oils, and a stabilizer that I'm not sure what it is so it's probably "natural" but whatever - it's at least more all-natural than most other hygiene all-natural products, and it makes my hair amazing).

I'm constantly looking for new things to cut back on.
Old 01-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Not much.. we walk or take public transport everywhere, and use eco friendly cleaners.

Can't cut down on AC... Ferrets.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 01-04-2013, 10:20 PM
Little dog, big voice

We use recyclable bags, my mom now uses some sort of vinegar cleaner to be more environmentally friendly, turn off lights/etc, use containers for just about everything.

My aunt is the master of natural living though. She finally had a baby in August (after years of wanting one), and because her husband has a rare heart condition.. they buy all organic food, plus Joaquin (my cousin) wears cloth diapers, my aunt made the bedding/etc herself, she doesn't use baby wipes (she uses some sort of grape seed oil or something similar), etc. I think I could go on for days. I think most of it stems from my uncle's health issues.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 01-04-2013, 10:29 PM
SBT Lover!!

I drive a Prius. Recycle. Use reusable shopping bags. Buy local when I can. Walk where I can. Donate to several environmental and conservation groups.
Old 01-04-2013, 11:11 PM
Top Dog

-Walk/ride my bike a lot of places
-Shop locally, both grocery items and otherwise
-Recycle
-Another thermostat set at 68
-Turn off lights, electronics, etc.
-We NEVER use paper plates or disposable cups or silverware
-We do the lunch box thing, too
Old 01-04-2013, 11:39 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

- we dont use a microwave.
- we try and hunt most of our meat as we can.
- re-use bags
- we only use organic body products like lotion, hair products. I would like to try and make my own products, but my scalp is very high maintance.
- my car is pretty fuel efficient, although our truck is not, but we hardly drive it.
- we don't currently, but this year we will be putting in a wood stove.
- we try and recycle pretty much everything we can.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 01-05-2013, 12:31 AM
Fishies!

I think the microwave actually comes out ahead of most other forms of cooking, energy wise.

I think I have the driving under 6k miles now.
House set to 60-65.