Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
"I want a good weight loss food."
"What do you feed now? How much do you feed a day?"
"I feed blah blah blah brand. I don't measure his food I just feed him however much he wants to eat."
"Okay, well if you want him to lose weight it'll go much quicker if you feed him a set amount each day."
"Oh I don't want to do that. I just want a weight loss food so he's eating fewer calories, but can still eat whenever he wants."

Logic at its finest.
This. So much this.

I once had a customer who wanted to switch her cats to wet food because of crystals/UTI problems. I was showing her the wet foods we carried,and she started calculating the cost out loud, and was saying she would be going through two 13oz cans a day, with TWO CATS. I explained that that was way too much food, and they definitely don't need that much food, and I suggested to start with 1/2 of a 5.5oz can per cat, per meal. She insisted that was cruel, and that they should be able to eat as much as they want, and that all my animals must be skinny and starved.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:05 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
Ooooooh, examples?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygirl View Post
Go on....
Oh, there isn't a specific incident I have in mind, and I probably wouldn't talk about them publicly like this even if there was (sorry). But just weird stuff that people believe because, you know, IT'S ON THE INTERNET. There's a lot of stuff like "But I read that my breed can't even GET heartworm! They're immune!"

Usually I just do a quick Google search for "Bigfoot is real" right there in the exam room to make my point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpringerLover View Post
My all-time favorite though is from a co-worker at my day job...

I was telling her that Buzz eats raw meat. And then I told her we sell multiple brands of it.

She's absolutely convinced that anyone buying raw meat/food is secretly hoarding tigers and lions...
LOL. Yes, because that 6# bag of NV is going to go a looooooong way towards feeding a hoard of tigers and lions. :/

Old 09-16-2012, 10:14 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Usually I just do a quick Google search for "Bigfoot is real" right there in the exam room to make my point.
He is. I saw a picture online. Look if you don't believe me.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
He is. I saw a picture online. Look if you don't believe me.
I hear he's dating Nessy. It's a long distance thing.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 09-16-2012, 10:38 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Omg... well let's see

-Clients wants dog aggressive dog "socialized" so sends it to daycare. Are you ****ing kidding me?

-Bring your dog for daycare for the first time in a long while, and when I call you 5 min later to tell you she tried repeatedly to attack the single, friendly dog she met, you respond, "Oh, yeah... she's been getting pretty dog aggressive." WTF ARE YOU THINKING???

-Regarding training classes: "So, do I have to like... come WITH her to the classes? I do? Eh, can't you just train the dog for me?" I am, frankly, not very nice to people who ask that.

-People who don't care when you tell them their dog is not a problem per say but extremely distressed in a daycare setting. They just don't care, they don't want the dog around.

-"Will you board my human aggressive Saint Bernard? He bit three people that last time we boarded him."

-People's inability to understand what "Bath only on short coated breed" means. OMG. We give quotes on our website based on size for BATHS ONLY ON SHORT COATED BREEDS. No clipping. No long coated breeds that require de-shedding. Do not jerk me around and tell me you read on our website that it was only $45 to get a Newfoundland groomed. Either you're very stupid or you think I am.

-Conversations that go like this upon checking in a dog for boarding:
Me: "Ok, when does he eat and how much?"
Them: "Oh, you know... just... *makes a weird hand motion*"
Me: "I'm sorry... uh... do you know how much you feed in dry cups?"
Them (annoyed): "No, no, it's just... *hand motion*... just a small bowl."
OK THEN, THANKS, THAT REALLY HELPS. Don't bitch if your dog loses or gains weight while it's here, moron.

Ooooorrr, regarding feeding instrucions:

"He's free fed."
"Ok, well then we'll offer food twice a day, possible three times if he doesn't eat in the morning."
"Well he's used to having it all day."
"Oh I know, but our dogs here only eat in their kennels so he won't be able to eat while he's out playing. Usually with free-fed dogs we just offer food several times a day."
"What do you mean? Are you telling me he won't have any food out unless he's kenneled?!"
"Well, we don't have food in the play areas as a rule, so yes, he can only eat while kenneled."
"But he needs to have food out all day..."
"I understand, but then he would be kenneled all day..."
"I DON'T WANT MY DOG KENNELED ALL DAY!!!! THAT'S AWFUL."

yeah, I give up.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:44 AM
such sights to show you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
"He's free fed."
"Ok, well then we'll offer food twice a day, possible three times if he doesn't eat in the morning."
"Oh I know, but our dogs here only eat in their kennels so he won't be able to eat while he's out playing. Usually with free-fed dogs we just offer food several times a day."
"What do you mean? Are you telling me he won't have any food out unless he's kenneled?!"
"Well, we don't have food in the play areas as a rule, so yes, he can only eat while kenneled."

yeah, I give up.
Oh god, I died. I've had similar circular conversations on different topics where people want two or three things that are mutually exclusive to be true and/or possible and someday I am going to snap and say one of two things:

1. Well, if I had THAT kind of power over time and space, I assure you I would not be working here and having this conversation with you. Since I don't, what are we going to do about this?

2. Well, what the f*ck do you want ME to do about it?

For now, I just say them in my head.

ETA: For example:

I get a phone call in my work list to call someone about vaccines for boarding, and it goes like this:

"I have to board tomorrow and I need Fluffy's vaccines updated today!"
"Ok, well, I'm sure we can schedule that for you?" (secretly wondering why this phone call even came to me instead of just getting scheduled)
"But you close at X and I can't get there until X+2 hours!"
"Ummmm...." (In my head, "Well what the f*ck do you want ME to do about it???!!!" although "I don't have that kind of power over time and space" might be more appropriate.)

/scene

Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Ooooorrr, regarding feeding instrucions:

"He's free fed."

yeah, I give up.
LOL or tell them that if he needs to eat then he needs to bring enough to share with ALL his friends...
Old 09-16-2012, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

I love the 'missing, important family member, sadly missed' ads where the people are not willing to drive to look, the pet has no ID of any kind and is matted or other form of neglect as a way to determine if it's their cat/dog or not (he's got mats all over his belly, did the dog you found have mats?).

Or even better the 'we saw a dog running loose across the street if someone's looking for their dog' posts on facebook. The number on the tag isn't working, but we just let the dog run around in traffic while we came in to post this.... Um, catch the dog first???

Had one dog come for boarding with a THREE page instruction list of how to give her her meds. Including a banana for this pill, then a liver treat for that pill, this powder mixed with water in a syringe and squirted in, then...... (and yes, we mixed them all into her raw food and she ate it just fine)

The whole 'feed them small meals or they'll grow big' thing really kills me too. Really, would it make sense to do that to your kid? Put them on an extreme diet and they'll just stay little and totally healthy? Really?

My boss's SIL has a toy poodle that was totally constipated, they figured out the reason - she NEVER walks anywhere, they have her in a purse all the time. They got told to start walking the dog and poop happened.

The best though was the gal who said 'I'm going to start a little dog boarding place, because little dogs have special needs, unlike big dogs' - she was offended that the place she called charged extra to sit and hold her doggiewoggie and she was going to start a place that didn't charge more for 'special needs' like that.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:21 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post

I get a phone call in my work list to call someone about vaccines for boarding, and it goes like this:

"I have to board tomorrow and I need Fluffy's vaccines updated today!"
"Ok, well, I'm sure we can schedule that for you?" (secretly wondering why this phone call even came to me instead of just getting scheduled)
"But you close at X and I can't get there until X+2 hours!"
"Ummmm...." (In my head, "Well what the f*ck do you want ME to do about it???!!!" although "I don't have that kind of power over time and space" might be more appropriate.)

/scene
OH MY GOD. This kind of thing happens all the time too. They want to board that night, they don't have the required vaccines and the dog hasn't been in for it's half-day evaluation. "But I'm going out of town tomorrow!!!"

DID YOU FORGET YOU HAD A DOG? DID THIS NOT OCCUR TO YOU??? WTF

LOL one lady said, "It says on your website all dogs must do a half day of daycare prior to boarding, for evaluation?" (We have daycare style boarding, not my fav but it is what it is, so that policy only makes sense.)

"Yep, that's correct!"

"Oh... So that policy is firm? It seems silly to me." (it's $15 btw )

"Ah, well, it is our policy. I'm sorry it seems silly to you, but I can assure you that after boarding some very difficult and potentially dangerous dogs, it's not silly to us."

(here comes her last ditch attempt to save a whopping $15) "Well, fine, I can just go somewhere where they don't require it!"

Me: "Yes you can! In fact, I'd urge you to do so. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

"*SIGH* No, that's all."

Nice try.

Old 09-16-2012, 12:33 PM
such sights to show you

Yea, we bend over backwards to accommodate people, but sometimes what they want is just not physically or temporally possible and they just can't seem to get out of some kind of mental feedback loop where it actually IS possible just because it's what they want.

And I hate emotional blackmail so much, like the "Well, I guess I'll just have to go somewhere else that doesn't require the evaluation!" except we get the "well I guess I'll just have to put him to sleep/find him another home/let him be sick!" from time to time. I'm actually very spoiled where I work and we don't get as much of that kind of thing as other practices, but it happens.