Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-01-2006, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julie
Nedim,
Look at your dogs foot where I have the arrow.
Is there a scar or a little bit of missing hair?

From your picture, although it is hard to tell how the dog is laying, I believe this is where the dewclaw should have been.
I think this picture is of the left front foot.....?
yep, theres a bit of hair missing, along with a bit of an indentation

Im starting to get the feeling that Peanut might have come from a byb
Old 01-01-2006, 08:54 PM
It wasn't me

Here's an intersting informative site on the double dewclaw, http://perso.wanadoo.fr/corine.lundqvist/polydogs.html
Old 01-01-2006, 09:00 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by nedim
yep, theres a bit of hair missing, along with a bit of an indentation

Im starting to get the feeling that Peanut might have come from a byb
what makes you think that? just because he has had his dew claws removed?
Old 01-01-2006, 09:01 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melissa_W
Skye is a sheltie, he has his dew claws, and he's never had a problem. Personally, I wouldn't have them removed. It seems kind of unnecessary.

We like I said for a pet then there is no prob usually, but its done to a working dog the prevent injury
Old 01-01-2006, 09:02 PM
Show Dog

Penny has them an all four paws... I have inspected them all and am not worried about the " regular" ones. The nails are pretty strong and don't seem loose at all, I think if we keep trimming them as we have been she should be fine. But on her back left paw she's got two nails growing... there's the regular one and then sticking out on the other side of the " thumb" is the extra one, it is much thinner than the others and very loose, so i think that when I get her spayed I will tell the vet that that's the ONLY one I want removed, I think the others will be fine. Thanks everyone for their advice!

Thanks to Keyodie!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
what makes you think that? just because he has had his dew claws removed?
Not necessarily. A good breeder would breed for temperment (along with a bunch of other stuff) and Peanut has a bad temper. She just doesnt seem to be a well rounded dog when it comes to breeding. I dont know her past or where she came from, but for some reason I get the feeling she came from a "less than" breeder.
Old 01-01-2006, 09:04 PM
Top Dog

yes that sounds the best thing to do, just make sure your vet is clear about just the one is to be removed!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:09 PM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxer*Mom
Here's an intersting informative site on the double dewclaw, http://perso.wanadoo.fr/corine.lundqvist/polydogs.html
thanks for that website! that was informative It makes me think tho that Penny's is not really a double dewclaw but more just an accidental extra nail that she's got... it doesn't seem to be a seperate toe or anything more just an extra nail growing out of the one toe... I'm gonna ask my vet more about it next time I take her in. Thanks!

Thanks to Keyodie!
Old 01-01-2006, 09:23 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
We like I said for a pet then there is no prob usually, but its done to a working dog the prevent injury
In my opinion, it is best to leave them even in a working dog. Unless of course they are loose or dangly. Then I would have them removed.

My Charlie has his intact, but his are strong and close to his leg, no problems at all, Shiloh has hers removed and has big scars on each front leg. I would much rather keep them, I have found in working dogs most injury occurs to the pads they walk on. Both Charlie and Shiloh have had injuries to this part of their foot. Charlie had a bad cut into the pad, and Shiloh had one of the tops of her pads sliced off. Both healed with no lasting effects.

And none of those injuries would have happened if people didn't throw trash into our rivers. Both were cut on broken glass.

I guess it is all a personal decision, and I would definately remove back dewclaws, especially doubles, or dangly ones. The back dewclaws seem to cause more problems. IMO only.
Old 01-02-2006, 12:54 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Dewclaws

My Maltipoo still has hers and when I took her to the vet for her shots I asked the vet about getting them removed when she gets spayed, but he didnt recommend it, he said they acually have to remove part bone and it is quite painful for the dog, its different when they are just a few days old and they are removed but when they are grown he didnt recommend it