Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Puppy Forum

Old 10-12-2012, 04:56 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Default Limiting puppy's exercise.

How do you manage this?

Fred is in a crate when we are out (he's not left more than 4 hrs at a time usually), and out when we are home.

He's not going on walks (he's had maybe 3 outings). He gets to play around our property, but usually just to toilet. Sometimes he potters round while the other half works in the day. We've put a barrier up to stop him climbing the stairs.

Yet, last night the show club man commented on how he's muscling up already. Is that bad? Is he getting too much free time?? He'd go stir crazy if he was cooped up all day and night.

How exactly do you monitor the 5 mins per month rule? It seems unrealistic.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 10-12-2012, 06:02 AM
Just try me..

I have never limited a puppies activity level. I don't force them for sure, but they get to romp around and chase other dogs through the fields, jump, pounce and be puppies...
Old 10-12-2012, 06:41 AM
Sit! Good dog.

What about their joints? Is there any weight to the arthritis stuff? Fred's not a small dog, I don't want him to damage himself.

Bodhi got as much exercise as she wanted at all ages.... She's 7 and no joint issues at all...
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Old 10-12-2012, 07:01 AM
Just try me..

He's not really a large breed either. If he was a newf, or some other heavy giant breed... then maybe. He isn't going to be larger or heavier than the canine body was intended to be. (issues often show up when breeds physically deviate greatly from the 'wolf' phenotype) So normal activity shouldn't cause any problems in a healthy dog, any more than kids running around and playing is going to be bad for them as adults.

But as long as you aren't forcing him he should be fine. Romping and playing is what puppies do. You want him to build strong bones and ligaments. The only way to do that is to let him exercise and healthily stress his body.
Old 10-12-2012, 07:06 AM
Sit! Good dog.

We'll carry on as we are then

Old 10-12-2012, 07:58 AM
Love my pets

I've never heard of a 5 minutes per month rule. I would say let Fred play and enjoy himself. I wouldn't over do the running by making him run constantly after balls, etc. but play is good for him. I've had some dogs that got muscular without hardly any exercise.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:11 AM
Behavior Nerd

In general I've only heard people discuss limiting *forced* or on lead exercise for growing pups and minimizing jumping down onto hard surfaces. Off lead, puppy led exercise is fine and encouraged.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Top Dog

Free exercise is more than ok! When a puppy is allowed to free-choice exercise, they can also choose to stop and rest if needed, protecting their joints from overuse. If they are forced to exercise via bike rides, runs, long walks, fetch, etc. that's when their joints are at risk because they can't stop if they feel the need.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:22 AM
such sights to show you

I'm with SaraB an stardogs... I think the 5 min/month rule is malarky, myself, when it comes to free play rather than forced exercise. That is, IMO puppies can run around out in the yard all they want but I'm not going to walk them for long periods of time.

When they are engaged in free play they are working a lot of different muscle groups, moving this way and that way, jumping, turning, stopping to sniff, resting... it's not the same repetitive motions, so no particular muscle or joint is getting overly taxed. Healthy joints NEED strong healthy muscles to develop properly, resting puppies too much is actually counterproductive IMO.

Old 10-12-2012, 08:25 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
When they are engaged in free play they are working a lot of different muscle groups, moving this way and that way, jumping, turning, stopping to sniff, resting... it's not the same repetitive motions, so no particular muscle or joint is getting overly taxed. Healthy joints NEED strong healthy muscles to develop properly, resting puppies too much is actually counterproductive IMO.
Forgot this.

Also, now is the time they are learning body coordination. If you keep a puppy from jumping/leaping now when they are growing, how can you expect them to safely complete those actions when they are older?