Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 01-01-2006, 01:41 AM
Active Pup

Default German Shephard in my face! HELP

My husband and I have a German Shephard named Quinn. He is actually 95% German and about 5% Australian but he looks ALL German Shephard. He is just a year old and we have had him since he was weaned. The problem we have is he wants to be in our faces constantly. If I sit down to tie my shoes he will come over and put his nose less then 1/2 an inch away. Sometimes he will lick, sometimes not but no amount of pushing, shoving, yelling...will get him to back off. If I push him back he crawls right back over, if I tell him to lay down he will and then get right back up and get back in my face. He does this constantly, if we are at his level he is right there. We know he is probably just looking for affection...we've tried snuggling with him when he does this and then asking his to back off but he won't learn. Otherwise he is pretty well behaved. We know he is young still and We hate the idea of yelling at him for being affectionate but it is incredibly annoying. I don't enjoy tieing my shoes at 5am with a dog in my face! Any suggestions?
Old 01-01-2006, 07:07 AM
and Spy.

Maybe you could try perfecting a down stay...? Or, I taught my dog to 'back off'. When he was running around or being annoying, I would just say in a firm, no joke tone of voice (not harsh or mean though) 'back off'. That works well...
~Emily
Old 01-01-2006, 09:46 AM

actually, I had to smile a bit cause my GSD loves to be 'in my face' also. all I have to do is bend, and he is there. only I've never thought of it as a problem, usually I find it amusing that he has to get so close. you could keep working on the 'stay back', or maybe just put your shoes on in another room. I don't know, but if that is his only flaw...seems pretty minor.
Old 01-01-2006, 11:28 AM
RedyreRottweilers

Touching a dog to get them to move away does not work. They will just push against the pressure.

Your dog does not view you as his leader or he would not be invading your personal space in this way and not responding.

I would recommend a couple of things:

Go take an obedience class. Better yet, take several in succession. Your dog will get to exercise his brain, you will build a bond of love and respect with him, and it will absolutely improve your entire relationship with the dog.

Get the dog neutered if he is not. Any dog not to be used for breeding should be altered. He will be happier and likely live longer.

Read this article, and put it to work for you and your dog.

http://www.sonic.net/~cdlcruz/GPCC/library/alpha.htm

Dogs do not and cannot live in a democratic society. There is always a leader and a hierarchy. If you are not presenting him with a leadership figure, the dog will take charge.

Good luck, and let us know how things turn out.
Old 01-01-2006, 04:44 PM
Puppy Dog

i was going to comment on this post because i have the same problem.my dog is trained ,down ,stay .sit .come heel all the basic..if im standing that is.If im sitting or laying down i have this problem as mentioned `i often have to lay with one foot on the floor so he knows i can get up fast,its a real pain. so i know how they feel,training collar does work but it kinda ruins relaxing time with all the yelling and corrections,my trainer suggested shock collar but im not so sure bout that, hes still young
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
Touching a dog to get them to move away does not work. They will just push against the pressure.

Your dog does not view you as his leader or he would not be invading your personal space in this way and not responding.

Go take an obedience class. Better yet, take several in succession. Your dog will get to exercise his brain, you will build a bond of love and respect with him, and it will absolutely improve your entire relationship with the dog.

Get the dog neutered if he is not. Any dog not to be used for breeding should be altered. He will be happier and likely live longer.

Dogs do not and cannot live in a democratic society. There is always a leader and a hierarchy. If you are not presenting him with a leadership figure, the dog will take charge.

Old 01-01-2006, 05:35 PM
But please, call me Barb

Smile

Quote:
not but no amount of pushing, shoving, yelling...will get him to back off
Sometimes for a dog any attention is better than no attention!
When I put on my shoes Dante knows that something is up. His thing is to race around the coffee table
Luckily we're worked very long and hard at the down/wait command and so he now lays at my feet and talks the whole time I'm putting my shoes on!!

RedyreRottweilers has geat tips and points and so I won't add anymore, just know that it can be fixed!!

Barb
Old 01-01-2006, 10:07 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers

I'm not sure this is the problem....he does it to both myself and my husband. He is submissive, respectful and obedient (most of the time......he still has a lot of puppy energy in him) otherwise. He is NEVER aggressive towards us although we have to watch him around other animals. I do make him sit before allowing him out or dinner etc. I read the article and it says "Alpha dogs are used to being fussed over. In a real dog pack, subordinate dogs are forever touching, licking and grooming the alpha dog. It's a show of respect and submission. For now, until his attitude has shown improvement, cut down on the amount of cuddling your dog gets. When he wants attention, make him SIT first, give him a few kind words and pats, then stop. Go back to whatever it was you were doing and ignore him. If he pesters you, tell him NO! in a firm voice and ignore him some more. Pet him when you want to, not just because he wants you to. Also, for the time being, don't get down on the floor or on your knees to pet your dog. That, too, is a show of submission. Give praise, petting and rewards from a position that's higher than the dog."

That part about petting him from a higher level I'll try...and we'll work on the sit stay thing.

We do however let him sleep in our bedroom...never on the bed though. And Debi....you're right...if that is the only problem we are lucky....It certainly won't cause us to get rid of him.
He DOES need to be nuetered....hopefully this will help. We have no intention of ever breeding him and we had planned on nuetering him earlier but we've moved, gotten married, holidays......you know how it goes.
Thanks for the input everyone.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:32 AM

I think he just loves you, and is curious. you should be here...Ham is interested in EVERYTHING I do...with his big head right there while I'm folding laundry, etc. lol they are such loving, curious dogs....you bend down, he's wanting to be up close and personal..probably wants a smooch. sounds like a sweetie. (and yes, I have times when it's not always appreciated either!)
Old 01-02-2006, 09:34 AM
Top Dog

How is neutering him going to help? This is a training issue, not a hormone issue. Your dog is not full grown yet. Most people recommend you don't fix a GSD till they are full grown but it's your choice.

I think most GSDs are like yours. Mine is, I sit down to put on my shoes and he's right there investigating and giving out some love. I don't mind it and it's easy to put him in a down/stay to do what I need.
Old 01-02-2006, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanL
How is neutering him going to help? This is a training issue, not a hormone issue. Your dog is not full grown yet. Most people recommend you don't fix a GSD till they are full grown but it's your choice.

I think most GSDs are like yours. Mine is, I sit down to put on my shoes and he's right there investigating and giving out some love. I don't mind it and it's easy to put him in a down/stay to do what I need.

actually, Dan, I was thinking the exact same thing...this has absolutely nothing to do with neutering.