Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Training Forum

Old 07-18-2006, 06:18 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Angry Stop THAT!!!!

Ok, for the most part, Buddy is a well behaved pupppy. He's had his moments but the most aggrivating thing he's done was his counter surfing, until now...

Now, all of a sudden, he's chewing on electrical cords!! And yes, he's still alive. We just don't get it... he has raw bones, he has hard bones, he has toys, he has hard rubber toys, we know he likes to chew so we provide plenty of toys, etc..

This is a new development... I found an extension cord split in two late last week and last night hubby found another one with teeth marks in it.

The only time I think he may be doing this is when we sleep or when I leave for work at 540a and hubby doesn't get up for another 2-3 hours....

What do we do? He can seriously hurt himself! We've hidden all the cords that we can but for those, like the fans, we can't hide those and this place melts in the gosh darned heat!

Help?

Old 07-18-2006, 06:23 PM
Top Dog

Oh noooooo
Can you not spray them with something that may distract Buddy?

Thanks BP
Old 07-18-2006, 06:26 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Spray an electrical cord? Woudl that work or would we fry ourselves, lol...

I'd try Bitter Apple if the booger didn't like the stuff...
Old 07-18-2006, 06:32 PM
Puppy Dog

You could crate him, or confine him to a room without exposed electrical cords, or spray the cords with Bitter Apple or something equally undesirable.

Other than that, you could try exercising him more before bedtime, so he goes into that delightful "dead to the world" sleep. A good, hard play/train session before you leave in the morning might help, too, so he's too tired (both physically and mentally) to cause trouble before your husband gets up.

Could you set him up? Leave him "alone" in a room with a cord to chew (you'd be out of sight to him), and then if he goes for it, pop into the room, say "Leave it!" or "Off!" or whatever your word is, and redirect him onto something more appropriate.

ETA: Ah, so he likes Bitter Apple? What about rubbing a jalapeno on the wires? A friend of mine did that to a spot on the wall that her dog was chewing (he loooved the taste of Bitter Apple), and the dog took one lick and never touched the wall again. It seemed extreme to me at the time, but she wasn't having success with anything else, and she only had to do it once.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:39 PM
Ninja Dog

You can wrap the electrical cable in flexible safety cable.

It's safe to spray the cables with lemon juice, citronella, menthol-type substances, etc. There's a lot of different aversive sprays. If he likes bitter apple, there's always something else that he'll find unpleasant lol.
Old 07-18-2006, 06:58 PM
overdogged

i'd crate him.

also, if he has access to all of his toys all the time, i'd pick them up and give him only one or two at a time, rotating them. toys get boring.
and Bean FDCh-S
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 07-18-2006, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastkid
You could crate him, or confine him to a room without exposed electrical cords, or spray the cords with Bitter Apple or something equally undesirable.

Other than that, you could try exercising him more before bedtime, so he goes into that delightful "dead to the world" sleep. A good, hard play/train session before you leave in the morning might help, too, so he's too tired (both physically and mentally) to cause trouble before your husband gets up.

Could you set him up? Leave him "alone" in a room with a cord to chew (you'd be out of sight to him), and then if he goes for it, pop into the room, say "Leave it!" or "Off!" or whatever your word is, and redirect him onto something more appropriate.

ETA: Ah, so he likes Bitter Apple? What about rubbing a jalapeno on the wires? A friend of mine did that to a spot on the wall that her dog was chewing (he loooved the taste of Bitter Apple), and the dog took one lick and never touched the wall again. It seemed extreme to me at the time, but she wasn't having success with anything else, and she only had to do it once.
The most common reason for a dog not being repelled by bitter apple is that the first exposure wasn't enough of a deterrent. Because a dogs sense of smell is so extreme but their taste buds are so comparably few(1700ish to our 8000ish), you have to pair the smell of the product with enough of an initial taste exposure for the message to stick. What I recommend is that when bitter apple is going to be used to deter a dog, you first let him smell it. Take the cap off and really let him have a good whiff.....then give him a taste, either a light spray into the mouth or using a saturated q-tip making sure that he gets the smell/taste association. The sour and bitter sensitivity for a dog is at the sides and back of the tongue so if the first exposure wasn't enough for the smell to stop him, he will probably do most of the damage before the taste (which is now disipated) can reach his "bitter sensitive" spots of his tongue.
I'd use all of the other methods along with this one to ensure success.

I LOVE my new siggy Baxter'smybaby, THANK YOU SO MUCH....you're the BEST!!!!!!!

http://www.diamondintheruffcalgary.com/
Old 07-18-2006, 07:14 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

We do rotate his toys and I guess we'll go back to crating him again, I'd hate to do that... it's so hot... <sigh> bad dog!
Old 07-18-2006, 09:18 PM
ME+DOGS=CRAZY

sam use to do that, she even chewed my video game cord and I haven't played it since...
where doing nothing was not boring--it was peace."
~Milan Kundera
Old 07-18-2006, 10:33 PM
Top Dog

Even if you need to crate him to keep him away from the cords, please do it so that you don't have to go through the heartache and guilt I experienced many, many years ago losing a well loved furpal to a TV cord.