Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-13-2012, 07:41 AM
Top Dog

Default Woman TMI question

Ok hopefully that will keep the guys out.

I need some advice on how to avoid cramps and heavy periods. It's just really bad. Sometimes one month it's not bad at all and the next one is a horrible nightmare (like, leaking through 2 maxi overnight pads put front to back in 3 hours at night - I use always infinity too...).

I've been having horrible cramps for 1.5 hours too and tylenol isn't working (I have surgery next week so can't take ibuprofen, and it sucks). But even when I take ibuprofen, I need to take 3 for it to work, and sometimes I have to alternate with tylenol... I had a prescription for pain killers instead but they make me so dizzy I stopped using them pretty much right away.

I can't take the bc, I tried the tiniest dose and my hormones got nuts and my cholesterol spiked. Oh and since I did IVF I've had horrible cramps for 2 days when I ovulate too.

It sucks. Any advice would be great.

I have to add, it's been like this forever pretty much, and I had everything checked 5 years ago for IVF and they didn't find anything wrong.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 AM
Top Dog

Depending on where you are in life...

If you have a baby, sometimes it'll help afterwards. Sometimes.

When you can take ibuprofen, start taking regular doses 4-5 days before your period, so the meds are built up in your system before you need it, and keep taking it throughout.

Diet can make a difference, too much soy or chemicals or not enough....

Exercise is supposed to help too, and stress plays a part.

There is a treatment I read about, where they scar everything in there so nothing bleeds but you're still 'intact' but you can't have kids after.

I used to live on the couch with a heating pad so can relate!
Old 09-13-2012, 07:51 AM
Are you dead yet?

Honestly I don't know what to suggest since you can't do any form of contraceptive. I have pcos and my periods are absolutely unbearable (as in I alternate staying in bed for agonizing cramps or agonizing migraines/nausea)for 2 weeks out of the month without birth control. Some things that helped my cramps were pooping (tmi but... pooping.) and hot baths. Not at the same time, mind you.

I have no idea on flow. I do know that when I used to take aspirin it would increase my flow a lot, but I don't think ibuprofen has the same effect.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:54 AM
such sights to show you

Prescription strength ibuprofen is something like 800-1000 mg, just FYI, so you may be able to take a bit more depending on how big you are. I take 4 or 5 at a time routinely. Just FYI from a pain angle.

Look into natural progesterone cream. There's a pair of doctors whose names escape me who wrote a couple of books years ago about pre-menopause and menopause and using natural progesterone cream to help with a variety of symptoms associated with them (and just woman specific problems in general).

You have to take anything they say with a grain of salt, because they have sort of drunk the Kool-Aid about it if you catch my meaning. But having said that, I did use it for some problems with painful ovulations and ovarian pain that I was never able to get a real explanation for through typical medical channels and it worked great, I was really happy with it. He's got just a basic regimen that he recommends that is something like... you use it starting the day or day after you ovulate (known or guesstimated) until you get your period and then stop it until your next ovulation. It's available at health food stores, I used one called Natural Woman () that I got at GNC.

ETA: Oh and the usual eat well, exercise regularly, and get enough sleep. Which seems to be a cure for whatever ails anyone, but legitimately IMO.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:08 AM
Top Dog

How many pills did you try? I never heard of the cholesterol side effect so maybe one may raise it and one may not(then again I try to ignore them to not be all paranoid). Really short of the hormones your going to suffer through and I know that pain cuz I used to be right there with you. I would miss some and have some horrible ones. No rhyme or reason to my body lol!

Have you tried one of the moon/diva cups? I've heard people with heavier or gushing flows like them better. I've always meant to but going back on the bc when I got my own insurance ( 3$ vs my moms insurances 150$ or so) I never had to try.

Exercise does help. I've had to move hay on some of those curl up in bed days and it did help a ton. But if that's a day your gonna bleed through after ten minutes and your readjusting a pad it's not gonna work.

They have all kinds of pills with less or more of certain hormones. If its been a while talk with you dr cuz it's no way to live.

Edit- the google says you need a Lower estrogen pill to ensure the cholestrol does not raise. Try a few. Hopefully it's been a while and your dr will have a couple for you to choose from.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 09-13-2012, 08:19 AM
Top Dog

GOOD LUCK! I am the same exact way, maybe even worse. I have Endometriosis tho. You may want to get checked for that.

But other then bc, I know no ways of slowing it down or making it any lighter, and if you find a way please let me know!

I go thru a super tampon and overnight maxi every hour for 3 days. Then I can switch to regular size, but still change every hour for 2 days, then suddenly a light for about a day... sucks. I am 41 and praying for menopause!

Old 09-13-2012, 08:40 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

You may need a different hormone too. I am on depo provera which is just progesterone (or a synthetic progesterone.) Estrogen based birth control did not help me but progesterone based birth control did.

Max dose for Ibuprofen is actually 3200mg per day, so technically you can take four of the regular stuff four times a day. Aleve was actually the only drug I ever found to help my cramps and I HAD to take it really early... or else it was just too late. And the vomiting would start. I still remember one time I woke up at 5am, rolled out of bed, and went straight to the bathroom to throw up, so sometimes there was no catching them early and stopping it. ugh.
I agree about checking about endometriosis, though sometimes it is hard to diagnose unless they actually go in and find endometrial tissues. My doctor has been treating me as though I have endometriosis for about a decade now though, based on all my symptoms.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

I'm sure I have endometriosis but they didn't find anything when I did all those tests for IVF... so who knows. I was supposed to have an ultrasound last year but my kids emptied my purse and lost the prescription so I never got it done (and they charge $10 if you lose one).

I guess I could try the pill again... I tried 3 but it was 15 years ago so I'm guessing things have probably changed a bit since. I'm a bit nervous about progesterone ones though, when I went through IVF and I had progesterone pills they just knocked me out 20 minutes later.

I don't think I could take hot baths... just taking a shower grosses me out and I lose so many clots that I have to clean the drain after (totally TMI sorry). I know that diet and exercise are supposed to help, but the two times I was actually pretty healthy in my life, it was still awful. My twin sister is thinner than me and eats better overall and has the same problems too.

Oh I tried the diva cup. Was really expecting a lot from it. But I can't place it right. Not sure why. I had to wear one once when I went to the pool, and I just scratched myself raw trying to put it right, and it still wasn't.

I guess I need to take an appointment with my GYN again, lol. Thanks for all the replies.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:56 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Have you tried red raspberry leaf? You can take it in pill form or as a tea, and it has a really long history of relieving cramps and PMS symptoms. It works for me! And it's freaking harmless otherwise so why not. Research and see if it sounds like something you might be interested in.

Old 09-13-2012, 08:59 AM
Top Dog

Thanks Emily... that's cheap too. I just ordered some on amazon.