Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground


Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #31  
Old 01-03-2006, 05:54 PM
showpug's Avatar
showpug showpug is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
I guess if you want to co own the dog for life you could!
I will co-own all my pups just for these reasons. Co-ownership does not usually interfere with the pup's new adoptive family, it just helps ensure that you still have a say in the welfare of the pups beyond contract alone. Your name stays on their papers and in this case, on their microchip. Something all responsible breeders should do. I have known of a few breeders who have gotten their pups back years later because of a microchip being scanned when one of their pups was dumped in a shelter.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 01-03-2006, 06:25 PM
yuckaduck
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
I will co-own all my pups just for these reasons. Co-ownership does not usually interfere with the pup's new adoptive family, it just helps ensure that you still have a say in the welfare of the pups beyond contract alone. Your name stays on their papers and in this case, on their microchip. Something all responsible breeders should do. I have known of a few breeders who have gotten their pups back years later because of a microchip being scanned when one of their pups was dumped in a shelter.
Sounds good to me, like I said if you want to co owner the pups for their life and I see no reason not too. As long as the dog is cared for and looked after then no need to interferr. It allows abit more protection to those of us who want to make darn sure the dogs are where they are suppose to be and being cared for.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 01-03-2006, 08:23 PM
Gallien Jacks Gallien Jacks is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,586
Default

thansk show Pug it does make sence, this is what i will be doing in the future, i have had my others microchipped but because the vet fills in all the details I didnt really think about it, blond moment I know lol, so I guess if anyone had a problem with the dog still being in my name then they can bog off and they will not be allowed one of my pups, but what do you think about me contacting the owners of the already sold pups and offering to pay for microchipping? the onle thing that i think is unfare here is breeders cant chip your own dogs, and with a dog like a Jack you dont get a lot for them they sell for ***163;100- ***163;150 here, and microchipping here is ***163;25 per dog, i think that if you are having a lot of dogs chipped at the same time then you should get some off,
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 01-04-2006, 06:06 AM
taratippy taratippy is offline
Show Dog
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 232
Default

***163;25 seems rather expensive, I would shop around if I was you.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 01-04-2006, 06:52 AM
RedyreRottweilers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

One thing to consider is liability when co-owning certain breeds. In my breed, prosecutors have attempted to assign liability to Co-owners, and even BREEDERS who were NOT co-owners when an incident involving injury or death has occurred.

Just one more thing to consider re: co-ownership. It's certainly a double edged sword in certain circumstances.

I think the best options are to screen puppy buyers VERY carefully, make SURE you have an excellent and legal contract, place on limited registration and require spay/neuter of all animals not intended for Breed competition, and keep in touch with owners on a regular basis.

I co-own anything that is to be left intact for show purposes until the dog is titled and health tested, but after that I do sign off.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 01-04-2006, 11:53 AM
showpug's Avatar
showpug showpug is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
One thing to consider is liability when co-owning certain breeds. In my breed, prosecutors have attempted to assign liability to Co-owners, and even BREEDERS who were NOT co-owners when an incident involving injury or death has occurred.

Just one more thing to consider re: co-ownership. It's certainly a double edged sword in certain circumstances.

I think the best options are to screen puppy buyers VERY carefully, make SURE you have an excellent and legal contract, place on limited registration and require spay/neuter of all animals not intended for Breed competition, and keep in touch with owners on a regular basis.

I co-own anything that is to be left intact for show purposes until the dog is titled and health tested, but after that I do sign off.
In this case, wouldn't it be possible to write into the legal contract that you are not to be held liable in any way for any accidents/injuries/deaths that should happen while the dog is in the care of it's placement home?

I have never heard of what you are describing, but I deal with pugs LOL! I don't doubt what you say is true though! Sad world we live in!
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 01-04-2006, 11:56 AM
RedyreRottweilers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Yes it is, and altho my contract is VERY specific about my responsibilities and liabilities ending with the signing of the contract, it can be a dicey situation when you are an actual co-owner on a dog that is involved in a bite incident.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 01-04-2006, 01:13 PM
showpug's Avatar
showpug showpug is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Oregon
Posts: 5,218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedyreRottweilers
Yes it is, and altho my contract is VERY specific about my responsibilities and liabilities ending with the signing of the contract, it can be a dicey situation when you are an actual co-owner on a dog that is involved in a bite incident.
I can only imagine.... Doesn't sound like fun at all and I know how good lawyers are at twisting things around. Guess it all comes back to really knowing who you are selling a pup to. I have a friendship and ongoing relationship with the breeder of my last pup, and that is what I hope to have with anyone who gets one of my pups down the road.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 01-04-2006, 01:17 PM
RedyreRottweilers
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Very true, SP, but it's been proven that accidents, terrible accidents, can happen even to very responsible owners.

We hope these things do not ever happen, we screen, and we educate our puppy buyers as best we can, and plan to become longtime friends with each of them. Sometimes unforeseen situations can crop up, although thankfully, bite incidents with Rotties are on the decline because of the recent precipitous (thank you *od) drop in Rottweiler registrations.

At one point in the mid 90s there were over 10,000 (yes, ten THOUSAND) Rottweiler puppies being registered every MONTH with the AKC. When you have these sorts of STAGGERING numbers being produced, you are statistically going to see every option that genetic profile can offer you, good and bad.

We hope numbers keep falling, I would love to see us out of the top 20 in the next 5 years.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 01-04-2006, 04:11 PM
Gallien Jacks Gallien Jacks is offline
Top Dog
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 1,586
Default

yes I understand where you are comming from, its a hard thing to decide, all my pups go with a spay and neuter contract, because here spayed dogs can still be shown which I think is great, so only the girls I am keeping will stay un altered untill i decide wether I am going to breed from them
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.


1997-2013 Chazhound Dog Site