Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Breeding Ground

Old 01-02-2006, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

lol yes boss lmao, I know I worry too much hehe, I just wanted to be able to know that my pups are always with the correct people
Old 01-02-2006, 07:02 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallien Jacks
lol yes boss lmao, I know I worry too much hehe, I just wanted to be able to know that my pups are always with the correct people
I know that is a concern for me too, but I really think it might be out of reach. Contracts might help but even still the cost to get dogs returned if people chose not to can be enormous.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:07 PM
GSDGurl

She is not allowed to get stolen.I am paying too much for that to happen.I dont leave my dogs unattended outside for this reason.If someone is stupid enough to try and break into the house to get her,they will be met by Sasha the watchdog.Sasha is microchipped.I do like both in combination though.
Old 01-02-2006, 07:09 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by German Sheperd Gurl
She is not allowed to get stolen.I am paying too much for that to happen.I dont leave my dogs unattended outside for this reason.If someone is stupid enough to try and break into the house to get her,they will be met by Sasha the watchdog.Sasha is microchipped.I do like both in combination though.
Yeah it is good.

I kinda find it funny when people come to the door, espically at night. Hope is first to greet them and Yukon is at the beginning of the hall waiting. If they get past Hope, Yucky is alot more determined then her to protect his family if need be but he is not agressive about it.

Yukon stays with me all the time now, and Hope will go to the kids. Yukon protects me and Hope the kids. No one goes near the kids unless I tell Hope to go and lay down, then she will go and watch what is going on.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:00 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
I know that is a concern for me too, but I really think it might be out of reach. Contracts might help but even still the cost to get dogs returned if people chose not to can be enormous.
Sorry but I disagree with what your saying here, IMO as a breeder you are responsible for that dog for life regardless of the cost and if breeders are not prepared to do whatever it takes to get the dog back they shouldnt really breed.
Old 01-03-2006, 11:40 AM
Top Dog

When you or your vet microchips a dog, they have to fill out a registration form and send it in to the chip company. This form has the owners information and phone # on it etc. and it registers that specific chip # to the specific dog it was given to. If you take a litter of puppies in when they are still owned by you, you have the option of having your information put on each and every one of them. The only way this can change is by your release and signature and an information change fee. This means, if you leave the pup registered under your name, YOU are the one that is contacted if the pup ever gets lost or ends up in the shelter. This way the microchip is a benefit to you and a way for you to protect your pups, not just a benefit to the new owner. Does that make sense?
Old 01-03-2006, 02:35 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by taratippy
Sorry but I disagree with what your saying here, IMO as a breeder you are responsible for that dog for life regardless of the cost and if breeders are not prepared to do whatever it takes to get the dog back they shouldnt really breed.
I agree with what you are saying but the law and privacy issues are that information on a microchipped dog can only be shared with the registered owner. That is the law not my choice. Personally I think in the perfect world all unwanted dogs or puppies would be returned to the original breeder and therefore rescues and shelters would no longer be needed. If I sell a dog, I cannot track it down later and find out where it is, it is a privacy issue whether I like or not that is the way it is. Has nothing to do with the breeder being responsible or not.

So a signed contract indicting that the pup is to be returned should be the only solution, then it is up to the breeder if they wish to pursue the owner if it rehomes a dog without the knowledge of the breeder. I had this happen with a rescue dog and I did get the dog back eventually but it was along fought battle.
Old 01-03-2006, 02:36 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
When you or your vet microchips a dog, they have to fill out a registration form and send it in to the chip company. This form has the owners information and phone # on it etc. and it registers that specific chip # to the specific dog it was given to. If you take a litter of puppies in when they are still owned by you, you have the option of having your information put on each and every one of them. The only way this can change is by your release and signature and an information change fee. This means, if you leave the pup registered under your name, YOU are the one that is contacted if the pup ever gets lost or ends up in the shelter. This way the microchip is a benefit to you and a way for you to protect your pups, not just a benefit to the new owner. Does that make sense?
Makes sense but here in Canada the owner of the dog must have the microchip in their name and there is no fee to transferr it. So as a breeder unless you keep the dog forever you would lose that information when the dog was sold.
Old 01-03-2006, 03:39 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
Makes sense but here in Canada the owner of the dog must have the microchip in their name and there is no fee to transferr it. So as a breeder unless you keep the dog forever you would lose that information when the dog was sold.
How would they know the dog was sold? Couldn't you write up a contract in which you were co-owner on all your puppies for life and therefor could remain as the owner on the chip?
Old 01-03-2006, 04:54 PM
yuckaduck

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug
How would they know the dog was sold? Couldn't you write up a contract in which you were co-owner on all your puppies for life and therefor could remain as the owner on the chip?
I guess if you want to co own the dog for life you could!