Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-12-2012, 09:30 PM
Blackout

Default Actual book or e-book? MP3 or CD?

What does everyone prefer?

It seemed like only not long ago that CD's seemed like miracles and sales were off the scales. Before those I still remember 8 tracks and vinyls growing up - "All I have to do is dream", "Yellow River", and "All I ever need is you" among other favorites sounded infinitely better on those mediums and still do as opposed to on a computer or iPod/phone/gadget. Now of course, everything is downloaded - either paid for or illegally. Lossless audio files are pretty good and I admit I do most of my listening while on the go now or thru my iPod speaker; But I will play the occasional CD and just enjoy experiencing music that way.

As far as books go...I like being able to travel or go places with just my phone or tablet without having to lug a big load of books with me. But I like actual books too - the weight of them, turning the pages, holding them, taking them into the tub/on the beach/in bed with a reading lamp.

My friends call me really old fashioned for still buying books and keeping CD's at hand - they've mostly done away with all that. EVERYTHING they have by the way of media, entertainment, and communication is pretty much contained in their devices. I still like phoning too LOL - most people my age or younger (at least the ones I'm around/I see) communicate almost solely thru text messages or instant messengers on their phones and only use the phone part of their, well, phone - to speak to their parents or something.

So both e and "olde tyme" versions of things are equally important to me.
All except when we happen to meet.

Stories, Poetry, and Musings
http://inugami1112.wordpress.com/

"And it's all been lost before, so there's nothing to lose..."

"There are those that love dogs insanely and those that don't. But once you like a dog, you're sunk. You're a dog person for life."

UKC Kuvasz Standard
AKC Kuvasz Standard
Old 09-12-2012, 09:35 PM
Top Dog

I appreciate the convenience of my nook, but I don't enjoy it, if that makes sense. Like, I was grateful I didn't have to lug 6-7 books on our vacation this year, but I don't like the feel of an e-reader, and will always choose the physical book if both are in front of me.

I never got into mp3's. I had an ipod in high school. When the batter died completely, I never bothered to replace it. Just never used it. I have cds in my car, but 99% of the time I listen to the radio or am on my computer with grooveshark going.

It's weird too, because I'm such a techy person in most cases, but these are two instances where I don't feel a need to upgrade.
Old 09-12-2012, 09:42 PM
Felurian

I don't have an e-reader -- yet. I can see it happening though. It's just too convenient.

But I love books. Especially hardcover. And first editions of favorite authors.

LOVE my iPod, but I like having CDs as backups too.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-12-2012, 09:43 PM
such sights to show you

Well all of the above, really. I love real books, but you just can't beat an E-Reader for traveling IMO.

Old 09-12-2012, 09:50 PM
Wookie Collie

I love real books and will always buy a hard copy of books I adore for reading again later. But my Kobo Touch is the greatest thing ever purely for convenience, and for reading in bed. XD

I'm an mp3/flac girl all the way, though I also have an amassing collection of vinyl. Everything in between those is kinda meh.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 09-12-2012, 09:52 PM
orange iguanas.

I like the convenience technology has provided.... Can just keep my Kindle tucked in my purse and read whatever I want, whenever I want; don't have to flip through various CDs if I want to listen to different bands, don't have to buy a whole CD if I only like 2 songs...

I've been using MP3s forever so I certainly don't miss having CDs around. The Kindle is newer though so while I miss having real books, it's nice not having to find a place to keep them all and whatnot. I definitely wouldn't get rid of the Kindle.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-12-2012, 10:13 PM
Resident fainting goat

count me in the convenience club. I am so GRATEFUL to have an ipad to buy books on so I don't have to lug them around and don't have them all over the apartment.
but I ALWAYS buy hard copies of book I truly enjoy..and love reading them.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:39 AM
Top Dog

I don't have an mp3 player. I prefer vinyl albums when I'm at home and CDs in the car.

I prefer physical books but I would love a kindle, convenience is key. I hate having a lot of possessions so it would be nice.

"When the power of love overcomes the
love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix
Old 09-13-2012, 07:30 AM
Are you dead yet?

Love books. The smell and the feel of a book, whether it's brand new or really old... I love it. That said, not convenient, and we do have an e-reader which I primarily use since Tony isn't a big reader. I'd like to get a Kindle when I have more time to sit around and read.

I adore my ipod/iphone/mp3 players and prefer them over CDs. I still have a lot of my old CDs from when I was a kid, but I won't buy more CDs now.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:38 PM
Felurian

I had a surprise in the mail . . . .

Hardcover, first edition of The Wise Man's Fear . . . SIGNED by Patrick Rothfuss *hyperventilates*

Yes, it put up safe!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian