Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-10-2012, 08:08 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sekah View Post
I can see the appeal of tiny dogs, but she's really the antithesis of everything I like in dogs. I like that Cohen is focused on my every move and is ready to do just about anything I ask of her simply because she thrives on interacting with me.
My tiny dogs hang on my every word and follow me to every room, waiting for me to do something fun. I can't do much of anything without Mia thinking it's time for her. I think that's more of a breed/individual dog thing than size.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
My tiny dogs hang on my every word and follow me to every room, waiting for me to do something fun. I can't do much of anything without Mia thinking it's time for her. I think that's more of a breed/individual dog thing than size.
Yeah this.

Jackson is super focused on me, NEEDS exercise and attention and training or else he will drive me absolutely crazy. Of course, he's a terrier too. I think Chi's are in general known for being more laid back and easy. But I will say I've met some very active Chi's over the years. These two that were being fostered by someone I knew were absolutely crazy with drive and energy, I loved it.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-11-2012, 08:14 AM
Are you dead yet?

If I keep working this same schedule, I will not be getting another border collie or high energy dog. I can't do it. Love dogs that are into me, love energy and enthusiasm and drive because it's so fun when it comes to training, but I just can't live with that. Unless I can find a dog-related job that will allow me to spend more time with my dogs, Eve will probably be my last high drive working dog.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:32 AM
Top Dog

I have both. Ivan is go go go and keep on going. Good thing about him is with the new yard he can grab a toy and go play with it outside. Peewee is much more slow,slow. He does enjoy taking Steven to work, when I am home to walk with him though. But for the most part he is content to lay around.

Someday though I wouldn't mind having a combination of the two.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

I love my dogs that will lay by my feet till I get up, then they're ready for anything and go hard till we're done
Old 09-11-2012, 08:44 AM
Top Dog

Me too. My dogs are ready to go when I am. If they want to be out and about but I am being lazy they will find a bone or toy to play with or take another nap. If I want to hike for a few hours they are right at my side.

If I had to choose I think they are more slow slow slow than go go go. But they manage a nice balance. They will do crazy zoomies anytime I put them in the fenced off part of the yard but if they don't get their zoomies you can't tell by their behavior.

It's great having that middle ground and I think it's a large part why I am hesitant to stray from 'my breed'.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:48 AM
Top Dog

I don't mind lazy dogs. I cannot stand slow dogs. I find it impossible to wait 30 seconds for a mastiff to sit. But I don't care if they lay on the couch all day.

Mostly I prefer working breeds that get me out there and doing something. Otherwise I'd be happy to sit around the house all day long, lazin' it out.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:56 AM
Top Dog

Well, if I were to get back into agility or something like that, I'd want a dog with a little more get up and go. LOL. Jose` might have been okay when he was younger, temperament wise. He can get pretty revved up. But his knees aren't great even though he isn't too troubled by them and can run and jump still. Chulita was a speed demon when she was young. She could get revved up and run so fast, she was a blur. I kid you not. Those little Chihuahuas can zoom. But she's really showing her age lately. As far as their purpose...to be house pets, they're just the right balance for me. They always kept right up on our hikes with the big dogs. They zoomed and were excited to go. Around the house, I think a dog that is too intense and itching to do something all the time (my son's dog, Toker) drives me a little batty sometimes. LOL. Even Lyric wasn't like Toker is that way. Toker, a pit mix (we think) is very high energy, even at 12 years old.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-11-2012, 11:45 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I don't mind lazy dogs. I cannot stand slow dogs. I find it impossible to wait 30 seconds for a mastiff to sit. But I don't care if they lay on the couch all day.
^This.

Seabees was pretty much my ideal dog - she would play-play-play if you wanted to and she was up for anything at the drop of a hat, but when I didn't want to do anything and stimuli were low, she'd just lay down and chill, grab a bone and chew on it, or otherwise keep herself occupied (constructively! LOL). It didn't matter if I had been gone all day and she was crated, she'd still chill when I chilled. And yet she would have been capable going all day long if I wanted her to.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 09-11-2012, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
^This.

Seabees was pretty much my ideal dog - she would play-play-play if you wanted to and she was up for anything at the drop of a hat, but when I didn't want to do anything and stimuli were low, she'd just lay down and chill, grab a bone and chew on it, or otherwise keep herself occupied (constructively! LOL). It didn't matter if I had been gone all day and she was crated, she'd still chill when I chilled. And yet she would have been capable going all day long if I wanted her to.
That's what I'm talking about. My ideal too.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson