Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-10-2012, 03:50 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I like go go go most of the time. I do like a dog to be able to settle though and have a good off switch, but I don't like dogs to be too low energy.
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 09-10-2012, 04:06 PM
Top Dog

If I had to pick between the two, I like go go go.

I'm not going to lie, there are some days where I'm just like "GO LAY DOWN JACKSON!" when he's annoying me and whining at me, lol, but overall I love it. He MAKES me get out there and do things.

And I get very frustrated with Buddy, my dads dachshund/spaniel mix who is just super unmotivated and lazy. He won't follow a lure, and he could care less about going for a walk or swimming. It irritates me lol.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-10-2012, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

My current dogs are now, as adults, all middle of the road I guess. When the Dobermans were younger they were very go, go, go dogs and had a hard time settling, but they did. Just not as easily as they do now. Right now they are all super easy to live with. Nobody pesters me or requires a ton of exercise. They're happy to lay around the house and sleep or chew bones all day and maybe romp in the yard together if it's nice out. When I do things with them the Dobermans have energy to burn and will go forever, but they don't necessarily need it. Dance is happy with a bit of fetch and a stroll in the park. She has no need for constant motion and running and jumping and fetching. She enjoys it, but when she's had enough she's had enough. She doesn't need it. I laugh at her laziness, but to be honest it's annoying sometimes in the sense that for as much fun as she is and as much fun as I have with her, I wish she had some more intensity, drive and endurance to do more things and do things for longer. She's such a weirdo Toller in that way.

Tango was an always on the go, wanting to be busy and doing something type of dog and gave her all no matter what we were doing. She was a workaholic. But, she also had a great off switch. I've never had a high energy dog that needed to go for long runs or anything every single day. Tango would have loved that, but even she never pestered me about it. Although I kept her busy in other ways in and around the house when we couldn't actually get out to do things, as it did make her easier to live with. She didn't as easily settle in for a nap or anything like my current dogs do. She was awake and ready and waiting, although relaxed, way more than my current trio who really do sleep the day away snoring some days.

Past dogs were quite lazy and bored me like crazy as a kid. They were the whole reason I even got Tango. I wanted a dog that liked to be active. Something to take for walks, something to play fetch, something to play frisbee, something to teach tricks to, etc. I wanted a busy dog. My dogs growing up were the epitome of couch potato. They liked to do limited activity things (the Dachshunds liked to go for walks and they liked to chase small creatures and tree squirrels, and the Rotties liked to go for walks and play tug), but they just were not very much fun for me, although I loved them very much.

I definitely prefer a dog that likes activity and likes to be busy. Something fun. But it needs to have an off switch.

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 09-10-2012, 05:41 PM
Let it be

Usually I'd say more go-y but with a 2 year old and a newborn on the way I am totally okay with lazy couch potatoes.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:27 PM
Top Dog

LOL Paige. That's funny and so true. In my old age (lol) I like it how my dogs are. They just match me. If I'm feeling my oats and want to play, run, go on a hike, whatever, they're rarin' to go (well, Chuli not as energetic anymore) but Jose`is. But if I want to chill, they chill. Instantly. We can be playing wild games in the house or out in the yard and the minute I sit down, they hop up on the couch and curl up. It's just right.
"If you love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." -- Samuel Adams 1776

"When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty."

Thomas Jefferson
Old 09-10-2012, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

This is why I love Kailey. She can be a total spazz when we let loose, but in the car before and after a hike, she's chill as can be. Same with in the house, unless she has a case of the cat munchies.
I definitely like my "go-go-go" dogs. It's generally not too hard to teach an off switch. I find it easier than trying to build drive when there's not a lot there, anyway.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:51 PM
I'm All Ears

I've had both lazy bums and then very active dogs. I like both in one dog ideally. I like a dog that if I take them to the agility field, they put forth a lot of effort and have a lot of drive and speed naturally. I cannot stand watching dogs that walk an agility course. I cannot work with a dog without drive either. I've tried with Rose and having to constantly bring a dog up is not for me. I have immense respect for people that do it though.

My two right now are really really great. We did 3-5 hours outside running around this weekend every day and they both kept up well. Mia could have continued on forever. Summer starts to slow down after that but she is 8 and it was in the 90s outside. They both are a ton of fun to train and will put up with my training games. They have a lot of enthusiasm and spunk when I'm working with them. I love that about both of them. Very few other dogs I train with do I see have the same kind of energy and excitement my dogs do. The more dogs I train around, the more I appreciate my two. They both will behave if I skip a day or two or even three of exercise. As long as Mia gets some ball playing or training inside, she'll not be destructive. I like that Mia perks up at the drop of a hat. I can barely move and she'll be charging around the house ready to go. I love that Mia's lying down on the couch right now but if I were to grab her tennis ball, it'd be GAME ON. I don't mind that she's sometimes busy or barky or not content to lie around all day. I don't mind that she excites easily or screams in the car. I love that I have a dog that will play all day long if I want. But she doesn't have to either. As far as I'm concerned Mia's grown up very nicely into my perfect energy level.

Really, I like drive and an off switch. Mia's off switch developed around 2 to 2 1/2. I'm fine dealing with a complete crazy up until then. It's been very worth it.

Last edited by Laurelin; 09-10-2012 at 07:02 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:53 PM
♥Chloe & Violet♥

I prefer calmer dogs but can handle a dog with energy as well. Violet has quite a bit of energy but has a really good off switch most of the time. Chloe can be lazy or hyper depending on your mood. If you want to play with her she's up for it and loves it but it you NEVER exercised her she wouldn't care a bit. She sleeps mostly lol.

Chloe - 8 y/o Dachshund/Chihuahua | Violet - 2 y/o Siberian Husky
Rest in peace - Holly (Siberian Husky)|Misty (Siberian Husky)|Princess (Silky Terrier)
Forever in my heart - Dixie (Yorkshire Terrier)|Lucy (Silky Terrier/Yorkie Mix)
Old 09-10-2012, 07:09 PM
I'm All Ears

Haha, so I post this then Mia starts standing on my shoulder and whining then hitting me repeatedly in the head. So much for that off switch, Mia. Luckily her antics amuse me greatly and don't annoy me at all.
Old 09-10-2012, 07:33 PM
The Monster.

Cohen is relatively high drive for an Aussie, and I've grown to adore her for it. She's always rearing to go, and as other people have said, her desire for activity keeps me active. The drawbacks are that she can't go a day without a walk, or some sort of prolonged activity, or else she drives me crazy leaping to attention each time I adjust my weight or clear my throat. With an hour walk each day, and a few moments of play she's decent indoors and will laze about with me, but she will happily gogogo for 8+ hrs straight if the situation calls for it.

The Chihuahua came to me with my fiance, and I'm astonished how low maintenance she is. She's convenient, and can tag along with Cohen and I, or I can leave her at home if I feel like it. All she really wants to do is hang out. And I find her so BORING.

I can see the appeal of tiny dogs, but she's really the antithesis of everything I like in dogs. I like that Cohen is focused on my every move and is ready to do just about anything I ask of her simply because she thrives on interacting with me.

My fiance prefers dogs low maintenance. I like 'em crazy. I'm not sure where we'll end up in the future.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog