Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-10-2012, 09:14 AM
Chihuahua Power!

1. Chihuahua
2. Border Collie
3. French Bulldog or Staffie

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 09-10-2012, 09:24 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by RD View Post
Border Collie
GSD
????? So many fall into my #3 slot. Lately it's a toss-up between whippet and a generic bullydog, but I think that has a lot to do with me really wanting a lovable, laid back family pet and having two psycho dogs.
I know how you feel-- im also having strong feelings for Whippets and Boston terriers (not sure if I want to deal with a brachycephalic dog however).
The thing is that the JRT I had, even when she was a puppy, had an off switch. She had her normal crazy terrier traits outside, and was fairly driven and fun, but then when you got her inside she was as chill as can be! HIGHLY intelligent. I got her at 7 weeks (I know I know but hindsight is 20/20) and she was house broken by 8 weeks. Also she LOVED people- not to the point that I wasn't the apple of her eye though... lol..... I just don't know if I would find another like her and I don't know if her personality was standard of the breed- ive heard they can be psycho. Then again any dog can be psycho (esp a terrier) without training!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:31 AM
Just try me..

I breed JRTs.

You will likely have a harder time finding that personality in a shorty. The short legged ones (unless you go to Australia or perhaps look into Russel Terriers (UKC) are not really bred very well. Mostly BYB types as the short legged ones are not registerable as they are so far out of breed standard.

Dekka has the off switch to end all off switches. She is great with people, not so great with strange dogs in public though. A good working dog should have an off switch, what hunter wants a 'psycho' dog? Most of the JRTs out there are the badly bred ones, NOT good examples of the breed. Dekka is also attached in a way most dogs are not. I can't go anywhere in the house without her same around the farm. Most well bred JRTs bond very closely to their people.

I spend most of my time AFTER telling people I have JRTs is that they aren't hyper or crazy. Those are the poorly bred ones...
Old 09-10-2012, 09:34 AM
Just try me..

Though my top breeds are (ATM)

JRTs (always)
Whippets
Basenjis
Old 09-10-2012, 09:38 AM
Top Dog

Currently:
1. GSD
2. Cardigan Corgi
3. Australian Kelpie/Koolie
Old 09-10-2012, 09:43 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
I breed JRTs.

You will likely have a harder time finding that personality in a shorty. The short legged ones (unless you go to Australia or perhaps look into Russel Terriers (UKC) are not really bred very well. Mostly BYB types as the short legged ones are not registerable as they are so far out of breed standard.

Dekka has the off switch to end all off switches. She is great with people, not so great with strange dogs in public though. A good working dog should have an off switch, what hunter wants a 'psycho' dog? Most of the JRTs out there are the badly bred ones, NOT good examples of the breed. Dekka is also attached in a way most dogs are not. I can't go anywhere in the house without her same around the farm. Most well bred JRTs bond very closely to their people.

I spend most of my time AFTER telling people I have JRTs is that they aren't hyper or crazy. Those are the poorly bred ones...
Thank you for this ^. Im thinking she was most likely from a byb (this is quite some time ago). I do prefer the short legged look but then I'm more interested in personality. She had such a unique, intelligent personality! Sooooo smart- the smartest dog I have EVER had. I have fostered some pretty intelligent breeds (border collies, Australian shepherds, poodles) but none of them came close to the JRT I had.
Yes she was a bit dog aggressive but not unmanageable.
The bonding aspect is another things that I love about them. They just prefer their people over anything else! I think another JRT will be my next pup! When I go to make the decision I'll definitely come to you and get some recommendations!
Old 09-10-2012, 09:58 AM
Glutton for Crazy

Belgian Malinois
Pit Bull
Rat terrier, Whippet, GSP, Golden. <yeah, no one truly owns my 3rd spot.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-10-2012, 10:15 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dekka View Post
A good working dog should have an off switch, what hunter wants a 'psycho' dog?
There are two JRTs that come into the vet clinic a lot who are used on nutria and both of them are pretty amped up and crazy. I don't know what they're like in the home (I'm not sure they're inside dogs), but they always act like they're on crack.

"When the power of love overcomes the
love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix
Old 09-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Top Dog

1) Toller
2) Koolie
3) Belgian Shepherd (Groens and Tervs specifically, although I like them all)

Ripley
Keira (Very much missed 2007-2014)
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 09-10-2012, 11:37 AM
Just try me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffdog View Post
There are two JRTs that come into the vet clinic a lot who are used on nutria and both of them are pretty amped up and crazy. I don't know what they're like in the home (I'm not sure they're inside dogs), but they always act like they're on crack.
There are exceptions to every rule lol. But I would think if they are kennel dogs being at a vet would be verrrry exciting