Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-09-2012, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Default For those that have been to Europe

We're moving to Italy in March, so a month or so ago I had to go down to the clinic and make sure they had my shot records on file. (They didn't, so that was a mess...)

But anyway, turns out I hadn't had Hep A or Typhoid. Hep A was required, so I got that then and there, but they say Typhoid is optional, although recommended.

Personally, I'm not for giving shots all willy nilly, especially since I have an autoimmune issue that likes to act up every time I get shots. So, if I NEED it I will take it, but otherwise I would prefer to not.

Just looking for other opinions, especially others who have been to Europe?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

I never had to get any special shots to go to Europe. Granted, I've had all the normal vaccines my whole life, so if Typhoid is something they normally give to a child I've had it, but if it's not then I definitely didn't get it.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:26 PM
Top Dog

I was actually surprised they weren't stabbing me with more needles. I've always heard you had to have a lot of crazy vaccines to go over there, but it's just Typhoid?

If it's just turning out to be another American "we are better/cleaner than everyone else" thing, and it isn't a huge issue over there, then I probably won't get it. Although they are going to force me to get the friggin flu shot anyway.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

So weird. Heck living there nobody ever asked me if I had my shots!
Old 09-09-2012, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
I was actually surprised they weren't stabbing me with more needles. I've always heard you had to have a lot of crazy vaccines to go over there, but it's just Typhoid?

If it's just turning out to be another American "we are better/cleaner than everyone else" thing, and it isn't a huge issue over there, then I probably won't get it. Although they are going to force me to get the friggin flu shot anyway.
There are really no "crazy vaccines" for Europe. Italy is a first world country; you aren't going to the middle of the rainforest or an impoverished country with dirty water.

Quote:
Typhoid fever remains a serious worldwide threat especially in the developing world affecting an estimated 22 million people each year, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. The disease is endemic in India, Southeast Asia, Africa, South America and many other areas.
http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/typ...N=risk-factors

I'd skip it, unless you plan on doing a lot of travel to Asia or Africa while you're over there.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:51 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
There are really no "crazy vaccines" for Europe. Italy is a first world country; you aren't going to the middle of the rainforest or an impoverished country with dirty water.

I'd skip it, unless you plan on doing a lot of travel to Asia or Africa while you're over there.
Pretty much what I was thinking too. First world country.

But no, I'll probably just stay in western Europe. Maybe Greece, but mostly just Italy, France, Spain, Germany, etc.
Old 09-09-2012, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

Oooh, do Greece! Athens is probably to coolest city I've ever been to. The Parthenon took my breath away!
Old 09-09-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm All Ears

I don't remember getting any shots before going to any european countries. It hasn't been that long ago either.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM
Resident fainting goat

I went to London, Denmark, Scotland and France this summer.. no shots lol they were all perfectly wonderful places. I've only been a handful of places where I felt like I should've been vaccinated before entering and they were all in the US of A haha

Last time I got a shot to travel was when we went to Kenya, and even then..I thought it was silly! Kenya was beautiful and very modern mostly, and it's not like I was drinking out of the river on safari! haha
Old 09-09-2012, 08:25 PM
Top Dog

I was shocked that I didn't need any vaccinations to go to Egypt. That was a dirty, dirty country We did our very best to avoid any un-packaged food or water, but even still ended up with a nasty norovirus!