Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 09-09-2012, 07:12 PM
Top Dog

sheep were not the only stock GSDs were used on. in fact as late as the 1930s GSDs used for hogs had their tails docked. so i'm not sure how the dog worked cattle as compared to how germans used them to work cattle. but he did a fine job filling in the cur dog role.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:57 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aleron View Post
The type of herding GSDs were bred for is not at all being a "ranch dog". There's very few opportunities to work GSDs the way they are really supposed to be worked, let alone opportunities for them to be "real working dogs". Most herding trials are pretty far removed from what GSDs were developed for as well and tend to be more modeled after BC style herding, except for the HGH which is recognized as a working title for breeding purposes by the SV.
This has always been my understanding as well, from talking with GSD owners who also participated in the same herding circles I ran in. They are definitely neat dogs to watch work!

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-09-2012, 10:12 PM
*Now with Snark*

White clover farm is about the closest thing you'll find to a traditional herding GSD owner on this side of the pond.

He has a website about using GSDs to tend. He also has vids on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5Rz4f...0&feature=plcp
Old 09-09-2012, 10:50 PM
Top Dog

Judge is hard on sheep but amazing on cattle. I work him on cattle when I can and it is so much fun!
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

I commented how GSDs are not used as shepherd dogs anymore on another thread and a few people told me I was wrong. So I did some googling and I found this article really interesting:
http://www.german-shepherdherding.co...to-schutzhund/

Apparently there are still GSDs who herd and apparently Schutzhund does help preserve, to some extent, that instinct.

(That's why I love being wrong sometimes- always an opportunity to learn something. )

"When the power of love overcomes the
love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix
Old 09-10-2012, 12:48 AM
Top Dog

Judge's nephew is a working Ranch Dog. He lives on a lot of acerage and helps his owners move their cattle ..mainly the bulls from what I understand from emails. Very neat tto watch him. He is really amazing to watch as he herds all their stock,alpacas,ducks,sheep,llamas etc. I'd definitely say that his instinct was nurtured from a puppy and thus he is far better at it than the other GSDs I have seen try it.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 09-10-2012, 02:12 AM
Jelly baby?

I haven't researched GSD herding style because they're not my breed, but knowing they're a "moving fence" makes a TON of sense. When he's out with the chickens, AJ will NOT allow them near the fence and his style is totally different from Logan's style. Unless he's actually IN with the chickens working, Logan will stand nose-to-beak with the chickens right at the fence. When he's in the chicken run he's definitely in to move them around. AJ never even cares to enter the chicken run, he's content to stay outside and make sure they don't pop out through the gate (and he's good at it).

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 09-10-2012, 07:52 AM
Top Dog

GSDs have certainly been a multi-purpose dog throughout history. So yes, you will find that they've been used on cattle. Also a good number of people have hunted with the breed and I'm sure some still do. But the job they were created for was tending huge flocks of sheep and protection.
Old 09-16-2012, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

Lily is only half, but her herding drive sure as hell didn't come from the Sibe half of her LOL. It was pretty apparent when she circled up the dry ewes and was like okay, now what?

I don't herd with her because 1. the way my stepdad runs stuff is always a fubar and I don't want my dog ruined because of what other people are doing when we're moving animals, and 2. I couldn't afford to keep doing herding lessons after I took Scout in.

It would be so fun to herd cows with a GSD!
Old 09-16-2012, 04:47 PM
Felurian

Bimmer was great working the cattle on the farm, especially when it came to moving them into the barn. He did everything calmly and quietly, no fuss, no bother, very businesslike.

I didn't even have to go with him a lot of the time, I could just tell him to go check and see if there were any cows in the barn (when there was hay stored in there) or out of the pasture. He'd go take care of it. He'd even go to check during the day without me asking.

The Filas picked up that habit from him.

They have their own herding style though, lol. NOT easy going.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian