Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-09-2012, 07:30 AM
overdogged

The biggest thing that I'm trying to do differently with Bean is to not give him the opportunity to become a dog-chaser the way that Steve is. We've focused a lot on being chill around other dogs. I think he's just *naturally* more chill than Steve, and less inclined to chase, but he's getting Very Heavily Rewarded for it anyway.
and Hambone, flyball hopeful
Save the pit bull, Save the world
Are you Unruly?
Old 09-09-2012, 07:36 AM
Top Dog

I started working on teaching Gusto about nail clipping when he was about 7 weeks old - he was still a screaming banshee about it.

Since Gusto is the second, he already got a lot of benefit from what I knew with Meg. There isn't a lot I would change about how I raised him. Better leash skills, for sure. More recall work. The sports stuff and in house stuff is about where I like it with him.

Old 09-09-2012, 09:04 AM
Top Dog

Well I would definitely meet the dog before bringing him home next time (though we still would have got him I think, it was mom's dog and thus her decision)

I would probably never adopt a puppy from a shelter again, only adults from shelters.

I wouldn't raise it around my family lol (He's never chewed a pair of MY shoes, Has only gotten maybe two of my napkins, otherwise none of MY things have been touched because I clean up or heavily coat with bitter apple).

If it happened to be a fearful or simply more reserved puppy/dog I wouldn't try nearly as hard to make it interact with people. I think that may have helped Tucker's aggression along, he felt everyone who came up was going to try and touch him because in puppy hood that's what happened, I never told people no because I wanted to try and get him socialized, and people trying to touch him is what he finds terrifying.

Otherwise I can't really think of anything. We handled his feet from early on and he was super about getting it done until he got quicked a few times, now I can't do them at all (I can still handle his feet wonderfully as long as there is no object in my hands). He follows his commands just fine for me. The problems I would like to go away I'm not sure how raising him differently would have prevented it. The barking and the new found dog reactivity.

Maybe crate training...but I don't know if it's really a crate problem or a separation anxiety problem. If it's the latter then I don't know what could have been done differently. He has screamed when isolated from day one. It would be nice for that to not be there so we could bring him to vacations with us where we stay in hotels or condos so we won't get kicked out for noise if we leave to go eat or something.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 09-09-2012, 03:05 PM
Top Dog

I would work on leash manners. With Yoshi she was so good at staying with me I never put her on a leash. Now when I have to she whines.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:19 PM
Top Dog

Probably a lot of things. I've grown up with and have myself raised a lot of dogs, but there is always something I want to do differently.

With my next puppy I want to:

Work harder at making nails a good thing (would be nice to have one dog who didn't think nails are a big deal)

Do more shaping because it's fun.

Take even more classes.

Teach obedience behaviours properly so I don't have to fix things later.

And most importantly, not stress out about making her into the perfect adult dog quickly and just enjoy her puppyhood to the fullest.

There are probably more things also, but those are all I can think of at the moment. But over all, I think my dogs all turned out pretty great aside from Dance's people shyness and there aren't a whole lot of overly important things to change. Maybe just tweak a bit.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 09-09-2012, 05:21 PM
Top Dog

I learned that I need to get a well bred working line dog and not a rescue. For a variety of reasons.

Definitely more shaping and capturing! Though I'm glad I've learned how to properly fade lures too and I'm sure some of that will be used as well if needed!

Lots of tug games and tug rewards! Backchaining and teaching the out first.
Old 09-09-2012, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Stays. I'm teaching stays before anything else.
Old 09-09-2012, 08:01 PM
such sights to show you

Whether in spite of me or because of me, I'm overall pretty happy with how Squash is growing up, thanks to some great advice and great resources (thank you, Control Unleashed, Puppy Primer, and an awesome puppy class instructor!) I was steered towards before he came home. Also in no small part thanks to Maisy for being a very challenging adolescent and teaching me a lot about doggie minds before Squash was even a twinkle in his deadbeat daddy's eye. But there are a few minor things...

1. Make the bathtub happy fun treat place. Other than Pip for his allergies, I don't routinely bathe my dogs, so this didn't really even occur to me. The first time he was ever dirty enough to need a trip to the bathtub I think he was over a year old and he did not and does not care for it.

2. Be more strict about LLW. Although if I'm totally honest with myself, I just don't care all that much about LLW and because that sort of shines through, I pretty much suck at teaching it. So I don't know if I'll actually follow through with this.

3. I have inadvertently rewarded a few sort of annoying attention getting behaviors. Primarily pawing. But, like #2... I don't care about them all THAT much so I don't know how motivated I will be to stick to it.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 PM
BusterLove

Recall, Loose Leash Walking and LOTS more play and fun in different environments. This is probably the thing I regret the most with Quinn and now we're having to work hard to get her comfortably playing with me in new places.

I'm glad I got in early with the tail clipping. I got lucky that Quinn has 100% white nails and I've never quicked her, she's so nervy I don't think I'd ever get near her feet again if I did. Since she was 8 weeks old we've played "Clip a nail, get a treat" everytime and she's thankfully, still pretty good about it. Buster doesn't like it but he has always been good and just doing as he's told and he tells me if I go too deep.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:36 PM
Taxiderpy

Tracking. I really want my next dog to be a scentwork dog, but we'll see how that works out. If it's a fila or something along those lines, strong possibility. If it's an azawakh, then no chance.