Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-08-2012, 10:25 PM
Top Dog

Default Things you will do/did do differently with your next dog

What are some things that you maybe learned from your first dog that you WILL do different with your next dog?

I know that for sure I will immediately start work with nail trimming and teeth brushing. These were things I did not start early on with Jackson and had to work much harder at later on. Teeth brushing we are pretty great on, but nail clipping is still a chore I don't really do. So next dog will be attempted to condition to it better.

Also, from the beginning, treating thunderstorms like a "FUN" thing. Whip out the toys, the food, etc. Just in case they get a phobia. I know it may not prevent it, but I'd like to try.

Recall. I would have started much earlier. Luckily, Jackson is pretty good naturally now, but I think if I had started as a young pup actually working on and not just assuming he wouldn't run away that we would have more solid success. Up until about 10 months old, I let him off leash all the time without ever actually training anything. He got iffy after that and would sometimes dart (in the 90 acres of farmfield behind our house). Now, at almost 4, I probably could trust him but I generally still put him on a long line.

Brit & Jackson

Old 09-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Nails, even though they terrify me. LOL

Teaching the pup to shape and offer from the beginning.

Training the best off-switch I can manage.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-08-2012, 10:34 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

Foot handling and nails! Upendi is awful awful awful about nails, the first time I took her to the groomer they told me to sedate her and bring her back because they couldn't do them. Mina is better, but still gets antsy and will still jerk her feet even though she tolerates it which makes her more likely to get quicked. Cara is a dream. I can have her lay down on the bed tell her to wait and go around all her toes with no problem. I do the the same for trimming between her paw pads.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 09-08-2012, 11:11 PM
I'm All Ears

Overall I am mostly pleased with how I raised Mia so far as a pet goes. I have learned a ton more though about sports training since getting her and would like to start off foundation work sooner and more thoroughly. With Mia I did teach her to shape young but I slacked on a lot of training. I didn't know what I was doing and so now I have a lot more pre-agility type exercises I know to work on. I'm going to do a lot more this time around.

Also I will encourage tug more. Mia came to me with a darn good tug then I never worked with it after we both discovered liking ball better. So it's not there anymore.

I'm also going to do better crate training. My dogs both suck at being happy in a crate and not being a loudmouth.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:18 PM
Top Dog

I really think the nail thing is individual to the dog. And I've really always known small dogs to be pretty bad about it...Ritzy is my worst, and I worked with her as a puppy. They seem to have more leverage to thrash around...haha. Romeo I've never had to do his nails, even as a puppy, and I went ahead and tipped a teeny bit the other day and he was just like whatever.

Old 09-08-2012, 11:19 PM
*Now with Snark*

I want my next dog to be my formal obedience dog so my concentration will be there in the beginning on building a more solid foundation to learning, ignoring distractions, and one on one focus.

This also means I'll actually be traveling to shows again.
Old 09-08-2012, 11:46 PM
orange iguanas.

I'd pay more attention to instilling an off-switch and proper reactions to people/other dogs.

Probably recall and LLW early on as well. Juno is fine with both but the process would have been much smoother if I would have encouraged it from the beginning. But to be honest I didn't know you had to like... teach dogs to do that stuff lol. Lucy and Molly had me much too spoiled.

Most things I would do the same. Because my dog is pretty awesome.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006
Old 09-09-2012, 12:32 AM
Mainstreme Elitist

Oh and I will keep up with loose leash walking more, Cara was great on lead and then we started doing everything on a long line or off lead and her leash manners really slipped. However her recall is great.

Also I would work on appropriate greetings. All three of my dogs will jump on people if given the chance. Jumping will be something that I make sure is never ever allowed with any future puppies.

Oh and also I'd like to try solely shaping from the start.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 09-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Let it be

I'd do more recall work at the start. Bandit came to me with an already engrained desire to stick close but his recall is so so if that makes sense... he won't go over a certain distance but he isn't the fastest at coming back. He will finish a sniff before he boogies on over.
Old 09-09-2012, 02:34 AM
Top Dog

Shaping shaping shaping.

Also if the puppy doesn't want to greet strangers, they don't have to.