Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-12-2012, 10:10 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
It's had a ridiculous amount of issues. Just in 2012- lost the speakers, air conditioning (both electrical issues), transmission went out, now the braking issue (which isn't related to the rotors or the brake pads and the dealer acts like I'm crazy and there is no problem....)
You sure that car wasn't a flood car?

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-12-2012, 10:41 PM
Twin 2.0

There are going to be a lot of 2009's hitting the Certified lots right now too, as people's leases run out. Lease vehicles are a great way to go, because people baby them to death, because they're afraid of getting charged at the end of the lease. They'll be lower miles as well.

Lexus, even though it's technically Toyota at heart, seems to just have a poor track record. I'm not entirely sure of the cause, but they don't seem to hold up as well as their mainstream counterparts.

Carmax...that's going to be iffy. They cannot certify vehicles and since they're such a huge "buffet line" of vehicles, they tend to get the lower quality techs and such too. Also, they don't have a pay plan worth a hill of moldy beans for their sales staff, so you'll basically just get pushed into a car and then will never hear from them again.

Some dealerships are shady, some are not. You have to buy from a dealership to get a Certified car and after working in sales for a while, if I don't buy new, I'll only buy certified. I've had good luck with the Honda I bought off CL last year, but I got supremely lucky in that regard.

And for the love of God, I don't care how tight your budget is or how nice the sales people are, DO NOT BUY a Kia or Hyundai. Just...don't.
Old 09-12-2012, 11:02 PM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
And for the love of God, I don't care how tight your budget is or how nice the sales people are, DO NOT BUY a Kia or Hyundai. Just...don't.
Dunno . . . Bob traded in his Lexus for a Sonata last year and loves it. He bought the tweaked model though, and it's a lot quicker than his Lexus was.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

— Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-14-2012, 12:50 PM
I'm All Ears

Okay so took it in to Rhonda's mechanic.

1. Transmission is slipping. Which he thinks is due to the fact there is very low transmission fluid. Which the Lexus people supposedly looked at LAST WEEK.

2. Something in the suspension is loose, which he thinks is from when they replaced the first transmission a few months ago.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:52 PM
Felurian

Low fluid will do that.

I'd be complaining. Directly to the dealership owner and service manager.

— Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-14-2012, 01:08 PM
Top Dog

I don't have much for suggestions, but I totally feel for you. My Caliber was nothing but problems the past year, and then I was without a car completely for a month. I hope this gets sorted for you one way or another!

Quote:
You sure that car wasn't a flood car?
I figured by the time I got rid of it that my Caliber was probably a flood car. It had tons of issues, mostly electrical, and water stuck inside the doors every time it rained - like, stuck in there for weeks at a time before draining. It also had a funny smell if it was left in the heat with the windows up. Turns out it came from Texas shortly after hurricane season (I found the previous owner's info when I went to change the cabin air filter).

I ended up giving it back to the bank because I was so sick of it and couldn't afford to put thousands of dollars of repairs into it. I bought a used car from a private party for $1400. It needs a few small things, but nothing major, and it feels like a sturdy, solidly build car. Even at 178,000 miles it's WAY, WAY better than my Caliber was at 80,000 miles (or even at 30,000 miles when I first got it).
Old 09-14-2012, 01:14 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
Low fluid will do that.

I'd be complaining. Directly to the dealership owner and service manager.
Yup going to be complaining. Especially since this is two dealerships that have looked at this transmission now.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:17 PM
Felurian

With all the flooding there's been in recent years, that's something to look for. Sometimes flood damage, especially electrical stuff, won't show up for awhile.

Just long enough for someone to pawn it off on an unsuspecting buyer

Quote:
Yup going to be complaining. Especially since this is two dealerships that have looked at this transmission now.
I would say complain to Lexus/Toyota, but they aren't exactly a company that's known in the industry for their attention to owner problems. You're more likely to get results from the dealer.

— Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-14-2012, 01:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Okay so my transmission went out around... May? I got it replaced and it was under warranty.

Since then I've noticed my car feels a little jolty when I put on the brakes. It didn't before, I am 100% positive. I took it in and told them and they said I needed new brake pads and that mine were worn down a lot. But the guy drove it around and it didn't have any other problems. So we replaced the brakes and I picked it up yesterday.

Well, it still feels jolty like before! I am not sure how to describe it but I can feel it through the brake pedal. Almost feels like I'm running over bumps on the road while I'm braking.

Should I take it back in? I'm really not sure what's wrong. They said they looked over the brakes. Tires were rotated. Oil changed...

Anyone have an idea? It's driving me crazy and I know my loaner car (same make and model, different year) braked MUCH smoother than my car.
Doesn't sound like a transmission issue. (We own a transmission shop and have FOREVER!) The ONLY thing I can think of transmission related would be the torque converter is defective. If it has been to 2 tranny shops and neither found an issue w the trans, even after being put on a scanner, then it pry isnt. It is so hard to imagine what it would be by "jolty" lol....sometimes a TC would make it feel like rumble strips, but usually when in the throttle not slowing down to brake......hmmm...rotors?

Old 09-14-2012, 07:38 PM
Twin 2.0

Are the rotors warped? I just asked one of my service writers what he thought and that was his opinion.