Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 09-11-2012, 08:29 PM
Top Dog

I know a lot of people love their toyotas but my moms 05 has been nothing but problems. She says they were training someone on the line that day.

If its been issue after issue trade it in. I'd feel bad selling it to someone even though the dealer will.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber
Old 09-11-2012, 08:34 PM
I'm All Ears

It's had a ridiculous amount of issues. Just in 2012- lost the speakers, air conditioning (both electrical issues), transmission went out, now the braking issue (which isn't related to the rotors or the brake pads and the dealer acts like I'm crazy and there is no problem....)
Old 09-11-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm All Ears

I have noticed that it jolts more braking downhill. You don't feel it often on even/uphill roads but downhill it's terrible.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Behavior Nerd

The RAV fit my stuff, but the CRV was too small for the crates I needed. Consumer Reports, and lots of friends, highly recommend Toyotas for durability.

Right now there are a ton of 2011 RAVs on the market because rental agencies are selling their "old" ones when they buy more. We got ours for a great price and it just made more sense than new right now. I did negotiate a year long warranty on the RAV and it still has the balance of the 5yr/60000 mile powertrain warranty from Toyota as well, so that helps with concerns about anything that might pop up initially.

ETA: the RAV was redesigned in 2007, and 2007s had more bugs because they were the first version. CR says that RAVs 2008 or later are a better bet.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:41 PM
I'm All Ears

I guess there are risks whichever way you go. The Lexus was a loaner car for the dealership before we got it. Only 2 years old and less than 30k miles on it at the time. It was 'certified pre owned' but still has had a lot of issues.

I really would like to not have to dip too much into my savings but my stepmom was adamant that buying used meant you were 'getting someone else's problems'.

I really want something reliable with decent gas mileage that is a SUV type, but not big. But that can fit at least one large crate in the back and two small crates in the seat.

Where's the best places to look at used cars? I can't remember if my friend recommended Automax or carmax...
Old 09-11-2012, 08:50 PM
Behavior Nerd

I went on cars.com and autotrader and then emailed dealers to get more info - CarMax is higher priced imo and I didn't like the salesguy's lack of customer service when I went to ours here.

I played the dealers I got off cars.com and autotrader off each other via email until I had three "top picks" based on total price including all taxes and fees, and visited to test drive at that point. I picked the vehicle that was the best combo of condition and price. My RAV4 was a good 3-4 grand cheaper at a smaller dealer an hour away than the RAVs at local, large dealerships. I had my mechanic check it out as well and was told I got a great deal.

Old 09-11-2012, 08:53 PM
I'm All Ears

Did you trade in your old car?

I definitely want a high quality and not terrible mileage on a car if I were to get a new one. But I don't need a bunch of bells and whistles on my car either.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:26 PM
Top Dog

if you bought it new or certified used, then you need to raise more hell w/ the dealer, my mom, bless her heart, she raised so much hell with her toyota dealer that they eventually brought a guy in from japan to listen.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:33 PM
Behavior Nerd

No trade because mine was totalled by a hit and run driver.

And Pops has a good point - certified used is expected to be higher quality, so someone needs to know that you're not happy. The vehicle might even fall under a "lemon" law!

Old 09-12-2012, 07:47 AM
Top Dog

Do not buy an old rental car! People beat them up and abuse them. I looked at a couple and was told not to by several mechanics even though car fine then.

Lemon laws are for cars bought new but you should be raising hell. Make them fix it now for you to get it sold. My friends van was "certified" at a Toyota dealership and it breaks all the time. It's just a label. In the fine pri t just like the extra warranty means nothing. I hate the thought of buying used again if you can tell!

They have great end of the year sales. My friend got a new top of the line escape for what she was going to pay for a used one practically. She drove two hours but find a deal and someone who has old stock.

I go in knowing what I'll pay and what it's worth. I've angered many a car salesman. I go withmy friends car shopping. I stick with the larger dealerships because here the smaller ones charge more in general and expect to see you back in and don't want to take off the oil change money etc. depends though. When I get my truck I am going to the smaller dealer out here cuz they know what they are doing.

If I have any beliefs about immortality, it is that certain
dogs I have known will go to heaven, and very, very few
persons -James Thurber