Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-07-2012, 08:59 AM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
If it's a clinic you've otherwise had good experiences with, I would really encourage you to give them a chance instead of just slipping away quietly in the night.

/.02
Just seconding this. I know at my work I can't help people unless they let us know what's going on. I would at least call or write and let them know.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:07 AM
Top Dog

I think it's different depending on the clinic, I agree with calling and asking their policy.

I had two dogs I was dog sitting at their vet once because one had blood in their urine. I was in the exam room waiting and was told that an emergency had just come in and it was be awhile. I had to wait probably 20 minutes or so, turns out a dog was brought in who was in a fight with a coyote and had part of his tail bitten off.

The emergency clinic in my area is awful and I hate the thought of having to take a dog there and it would be an absolute last resort for me. If I thought the dog could make it, I'd take them to the clinic that is an hour away rather than the one that is 20 minutes away. It's that bad.
Old 09-07-2012, 09:09 AM
Top Dog

Oh, I would definitely let them know what the issue is. He needs to get blood work done in a week, and no matter what, I'm booking it with my usual vet so I can discuss what happened. They are relatively new to me - both dogs have been in once before, but came very highly recommended. I don't know that any of the vets saw him between the time my mother got there and when I did, but while I was in the exam room with him waiting, a nurse came in to grab something off the counter and just looked at us, smiled, and apologized for the interruption.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:21 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

TBH I would be seriously thinking about switching. When Auggie was squatting and straining to pee but unable to, I called my vet and told the girl at the desk what was going on... and she told me they were booked solid for the day, but she would talk to doc when he got back to see what he wanted to do. Are you kidding? The dog is straining to pee and nothing is coming out and you want to try and put this off?
I called Auggie's chiropractor (also a DVM) since we have been working with her on his UTI's and stuff to tell her what was going on, and I was super upset and told her I didn't even know who to take him to if they couldn't get him in... and she was like "Um, no, he HAS TO BE SEEN TODAY. They have to get him in today. I'm calling them to make sure they know that."

Like Emily's experience, it might seem minor that the person at the desk is just stupid and doesn't know what's serious and what isn't... but that's major to me. Poorly trained staff is not good, particularly when that staff is standing in the way of you getting your dog in to the vet.

I wasn't ready to bail just on that, but it was alarming, and things have happened since that are all combined into why Payton's annual is with a new vet's office. I would honestly trust your gut on this one. If you're ready to find a new vet over this... do so.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-07-2012, 10:47 AM
Top Dog

I know our vet bumps appts. for emergencies. I was there once for vaccinations and someone ran in, said, "My dog was hit by a car," two techs ran out, carried him in on a blanket, took him straight to the back and we all waited an extra half hour to be seen.

I'd call and talk to the vet about this, and think about switching practices.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:05 AM
Top Dog

I actually left my family vet of 15yrs. over something like this.

I had a Ragdoll kitten (7 months old) named Logan who randomly got very sick the day after Christmas. He was lethargic, vomiting, had diarrhea, just a mess. Took him to the vet and they did blood work, x-rays, all that stuff. He was anemic, dehydrated, and his white blood cell count was so low that the vet questioned the accuracy of his machine. He had 20% of what he should've had. He also had some other counts (that had to do with the liver) that were off. He also had some blood in his stool & a bacterial overgrowth in his intestines. The vet gave him some fluids, and 2 shots to help with the vomiting, and to calm his intestines. Told me to come back if he hadn't improved, but that he probably just ate something he shouldn't have. Sent me home with 3 different meds.

I really wasn't satisfied, I knew something BAD was wrong. I should've insisted he stay there, but again, we had known the staff there for 15yrs., I trusted them. Within a couple hours after leaving the vet, he was 10x worse. I rushed him in (called first to tell them) and when I got there, they put me in a room and left me there with him.. didn't even rush him to the back. I was flipping out, opened the door leading to the back of the clinic and told them that he was dying and someone better do something, so they finally took him back.

We ended up putting him down that day.. he was some crazy auto immune disease, all of his organs were shot. So it was bound to happen, but the way they handled it was just awful. Sorry that was a little long/ranty, but I know how you feel. I would definitely look into switching clinics.. I did and couldn't be happier.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:43 AM
Top Dog

I'd be pissed. My vet gets me in ASAP on an emergency. They get me in quick anyway. I would have heads rolling in the situation you described.
The OldMan Hobie-CGC Rotten Old Dog 11/14/99-01/08/2013
Talulajhs RedChrome Kahpone-CGC TT BH TDI 10/31/04-06/07/10.
Old 09-07-2012, 12:09 PM
Water Junkie

It's an emergency. Of course you drop the appointment and take care of the emergency. I know I've been at the vet's office before when an emergency is in, and the emergency takes precedence over whatever is scheduled or any walk-ins for flea meds/food/etc. As it should be!

I think you are doing the right thing by keeping your blood work appointment to take the time to discuss the matter with the vet personally. It could be something as simple as a receptionist not doing his/her job properly.

l ~Jennifer~ l
l Handler for Team Blazin' l Photographer at Joy Photography l Nikon D40X with 35mm 1.8 Nikkor Lens l
Old 09-07-2012, 12:21 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

I would be talking to them and probably switch vets. I worked at a small rural vet clinic years ago and I know when we got an emergency in we would shuffle everyone else around to make sure the emergency got handled.

I think I am going to have to call my current vet now and find out what their policies are about this sort of thing...

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 09-07-2012, 12:35 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I know humans make error, but at least at my vet, theres always 3 or so receptionists... so that wouldnt be ONE person making an error, it would have to be all of them/their staff is improperly trained which is not ok with me and I'd be finding a new clinic.

When Renegade was going into anaphalactic shock at the vet, I opened the door to grab my vet and couldn't see her. So I walked into the next room and said something like "I need a vet NOW, or he's going to die". That vet definitely excused themselves and left to tend to Renegade. I saw the people in the waiting room later and apologized, and they completely understood.

The next day, when he was having trouble breathing, i called them while i was on the way with him to say be prepared, and 2 people were outside waiting for me to pull up so they could grab him.

IMO if they won't put emergencies first, they are in the feild for the wrong reasons.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13