Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 12-04-2013, 09:59 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Woke up this morning with no internet and the error, "Your LAN does not have a valid IP configuration." Okay. So I called Comcast, hoping they could talk me through fixing it. What a bunch of inept retards.
"Reboot your router."
"I did. 10 times. That alone isn't going to fix it."
"Well, everything is working on our end. Call someone else."
The HECK? I'm used to making troubleshooting calls to ATP at work, and even though more often than not their customer service sucks, they at least try to help you fix the problem.

So, I turned off my modem and my router. Turned my modem back on. Unplugged and reattached my ethernet cable. Unplugged my internet cable. Did that whole ipconfig/release, renew thing. Reattached my internet cable. Rebooted my router. And wahlah! Internet! Screw you, Comcast guy! I am VICTORIOUS.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 12-04-2013, 10:40 AM
Sit! Good dog.

My house looks like a bomb site and is covered in thick black dust!!!!!!!!

Why is this good....?

They're putting our inglenook in to house our new log burner
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 12-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Woke up this morning with no internet and the error, "Your LAN does not have a valid IP configuration." Okay. So I called Comcast, hoping they could talk me through fixing it. What a bunch of inept retards.
"Reboot your router."
The HECK? I'm used to making troubleshooting calls to ATP at work, and even though more often than not their customer service sucks, they at least try to help you fix the problem.

So, I turned off my modem and my router. Turned my modem back on. Unplugged and reattached my ethernet cable. Unplugged my internet cable. Did that whole ipconfig/release, renew thing. Reattached my internet cable. Rebooted my router. And wahlah! Internet! Screw you, Comcast guy! I am VICTORIOUS.
Mine does that sometimes..I always have to unplug/reboot both the router and the modem
Old 12-04-2013, 03:34 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

My new Nikon D5100 will be here tomorrow.... Umm hell to the yeaaa!!!
Not Named- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 12-04-2013, 04:03 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
"Reboot your router."

That's pretty much what he was telling you to do. First level tech support ALWAYS has to tell you to power cycle your devices first. unplug every cable from modem, router, and whatever else may be there.... wait... plug back in and honestly 9 times out of 10... it fixes it.

I used to work for Verizon DSL and we had to MAKE people do that first and if they wouldn't do it then we couldn't help them anymore because if THAT was the issue then nothing else we did would fix it at the time and it would waste everyones time. People would say "I already did that" and we would say "Ok do it again with me on the phone" and guide them through unplugging EVERYTHING and plugging it back in and seriously 9 times out of 10 ... it fixed it and they would be like "Oh... um... that worked" lol

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 12-04-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparks19 View Post
That's pretty much what he was telling you to do. First level tech support ALWAYS has to tell you to power cycle your devices first. unplug every cable from modem, router, and whatever else may be there.... wait... plug back in and honestly 9 times out of 10... it fixes it.

I used to work for Verizon DSL and we had to MAKE people do that first and if they wouldn't do it then we couldn't help them anymore because if THAT was the issue then nothing else we did would fix it at the time and it would waste everyones time. People would say "I already did that" and we would say "Ok do it again with me on the phone" and guide them through unplugging EVERYTHING and plugging it back in and seriously 9 times out of 10 ... it fixed it and they would be like "Oh... um... that worked" lol
He mentioned nothing about the modem. It was just the router he told me to reboot. And I had already done that to no avail.

I think my main issue was that he was obviously going through scripted motions. I think if I had told him my computer was smoking and flashing a pink light he would have ssaidthe exact same thing. And when he got to the end of his script, it was all, "Well...even though the problem is still not fixed, I can't help you anymore." Frustrating.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly

Old 12-04-2013, 05:12 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Quote:
He mentioned nothing about the modem. It was just the router he told me to reboot. And I had already done that to no avail.

I think my main issue was that he was obviously going through scripted motions. I think if I had told him my computer was smoking and flashing a pink light he would have ssaidthe exact same thing. And when he got to the end of his script, it was all, "Well...even though the problem is still not fixed, I can't help you anymore." Frustrating.
They do have a script. The base level tech support is very basic and they have to follow a set of steps or they get in trouble. BUT if your problem is not solved by first level techs they are supposed yo send you on to the next level

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 12-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Wookie Collie

Quote:

All tech support work through scripts, especially first level folks. That's what they're supposed to do. In general the scripted cases solve a good 90% of issues without having to move up the ladder.

Moral of the story: Always power cycle everything first! To this day it solves most of my tech issues.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 12-04-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllieMackie View Post
All tech support work through scripts, especially first level folks. That's what they're supposed to do. In general the scripted cases solve a good 90% of issues without having to move up the ladder.

Moral of the story: Always power cycle everything first! To this day it solves most of my tech issues.
If rooboting ever doesn't work, where would I call to get more indepth support? Had that not worked, I don't know what I would have done.

Regardless: extremely glad it worked. I can't survive without internet. No netflix and no skype with Michael!

Old 12-04-2013, 07:59 PM
Kung Pow Fish

Quote:
If rooboting ever doesn't work, where would I call to get more indepth support? Had that not worked, I don't know what I would have done.

Regardless: extremely glad it worked. I can't survive without internet. No netflix and no skype with Michael!
they would have had more people they can transfer you to