Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 06-26-2013, 06:05 PM
Top Dog

Just finished a spreadsheet of heartworm/deworming schedule/dosages for the dogs. Yay! I actually feel good about where I'm heading with this :-) Also started the process of switching from our usual vet for vaccines to the vets at UT for titers. It's silly, but I'm really excited about putting less into my dogs' system...and saving a TON of money. I WAS spending $180/month on Heartworm/dewormer alone....plus yearly boosters. With the new program, I'm looking at around $250 for the year (including shipping prices and supply gathering prices that I only have to do once).
Old 06-26-2013, 06:26 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Just finished a spreadsheet of heartworm/deworming schedule/dosages for the dogs. Yay! I actually feel good about where I'm heading with this :-) Also started the process of switching from our usual vet for vaccines to the vets at UT for titers. It's silly, but I'm really excited about putting less into my dogs' system...and saving a TON of money. I WAS spending $180/month on Heartworm/dewormer alone....plus yearly boosters. With the new program, I'm looking at around $250 for the year (including shipping prices and supply gathering prices that I only have to do once).
Yay! Having gone "off the grid" with my heartworm and gut worm meds myself, I feel similarly. Don't get me wrong, for most people, they need the vet to just give them a pill, LOL. But for dog nerds, it's actually pretty easy to manage and I feel very in control of my dog's health this way.

Old 06-26-2013, 06:50 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Where did you guys get the dewormer? After having two separate bouts of tapeworms (and seeing a few recent posts about it) I want to add it to my mix as well. We've done the flea/tick ourselves for the last couple of years, and this is also the first year we'll be using the ivomectin.
Old 06-26-2013, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
Yay! Having gone "off the grid" with my heartworm and gut worm meds myself, I feel similarly. Don't get me wrong, for most people, they need the vet to just give them a pill, LOL. But for dog nerds, it's actually pretty easy to manage and I feel very in control of my dog's health this way.
Yes, I feel really...accomplished LOL Plus, with 8-9 dogs...it gets EXPENSIVE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MericoX View Post
Where did you guys get the dewormer? After having two separate bouts of tapeworms (and seeing a few recent posts about it) I want to add it to my mix as well. We've done the flea/tick ourselves for the last couple of years, and this is also the first year we'll be using the ivomectin.
For the common tapeworm, I'm using Praziquantel (34 mg)...which is what you can get anywhere for dogs (like TSC or the pet stores)...but I'm buying the fish tabs...same stuff, only WAY cheaper.

I'm worming for roundworms, whipworms etc with Panacur (knock off).
Old 06-26-2013, 11:58 PM
Top Dog

Sometimes, I forget how awesome the Zoo Science program is.

Today I restrained sheep and goat, did a hoof trim on a sheep, restrained a Poitou donkey for wound treatment, fed browse to sheep and goats, fed ice treats to the horses and donkeys (and the mule) and made new ones, stopped at the zoo vet clinic and learned some stuff, and...just did a ton of really awesome things. And my whole summer so far has been like that, various awesome hand-on things. Prior to that, the last 2 years were spent doing basically a very thorough VIP tour of the zoo, focusing on different parts in different classes, and learning about the animals along the way. Also, there was a stray cockatiel at the zoo (NOT one of the zoo animals..and I learned the cockatiel we have in education was found in our pasture).
Old 06-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Silence, peasants.

New Ipod! I will now go back to having a soundtrack for my life, mhuahaha.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 06-27-2013, 04:19 PM
Top Dog

Best birthday week ever. Seabiscuit and Dirty Dancing on Blue-Ray, a clever little coffee mug, new phone, new shoes (knee-high converse), cupcakes from the local amazing cupcake shop, had dinner with BeAu, Rhio, and brother and ordered my first legal drink (and didn't get carded).

And I thought the birthday festives were over. But then I walked into the den and saw something covered all in blankets and pillows. And after some minor confusion over whether or not it was a computer or a tv, I discovered it was an all in one Samsung desktop. The most amazing computer. I can control it via voice, via hand gestures, I can finally really get some use out of it for editing photos or artwork and it's great for just browsing too. 1 TB harddrive. It has an HDMI port, so it doubles as a tv monitor for my PS3.

<3 BeAu and Rhio.
Old 06-27-2013, 05:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Best birthday week ever. Seabiscuit and Dirty Dancing on Blue-Ray, a clever little coffee mug, new phone, new shoes (knee-high converse), cupcakes from the local amazing cupcake shop, had dinner with BeAu, Rhio, and brother and ordered my first legal drink (and didn't get carded).

And I thought the birthday festives were over. But then I walked into the den and saw something covered all in blankets and pillows. And after some minor confusion over whether or not it was a computer or a tv, I discovered it was an all in one Samsung desktop. The most amazing computer. I can control it via voice, via hand gestures, I can finally really get some use out of it for editing photos or artwork and it's great for just browsing too. 1 TB harddrive. It has an HDMI port, so it doubles as a tv monitor for my PS3.

<3 BeAu and Rhio.
Wait, you're only 21? I had guessed WAY off lol. Also, happy birthday!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:09 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Wait, you're only 21? I had guessed WAY off lol. Also, happy birthday!
Lol Yep, only 21. And thanks!
Old 06-27-2013, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyzelle View Post
Lol Yep, only 21. And thanks!
Well, you act very mature for your age!