Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 01-16-2015, 09:01 PM
LABRADERP!

Default I'm conflicted

So as the title says I'm conflicted, the older I've gotten the more I've felt a void, so to say. See ever since I was little all I ever wanted to be was a Vet Tech or at least, working in a vet office. But the older I've gotten I've tried out different careers, and attempted different majors nothing fit and I've felt miserable.

So now here I am 26 years old working full time at a dead end job and I'm thinking of possibly going back to school to follow my dream, until I looked up core classes I needed and realized how much math is involved and my heart sank even more. See I have a severe learning disability when it comes to math, numbers don't work right in my brain and they jump up and go in different different directions and thus I get super confused and upset which triggers a panic attack which then results in me freaking out even more over even the simplest of math problems. It debilitating to say the least.

And this brings me back to my conflict. I so badly want to follow my dream, but I'm scared of taking the core math classes and chemistry classes. I had an IEP in all my years in school for my ADHD, my EBD, and my math issue as well as my anxiety towards math. I just don't wanna fail out of the program and I haven't even looked more into it or talked to the college about it.

Anyone have any thoughts or possible insights?
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 01-16-2015, 09:09 PM
Top Dog

You don't have to have a degree or vet tech license to get a job at a vet clinic, and many can train you on the job as an assistant at least if you show the interest.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:49 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
You don't have to have a degree or vet tech license to get a job at a vet clinic, and many can train you on the job as an assistant at least if you show the interest.
^ This!

Math is a part of the job (calculating drug doses, converting between measurements, etc.), but you shouldn't let that stop you from working at a clinic! If you have a good work ethic, are able to learn hands on, and have good handling ability, most clinics have no issues doing on the job training. You may never have the full responsibilities of a liscened tech and the pay may not be brilliant, but there isn't any reason you can't try it out and see how you like it!

I have a bachelor's degree in Animal Science, but never went to tech school. I'm not a registered tech and all of my training has been on the job training. Some of the best "technicians" I've worked with haven't been registered and clinics have overlooked it due to their proficiency. Now, some clinics will only hire licensed techs...but some don't care. It really depends on their policy.

That's my .02 anyway.

I have considered becoming registered, but at this point I'm just not sure. I do as much CE as I can and I feel comfortable in my abilities. Becoming registered may increase my job security, but it won't raise my pay by too too much, and the time/costs of going back to school when I don't want to work full time for the rest of my life... meeeeehhhhh.

Old 01-16-2015, 11:39 PM
The Littlest Hound

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Some of the best "technicians" I've worked with haven't been registered and clinics have overlooked it due to their proficiency.

That. I've never been registered, I like to think I was darn good at my job. The best technician I've ever known is not registered. I love her so much I followed HER to another hospital lol

The Plotts:
UKC GRCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Liz
CH CCH CA 'PR' Jebb's Bayou Rage OFA Hips: Good

And the "off-colored" hounds:
Daisy Duke Garrett CGC, RA & my <3 dog (basset)

Very Missed:
UKC GRCH CCH 'PR' Skyplott Teddy Bearhug (5/2004 - 3/2014)
UKC CH CCH 'PR' Hannas Creek Irresistible You
'PR' Dead River K-N-A Swagger - the BAD puppy!
(and Autumn, the feist.)