Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old Today, 02:39 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Question Bullets and burgers.

I'm quite surprised there's no thread about this. It's being debated to the hills on the news here.

General consensus seems to be a tragic preventable accident but why in the world does a 9 year old need to play with an uzi a gun that's been banned here since about world war 2 I think....

Brits don't understand US gun culture. And I mean that literally.. We don't have places like that here and everyone is shocked!

(awaits responses about rights to do what people want how they want and about personal responsibility).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old Today, 06:06 AM
Top Dog

What's to debate? There is hardly a person alive that thinks an automatic weapon should ever be in the hands of a 9 year old. Especially one with such a short barrel and hard to control. I'm just glad it wasn't the girl that was killed, though she'll have her own issues to deal with throughout her life.

Thankfully the overwhelming majority of people aren't this stupid. So if this is a catalyst for debate in the UK to ban guns in the US, how about they start with banning cars. They are much more dangerous to our children.

Oh, and I found at least 6 shooting ranges with a 2 second search in or near London.
Old Today, 06:58 AM
Are you dead yet?

In what I've googled in the past five minutes, uh, there's no reason to put a gun like that in the hands of a little girl who can't control it. I really don't understand the logic behind that so I have no defense for the instructor who didn't step in and suggest something more size-appropriate for her to learn with.

How terribly sad.
Old Today, 08:18 AM
such sights to show you

Agreed... there's no debate because pretty much everybody agrees it was a stupid, needless accident regardless of their opinions of the larger issue of guns/gun control.

Old Today, 08:20 AM
Top Dog

I heard about this on the radio, my thoughts as the story was revealed: "Kids, guns, hunting culture, blah blah, well it's not illega- AN UZI??"

So yeah. I'm not going to engage on the topic of kids with long guns, but AN UZI? REALLY?
Old Today, 08:31 AM
Top Dog

I hadn't heard about this, but I just wanted to say I drove by this place on our trip a few weeks ago! It's literally in the middle of nowhere and I was commenting "Bullets and Burgers? That's weird.". Crazy.

No, a 9 year old should not be handling an uzi.

Old Today, 08:34 AM
Sit! Good dog.

I think it's sad for the instructor (obviously) but omg how traumatised will the girl be. I also have NO idea why the video was released?! Any ideas???
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old Today, 08:47 AM
I'm All Ears

Yeah I haven't seen anyone who thinks it was a good idea to let a 9 year old shoot an uzi.

I have not seen the video- the one on the news cut away before the incident.
Old Today, 08:51 AM
Show Dog

Unfortunate combination of irresponsible idiot parents combined with an irresponsible idiot "instructor". As a Canadian who doesn't understand the idea of every Americans right to have pretty much any manner of gun around because, well, they can - I'll reserve comment on THAT debate.

But really, we all have a similar interest in laws made that slowly infringe on our rights. THIS is exactly how those laws come into being. "Idiot Laws" that protect average intelligent people from the general idiot population who think that, because it's not written as illegal, it must be ok. You know, because it's not wrong (illegal) it must be right (legal) without taking into account just how incredibly stupid some actions can be. I mean really, who ever thought to actually write a law stating don't let a 9-year old CHILD shoot an Uzi. Sort of like a law of "Don't let a child play Hot Potato with a set bear trap".

Old Today, 09:11 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

The really weird part is they have age and size requirements for handling the different guns and apparently she was well within those requirements??
It is really bizarre and sad.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog