Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 12-15-2004, 06:16 PM
Andy

Default What breed??

ever since i had roxy taken out of my life, ive found myself hating myself more everyday. i would never want to replace her but i really need a companion. this will never mean anything to me like replacing her, she will always be with me, mentally. but i have been researching and trying to find the perfect dog for our household. i want a dog that i can cuddle up with. i dont want it to have really short hair because i want her to be really comfortable to cuddle up with. my mom wants one that doesnt shed, is really easy to train, and has kinda short hair. we will be keeping her in the house due to not having a fenced yard. im not sure about housetraining but i might get to training her to use the bathroom outside. this time we will be getting 2 of them, two girls; because it was absolutely the worst feeling and site seeing and thinking about roxy just inside of the house, bored for 8 whole hours, just pacing back and forth eagerly waiting for us to come home and play with her, looking up every few minutes wondering how much longer it will be until we returned. looking as if she was abandoned. i must have started crying while sleeping and thinking about her in class. but i want a dog that wont really bark and will be defensive over me. is small to medium size. doesnt shed, or not that much. easy to train. etc etc. and i was thinking about a min pin, a basenji, a chihuahua, and a havanese. i was really thinking about the havanese, what do you think? then maybe the min pin. if there are any other breeds, please post those too.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:48 PM
Top Dog

If you want a dog that is easy to trian, I would NOT recomend the Basenji for that reason and you said you don't have a fenced in yart. Basenjis are a VERY premitive breed and I don't think they fit your criteria to well. When it comes to training, Basenjis care nothing about pleasing you (at least most are that way. Very independant) and can be very hard to train. (I don't know about Chis a whole bunch. And I don't think Min Pins are the best breed when it comes to training either because they have a stubborn streak and they can bark a lot, but correct me if I'm wrong.)
When I was reading you post a Poodle came to mind. They are easy to train, don't shed, are 'fluffy', and come in tiny, small or medium. I think that would be a good breed for you.
The Havanese sounds good to but I've heard that they are very hard to house break.
Old 12-15-2004, 06:51 PM
GSP/Lab Mix!

My chihuahua girl is exactly how you described. Exept for the long hair. But's chi's come in long hair also.
I would not recommend a Min Pin if you are unexpeirenced with them.
Here are more breeds you could consider.
-Labradoodle
-Schnoodle
-Affenpinsher
-Bichon Frise
-Austrailian Terrier
-Chi-Poo
-Dandie Dinmont Terrier
-Italian Greyhound
-Maltese**So Cute!!
-Malti-Poo**Extra Cute
-Toy Poodle
-YorkiePoo
-Yorkshire Terrier

Old 12-15-2004, 08:10 PM
Andy

thanks. i talked to my mom, narrow minded, and she said there is no way ever she will ever buy a poodle. she says they are purely ugly. oh well i was reading about basenjis and they seem awesome. you you talking from experience? it said something about it being ok if you dont have a yard, as long as it goes out for walks. and the min pin i was thinking about them because it can be a small dog like my mom preferred but i want a defensive dog where it will bark at whoever taunts me or touches me (i dont get along with many people around here, many of you know) and the chihuahua, i talked my mom into thinking about a long haired chihuahuas they look adorable and small. but the basenji. i was thinking about a maltese or a shih tzu but i really dont like how they have that long hair like that, i love how roxy's hair was but i doubt i will find another one like her. shes a special one. my mom has a small allergy problem and it says that basenjis are self cleaning (like cats) and dont have the usual dog odor and that it would be good for people with a slight allergy problem. but im still not sure after what rose's gal said.
Old 12-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Andy

after i think about it, i might scratch out the basenji idea. im looking for a dog that goes by those decriptions i said and also i want a "cute and adorable" dog. i want one that is cute and you cant resist from picking her up and cuddling with her. basenjis might not be the kind of dog im looking for. neither will a min pin. a long haired chi maybe?
Old 12-15-2004, 08:47 PM
GSP/Lab Mix!

Chihuahua's arwe wondeful dogs. My chihuahua is the sweetest BUT if someone messes with me that she dont know she WILL bite. Most Chihuahua's are like this. I cuddle with Tink all the time. She sleeps right by me and she's small enough she dont take up alot of space. Basenji's also cant bark. They Yodel..if I'm not mistaken. I really think you should consider a long/short coat chihuahua. Mine is short coated.
Also, Pomerainians,Rat Terriers,and Dachsunds are sweetie's too.
But see, I prefer the Pitties and Staffies. I love them!!lol
Old 12-15-2004, 09:14 PM
Andy

yeah im really thinking about chis now. i really want a pom but my mom doesnt like long haired dogs becuase they get dirty to easily and sometimes when they use the bathroom the feces get stuck on their hair on their bottoms and its a big mess trying to wash it off everytime. and yeah thats true basenjis dont bark, they yedol alot. i dont know if thats a good thing or a bad thing but oh well. i heard chis are stubborn though. like its really hard to train them, let alone housetraining. is this true?
Old 12-15-2004, 09:58 PM
GSP/Lab Mix!

Mine wasnt. Actually she was really easy to train. And she isnt stubborn at all. She listens very well. Have you checked www.dogbreedinfo.com? They have all kinds of breeds.
Old 12-15-2004, 11:15 PM
Felurian

That's a good call on deciding against the Basenji. They are hunters and need to run. Just walking and running with a human on a leash isn't nearly enough exercise for one.

Have you considered going to a shelter or rescue and looking? Especially consider dogs that are older puppies or adults. I remember how much trouble you had with training because you had no help at all with Roxy while you were at school; with an older pup or dog you can usually bypass the housetraining crazies, and even if you do have to do some housetraining it doesn't take as long since their bodies are more developed and they don't have the problem of not being able to hold it long enough.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 12-16-2004, 01:35 AM
GSP/Lab Mix!

Well They are on the dog breed info and I just put on there what it said after I put all his reduirements ibn the breed selector.