Small breed, lacking teeth

MafiaPrincess

Obvious trollsare Obvious
I know small breeds can have random teeth issues.. I've just never experienced it. I brought a 13 month old home tonight.. and well, he's lacking teeth. Not a lack of room as his mouth isn't that small, but there are a ton of gaps.. Doesn't seem to be hurting him, he eats happily. Doesn't really want me to examine his mouth but he has tiny nubs where canines should be. Not worn down, just not full canines..

Is this 'normal' in some breeds? He's on the rather large side of the breed.. but his teeth are still lacking.

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Is this a Frenchie? My friend tells me that's super common and to quote her, "Our standard doesn't even require our breed to HAVE teeth."

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
It's normal in some breeds or at least not uncommon. Mia is missing a couple teeth here and there. She has full canines but is missing one upper front tooth.

I've never seen nubby canines though.

Is this a permanent addition!?

crazedACD

Is this a friendly dog? I've heard of people filing down biting dog's teeth...yeah.

Otherwise...yeah messed up teeth in small dogs are kind of common. The shihtzu I brought home has no bottom teeth between her canines.

MafiaPrincess

Hilarious Emily.. I can't say I'd heard that even in all my researching. He is not though.. He is a chinese crested, but a rather large one.. in height and lord, in weight at the moment.. Past 2 years I've looked hard at CCs, mini poodles and frenchies. This guy fell into my lap though.. And it's kind of gratifying that while not from a bad situation, he's pretty happy with the upgrade so far.

His nubby canines haven't been filed. It's not wear like fiber glass tennis balls and rocks do either. While from a breeder, he was a free rehome directly from her. Will need to keep on Beau's weight loss thread to help this guy. I've never had anything this fat...

If he works out, he will be perma. I'm pretty sure he's pretty cute under the scraggly fur, with a bath and brush and future fitness :) He needs a new name.. Planned to post about that tomorrow though. Couldn't wait to ask about his teeth though.. Tongue can hang way further out without teeth in the way, lol.

AdrianneIsabel

Glutton for Crazy
It has long been suspected that the mutation influenced a very early stage of embryonic development on genes that control skin, hair, nails and teeth. It is known that one of three primary germ layers, the ectoderm, becomes the epidermis and all derivative structures including teeth. This study provided more insight into the mechanics of how this occurs. The protein encoded by FOXI3 is produced in embryonic tissues that develop into hair. The mutation activates development of hair and teeth in one of the genes and suppresses it in the other one. Leeb says the mutation “most likely interferes with the genetic instructions for hair and teeth proteins.” Although the exact function of the FOXI3 gene is not yet completely understood, other genes in the FOX family are known to control embryonic development in mammals.
http://www.amyfernandez.net/id72.html

That should help... Need photos now in exchange!

Emily

Rollin' with my bitches
Hilarious Emily.. I can't say I'd heard that even in all my researching.
LOL yeah, it's bizarre. Dentition is def not a priority in the breed. My friend wouldn't breed one with teeth that were causing issues, but yeah.

I see it's a CC! Cute, I can't wait to see pics. Good luck with the little guy!

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Cresties are really prone to exceptionally bad teeth and missing teeth from what I know.

I love Cresities. Is he a PP?

Aleron

What everyone else says - it's pretty common for Cresteds to end up with few to no teeth at a very young age.

MafiaPrincess

I'd heard CCs have bad teeth.. but I was expecting 'bad' rather than missing.. and am still kind of taken back by it.

He's a hairy hairless, who needs more grooming to show off pics of his chubby chubby body..

He's got crest, tail and some socks.. and fine whispy hair on his body. I body clipped him earlier tonight.. I need to go get a 40 blade for him though, as the hair left is still a decent nubbly length. He's floofier post bath though.. and I think in time his socks will get thicker..

Aleron

I'd heard CCs have bad teeth.. but I was expecting 'bad' rather than missing.. and am still kind of taken back by it.

He's a hairy hairless, who needs more grooming to show off pics of his chubby chubby body..

He's got crest, tail and some socks.. and fine whispy hair on his body. I body clipped him earlier tonight.. I need to go get a 40 blade for him though, as the hair left is still a decent nubbly length. He's floofier post bath though.. and I think in time his socks will get thicker..
Bad teeth in them often mean shallow rooted teeth that fall out. It's not uncommon for them to start off lacking dentition either, in that they just never get all the teeth they are supposed to have to start with. I think it's pretty unusual for hairless (most of which are now "hairy hairless") CCs to make it to old age with even half of their teeth because they are also prone to the typical toy breed dental issues too. Hence all the ancient CCs and CC mixes with tongues that don't stay in their mouth entered in the ugliest dog competitions.

FWIW Most show people use some form of hair removal cream on their dogs to get rid of the stubble, it's very difficult to keep them so closely shaven without irritating their skin and it's extremely hard to get them smooth with just shaving. If he came from a show breeder, you might want to ask what they do to keep their dogs looking hairless.

MafiaPrincess

Thanks guys. Thanks for the extra info Aleron. I knew confo people use nair and the like to make their dogs smooth as possible. I shaved him with a 40 today and did his face which he did not enjoy. I don't think he played salon and spa much at all.

I didn't purchase him, I adopted him.. he didn't come from the sort of breeder who shows. She enjoyed him being scruffy.. so no grooming advice to be had there sadly.

MafiaPrincess

Trying.. He's like a whirling blur... PEaceful on my bed looking cute.. Click the camera, he paws his face, yet another blur pic... Argh. Looking at my cam to see if any are good enough to start a thread..

Kerri says she'll take decent pics tomorrow..

I had her take a before grooming pic yesterday.. It's like night and day..

Members online

No members online now.